D & M

AOS Interview in Fairfax VA in August

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

What happens in these interviews?

Joint back statements, etc, we need, but our lawyer said that, of the tax documents we only need the tax document from us filing jointly. I heard that they at least needed all of MY (USC) tax documents from the past three years.

Any advice for the interview would be Greatly Appreciated.

We are quite nervous!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey don't be nervous..we went to the fairfax office too and had a good experience. We're still waiting for the greencard and a final approval (hopefully) but the experience was painless.

Yes, they did ask us for the latest year of joint taxes. I think there is no harm in taking your last 3 years of returns. It is better to be OVER prepared. We took a huge bag of documents and photos.

Best of luck!

Our interviewer literally asked us nothing (maybe cause we've been married 3.5yrs? don't know) only--1) how did you meet? 2) show my your joint docs 3) show me photos of the wedding... She liked the photos :)

That was it..then she said..looks good but need X Y Z and once I have that..i should be able to make a decision.

simple...

I-485 , I-765, I-130: NOA1 : 1/23/2006

Biometrics 2/23/2006

Temporary EAD given for 1 month ONLY b/c of Infopass appt: 5/1/2006

Went back to renew EAD through Infopass: EAD card was not given "due to reasons we can't disclose"

5/3/2007: Confirmation that EAD is delayed due to background checks. (started to use the senator, ombudsman and was just a royal pain in the neck)

5/30/2007: EAD production ordered (after over 400 days of waiting!!! woo hoo!)

AOS Interview: 5/12/2008!!! FINALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/29/2008: card production ordered...918 days..can't wait to see that card!

Timeline

We didn't get married with any kind of ceremony, though -- we just went to the courthouse and did the civil ceremony. Like fools we did not take any pictures until we were in a restaurant and we just snapped a couple. I was just wearing a suit without the jacket and she was wearing a blue dress -- nothing that would really prove that we had just gotten married!!!!!! :(

We did have a kind of get-together (with a "wedding cake" and two chalices that we drank out of) with all of my family (her family is in Chile and can't afford to come here easily).

We have some photos of that, and some other ones of us in various places (but not too many).

Any advice on that? We have no wedding photos!!!! :(

Edited by D & M

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Our wedding was just us, the minister, and the photographer; so we do have an album from the wedding, but no guests involved. Also, since my husband works all the time, we don't really socialize a lot, so didn't have tons of photos of us doing things - which concerned me. So, what I did was take the various things we had and made a sort of scrapbook of our relationship: I printed out a few of the emails hubby had sent me (which showed the date), some greeting cards we had sent to each other, as well as wedding and Christmas cards that we received from family and friends that were addressed to the both of us at the same place...... and made prominent anything that showed sentiment such as "We are so happy for the two of you - welcome to the family!". Also included tickets to concerts, NASCAR races (with photos, even though we weren't in them!), hotel and restaurant receipts from our anniversary weekend trip, etc etc.

Even if you don't have a lot of pictures, I would recommend taking some time to organize what you DO have into some kind of album that makes it easy for the officer to see that you went through a *normal* courtship and have a *normal* relationship. Instead of just handing him/her a stack of photos, make little notes in the album; ie: "First time (hubby) came to visit me" or "The dogs love their new Daddy!" or "Tailgating at the Buffett concert in 100* heat... FINS UP!!" Regarding the emails, you can actually open them up in an editor so that you can remove any *personal* info that you don't want to share. I did that, then cut them out arranged them in chronological order - showing that we went from "Hi, I'd really like to get to know you better" to "You are such a special person..... I'm so glad I met you." to "I miss you so much, can't wait to be with you again". At the top of the page, I wrote "How our Story Began......" The officer did breeze over them, and oohed and aahhed, and I just blushed and said "I know, I'm such a girl!"

I guess my point is this: although there are certain documents that you MUST provide, when it comes to pictures and things that document your marriage, you can be pretty creative. Not everyone has a traditional, big wedding. But everyone has a story to tell, and if you make the effort to put your story in a format that the officer can grasp in a few minutes, then that will really help. We had maybe a dozen photos - maybe. But she was definitely impressed that I had gone to all that effort..... and she genuinely enjoyed flipping through the scrapbook (one of her comments was "Wow! You guys got a LOT of cards!!) I'd be more than happy to give you specifics of how I organized the book - just ask!

