Johana&Jared

Getting married after visa has expired or calling off engagement

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi everybody. I assume this might not happen so frequently, but I do not longer know if getting married is the right thing to do or not. I'd rather not to dwell that much into this, but as soon after I arrived into the US, after almost 2 years of being in a relationship with my fiance, things change. He wasn't nice to me, actually, he was cruel and mean in many ways, and I got sick of this. After two months and a huge fight, I couldn't put up with his attitude anymore and I broke up with him and flew to Chicago and Maryland, to see a friend and my aunt there and recover from the break up. As soon as I returned to Dallas (my back then ex fiance lives in Houston, TX), he came to Dallas, to where I was staying, and asked me for forgiveness, saying he had changed. It broke my heart because he seemed to mean every word, and I missed him and hated the way things turned out to be, so I forgave him and came back to live with him in Houston. However, I told him I didn't trust him like before, and I still wanted to return home and finish my studies. I am an archaeology student and am in third year, in my country, and therefore have 2 years left. Mi K1

Jared & Johana

August 13th, 2006: Met at 22:45:17 PM

March 17th, 2007: Became boyfriend and girlfriend! :)

August 2nd, 2007: Jared comes to Peru!

December 10th, 2007: Submitted our K-1 petition, filling for Vermont Service Center

December 14th, 2007: Received NOA1 - receipt

December 30th, 2007: Jared comes to Peru on my birthday!

February 17th, 2008: Touch

February 27th, 2008: Received NOA2 - APPROVED!!

February 28th: NOA2 hardcopy received

March 7th: Our files are sent to NVC

March 13th: Papers leave NVC and head to the US embassy in Peru

March 18th: Our papers arrive at the US embassy in Lima!

March 24th: Confirmed our interview date & received Package 3/4 (also, Jared buys his flight ticket to attend the interview, sweetness!!)

APRIL 18th: our INTERVIEW date! APPROVED!! visa granted! :)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Hi everybody. I assume this might not happen so frequently, but I do not longer know if getting married is the right thing to do or not. I'd rather not to dwell that much into this, but as soon after I arrived into the US, after almost 2 years of being in a relationship with my fiance, things change. He wasn't nice to me, actually, he was cruel and mean in many ways, and I got sick of this. After two months and a huge fight, I couldn't put up with his attitude anymore and I broke up with him and flew to Chicago and Maryland, to see a friend and my aunt there and recover from the break up. As soon as I returned to Dallas (my back then ex fiance lives in Houston, TX), he came to Dallas, to where I was staying, and asked me for forgiveness, saying he had changed. It broke my heart because he seemed to mean every word, and I missed him and hated the way things turned out to be, so I forgave him and came back to live with him in Houston. However, I told him I didn't trust him like before, and I still wanted to return home and finish my studies. I am an archaeology student and am in third year, in my country, and therefore have 2 years left. Mi K1 expires on July 25th, and ever since I got back with my fiance, he tells me he wants to me my husband badly. He seems to have changed, now he's the nicest guy in the world, and we stopped having daily arguments. However, I have only been with him 11 days, after I forgave him and came back... friends say it might be a trick and lie to get me back and then cause me to live in hell! However, I love him and feel that he loves me, but I'm uncertain about the marriage. He insists he wants to be my husband... but we're running out of time! so if I accept him, we'd pretty much get married a few days after my visa has expired. How bad does this affect us? getting married after my K1 has expired, for a few days... this situation sucks, and I really hate the government for the few months they grant to engaged couples. I really wish I could get to spend more time with him, my biggest fear is to call the marriage off and once in my country, miss him badly and just want to be with him, or also, in case he has really changed, my fears are to think I could have left a good man go! anyway, any advice on the matter?

Greetings.

Jared & Johana

December 10th, 2007: Submitted our K-1 petition, filling for Vermont Service Center

March 24th: Confirmed our interview date & received Package 3/4 (also, Jared buys his flight ticket to attend the interview, sweetness!!)

Mods, please merge the two topics started by this poster.

I have already moved both to the correct forum.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm so confused on this one. A 2 year K-1????????

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

On a K-1 visa you HAVE TO get married within 90 days -I think- or the visa ceases to be valid.

The K1 ceased to be valid the day they entered. Their status is derived from the i-94 now. If they are unable to get married within the 90 days allotted, they can still file AOS but concurrently with the I-130 (being that they would no longer be adjusting from the K1).

Timeline
I'm so confused on this one. A 2 year K-1????????

2 years to get my degree, yeah. Meaning, I could just call off the marriage here and go back to resume my studies, given how things have turned out.

Jared & Johana

So what is your question?

Sister, I think what she is asking is if it's okay if they get married even though their K1 has expired.

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

So what is your question?

Sister, I think what she is asking is if it's okay if they get married even though their K1 has expired.

You are k1dding me, right? :blink:

no...

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline

Yeah, at this point, I suggest you go on back and start all over again if necessary.

Since you didn't marry with the original K-1 and it expired long ago, you are way out of status.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Yeah, at this point, I suggest you go on back and start all over again if necessary.

Since you didn't marry with the original K-1 and it expired long ago, you are way out of status.

Start again? They can still adjust, just not based on the K1.

Timeline

Start again? They can still adjust, just not based on the K1.

She's not even sure she wants to marry the guy.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.