MandE

Travelling into Canada

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Now that I have my 2 yr permanent resident card, what documents do I need to bring to travel between Canada and the States?

The last time I travelled, I brought my advance parole documents. Are these still needed now that I have my perm resident card?

Also, the last time I travelled, I got pulled into secondary while they processed my advance parole. What can expect this time? Will it be a smoother crossing?

Edited by MandE

K-1 Journey

04/09/06 - met for the first time

03/24/07 - proposed!

03/28/07 - sent I-129 to NVC

04/04/07 - NVC received I-129

06/26/07 - NVC sent approval

07/12/07 - Montreal Consulate recieved approved petition

07/20/07 - recieved Packet 3 from Montreal

07/24/07 - sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

** obtained police certificate

08/07/07 - Montreal confirmed that they recieved Packet 3

09/21/07 - INTERVIEW BOOKED NOV. 9TH, 9AM

10/17/07 - Completed Medical (took 5 minutes!)

11/09/07 - Visa APPROVED in Montreal (should receive in 2-3 weeks)

11/16/07 - picked up visa at the post office today (2-3 weeks my a$$)

Entered US December 4th!!

Married December 22nd

AOS Journey

01/11/08 - sent AOS package to Chicago Lockbox

01/13/08 - USPS confirmed delivery of AOS package

01/14/08 - received new SSN with married name

01/19/08 - received all 3 NOA's

02/04/08 - case transferred to CSC (notified online)

02/11/08 - biometrics

02/14/08 - case received at CSC

03/08/08 - approval notice for travel document sent (notified online)

03/12/08 - EAD card approved

03/14/08 - received AP

03/15/08 - received EAD

03/16/08 - AP and EAD touched?? I have already received them.

03/26/08 - AOS touched!!

03/27/08 - AOS touched again...

05/12/08 - Card Production Ordered!!

05/13/08 - Welcome letter has been sent

Lifting of Conditions I-751

02/12/10 - Mailed petition to Vermont

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We just made a trip into Canada recently. My hubby (the Cdn) brought only his green card and his Cdn passport. AP papers are no longer needed now that you have your 2 yr green card. Might I suggest you bring your marriage certificate along, just in case they need to bridge the name change (assuming you changed your name at all :) ).

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, crossing with your green card is easy. Bring your passport and your marriage certificate if you need it to bridge a name change, but a green card is all you need entering Canada or re-entering the US.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I came back (flying) in June the US POE wanted my PASSPORT as well. I originally just handed them my greencard (as they have never even looked at my passport in previous trips, just greencard) and the POE officer asked for my passport. She looked through every page and even stamped it!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

They stamped my passport going back into the US when we went to Canada for Christmas 2 years ago as well. I just presented both at the same time so don't know if they would have asked if I didn't automatically show it.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thast why the last time, this past june, i just gave them my Greencard! Previous times I gave both, and they didnt even look at my passport. So this time only greencard,and then she asked for my passport!! But ya know women, always on a power trip!! lol only kidding

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

When I was coming back to the US a few weeks ago from Ottawa, the POE officer asked me for my passport and STAMPED IT as well. I wasn't sure why he would stamp a POE stamp in it.

I always take my marriage cert. with me when I cross because I have yet to change my passport to my married name. As others have said, to bridge the name change.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Other Timeline

I always hand over both my passport and my green card when I'm returning to the US, because the first time I used my green card to come back in I was returning from a trip to Scotland, and the guy gave me a dirty look and said "where's your passport?". So I just always hand over both now, whether they want 'em or not.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.