Best of luck to you; don't panic - just prepare ahead of time and all will go smoothy!

L

Timeline
Regarding the emails, you can actually open them up in an editor so that you can remove any *personal* info that you don't want to share.

I'd be more than happy to give you specifics of how I organized the book - just ask!

L

I would be very interested in knowing more about what you did!! Also, that e-mail editor could be useful with some of the personal things in our e-mails :devil:

How DID you organize that book?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Great ideas given..just organize what you have and don't stress. Also just make sure you take join ownership type stuff, bank statements, bank letter, lease, etc etc.

good luck--you'll do wonderfully!

I-485 , I-765, I-130: NOA1 : 1/23/2006

Biometrics 2/23/2006

Temporary EAD given for 1 month ONLY b/c of Infopass appt: 5/1/2006

Went back to renew EAD through Infopass: EAD card was not given "due to reasons we can't disclose"

5/3/2007: Confirmation that EAD is delayed due to background checks. (started to use the senator, ombudsman and was just a royal pain in the neck)

5/30/2007: EAD production ordered (after over 400 days of waiting!!! woo hoo!)

AOS Interview: 5/12/2008!!! FINALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/29/2008: card production ordered...918 days..can't wait to see that card!

Our wedding was just us, the minister, and the photographer; so we do have an album from the wedding, but no guests involved. Also, since my husband works all the time, we don't really socialize a lot, so didn't have tons of photos of us doing things - which concerned me. So, what I did was take the various things we had and made a sort of scrapbook of our relationship: I printed out a few of the emails hubby had sent me (which showed the date), some greeting cards we had sent to each other, as well as wedding and Christmas cards that we received from family and friends that were addressed to the both of us at the same place...... and made prominent anything that showed sentiment such as "We are so happy for the two of you - welcome to the family!". Also included tickets to concerts, NASCAR races (with photos, even though we weren't in them!), hotel and restaurant receipts from our anniversary weekend trip, etc etc.

Even if you don't have a lot of pictures, I would recommend taking some time to organize what you DO have into some kind of album that makes it easy for the officer to see that you went through a *normal* courtship and have a *normal* relationship. Instead of just handing him/her a stack of photos, make little notes in the album; ie: "First time (hubby) came to visit me" or "The dogs love their new Daddy!" or "Tailgating at the Buffett concert in 100* heat... FINS UP!!" Regarding the emails, you can actually open them up in an editor so that you can remove any *personal* info that you don't want to share. I did that, then cut them out arranged them in chronological order - showing that we went from "Hi, I'd really like to get to know you better" to "You are such a special person..... I'm so glad I met you." to "I miss you so much, can't wait to be with you again". At the top of the page, I wrote "How our Story Began......" The officer did breeze over them, and oohed and aahhed, and I just blushed and said "I know, I'm such a girl!"

I guess my point is this: although there are certain documents that you MUST provide, when it comes to pictures and things that document your marriage, you can be pretty creative. Not everyone has a traditional, big wedding. But everyone has a story to tell, and if you make the effort to put your story in a format that the officer can grasp in a few minutes, then that will really help. We had maybe a dozen photos - maybe. But she was definitely impressed that I had gone to all that effort..... and she genuinely enjoyed flipping through the scrapbook (one of her comments was "Wow! You guys got a LOT of cards!!) I'd be more than happy to give you specifics of how I organized the book - just ask!

Best of luck to you; don't panic - just prepare ahead of time and all will go smoothy!

L

My interview is next month as well. can you share the specifics on how you organized the scrap book i would love to hear it as well

AOS Timeline

Feb. 12, 2008 - mailed AOS

March. 19, 2008 - received NOA1

March 21, 2008 - received Biometrics appointment

April 5, 2008 - RFE

April 11, 2008 - Biometrics

May 19, 2008 - RFE replied

May 21, 2008 - Case resumed

June 18, 2008 - EAD APPROVED

June 18, 2008 AP APPROVED

June 25, 2008 AP in the mail

June 27, 2008 Interview notice received -August 11

June 28, 2008 EAD in the mail

Aug 11,2008 Approved!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My interview is next month as well. can you share the specifics on how you organized the scrap book i would love to hear it as well

I would be more than happy to share! Would it be all right if I write it up in word format? Either I can copy and paste, or just email the file to interested parties..... whatever the forum would prefer.

Meanwhile, back to the apple cider dilema.... :blink:

L

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.