ninjarocket

NBI clearance visa panic!

15 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure out whether I have a problem:

I filed my I-130 and I-12F (now approved) with my wife's maiden name.

Another VJ member informs me that the NBI clearance has to include the husbands name, even though my wife hasn't officially changed her name yet. (All her ID's and passport are with her maiden name). This then causes screw-ups with the names on visa and passports being inconsistent.

Have any other VJ members managed to get though the process using their wife's maiden name the whole way including on the NBI clearance?

or, does my name have to be included on my wife's NBI clearance?

or, does my wife have to change her name to mine in order to get through the visa process?

hi again,

Please don't panic.

Please understand that the NBI document will be required the time NVC gather/request for evidences, it will not mixed up or what.

What is important is that you get the NBI clearance with all of your wife's name.

Maybe it's different case to case basis but as I told there was an old lady there that was requested to get her NBI togetehr with all of her names.

:star::star:

Another VJ member informs me that the NBI clearance has to include the husbands name, even though my wife hasn't officially changed her name yet. (All her ID's and passport are with her maiden name). This then causes screw-ups with the names on visa and passports being inconsistent.

Have any other VJ members managed to get though the process using their wife's maiden name the whole way including on the NBI clearance?

or, does my wife have to change her name to mine in order to get through the visa process?

I have never seen where there is any requirement to change one's name in this whole process.

It's optional.

Good luck!

Thai Mom

I read the link about the old woman you quoted, but widow still has to keep her husbands name unless she files a petition somewhere to revert back to her maiden name. Maybe that was the cause of her problem.

I'm still confused and trying to understand your problem. Was it caused by the fact that you changed your name to your husbands name after your I-130 was filed? If that's the case then I can understand why you were requested to do an NBI that included your new name with your husbands name.

My wife has opted not to change her name (for the time being). So I don't understand why they would insist on putting my name on the NBI clearance if that's not ctualy her name and it is only going to cause problems?

Incidentally, I haven't seen an NBI clearance yet. Does it state marital status? That's one thing that certainly needs to be accurate I could imagine.

hi again,

Please don't panic.

Please understand that the NBI document will be required the time NVC gather/request for evidences, it will not mixed up or what.

What is important is that you get the NBI clearance with all of your wife's name.

Maybe it's different case to case basis but as I told there was an old lady there that was requested to get her NBI togetehr with all of her names.

To get you an idea, this was the timeline I've been through

February 2007- My husband filed petition under my MAIDEN NAME

November 2007- Petition was approved, got case number. My name still under MAIDEN NAME.

1st week February 2008- NVC requested to submit EVIDENCES and DS-230, evidence includes NBI clearancE.My name still under MAIDEN NAME.

3rd week February 2008- I amended my passport to MARRIED NAME at the DFA, send the copy of amended passport to NVC together with a self compose letter that I am changing my name from my MAIDEN NAME to MARRIED NAME. Sent via FedEx.

March 15, 2008- I sent the evidences (includes complete NAMES on the NBI clearance) and DS 230 to NVC via Philpost International SMS.

MARCH 31. 2008- Me and my husband who is overseas both receive a letter of acknowledgement from NVC that they are granting/acknowledging my MARRIED NAME and in fact cited on the letter the change of my name when they summarized the data. They also follow up for my evidences and DS-230 that they had not received yet.(Philpost was kinda slow). i NOTICE ON THE HEADER IT INDICATES MY MAIDEN NAME but I did not bother to worry because I thought I can use any of my married or maiden name it doesn't matter.

MAY 12, 2008- NVC sent us a letter about the interview and SLEC appointment, interview set to June 12@ 6:30 AM.

JUNE 2 and 6 2008- SLEC.Passed. They got my passport to forward at Interview date. All the forms I fill out during SLEC: I used my MARRIED NAME. I got X-ray envelop and vaccine records from SLEC, what appeared was my MARRIED NAME.

JUNE 12, 2008- INTERVIEW DATE, I SHOWED my school and TIN ID which bears my MAIDEN NAME, the interview letter header displays my MAIDEN NAME anyway, so problem.

During the interview....

Pre-screener: (Handed me the DS-230 to sign). Please check if anything had changed.

(I thought he handed me the forms my husband submitted when he applied for me so my reply was…)

Me: Can I have my MARRIED NAME appear on my VISA? (Regretted that I say this, it makes me feel I was rude asking this)

Pre screener: That would be no problem (s0mething like that).

Consulate (final Interviewee): Oh, so you want your MARRIED name to appear on the VISA?

ME: (nervous) Yes, Ma'm.

Consulate: all right, that's fine. No problem.

When I got the pink slip and white paper (handwritten: AKA: my married name and my maiden name_

I paid DELBROS and DOc verification fee after teh interview and wrote MARRIED NAME on the form.

All was DONE. Got no clue, JULY 9, I received the VISA packet together with Immigration Data Summary: mistakes showed on the AKAs on the Data Summary.

My VISA printed was my MAIDEN NAME not my MARRIED name. It is okay, I don’t mind.

The mistake that is botehring me was on the Immigration Data Summary which depicts wrong AKAs.

I hope timelines I cited will somehow give you an idea of what happened to my VISA.

Message me if anything.

But you stated that you included an NBI with your maiden name with your DS-230 to NVC and it was not a problem.

At what point in the process did someone tell you you needed to get another NBI clearance with your husbands name?

November 2007- Petition was approved, got case number. My name still under MAIDEN NAME.

1st week February 2008- NVC requested to submit EVIDENCES and DS-230, evidence includes NBI clearancE.My name still under MAIDEN NAME.

3rd week February 2008- I amended my passport to MARRIED NAME at the DFA, send the copy of amended passport to NVC together with a self compose letter that I am changing my name from my MAIDEN NAME to MARRIED NAME. Sent via FedEx.

March 15, 2008- I sent the evidences (includes complete NAMES on the NBI clearance) and DS 230 to NVC via Philpost International SMS.

MARCH 31. 2008- Me and my husband who is overseas both receive a letter of acknowledgement from NVC that they are granting/acknowledging my MARRIED NAME and in fact cited on the letter the change of my name when they summarized the data. They also follow up for my evidences and DS-230 that they had not received yet.(Philpost was kinda slow). i NOTICE ON THE HEADER IT INDICATES MY MAIDEN NAME but I did not bother to worry because I thought I can use any of my married or maiden name it doesn't matter.

MAY 12, 2008- NVC sent us a letter about the interview and SLEC appointment, interview set to June 12@ 6:30 AM.

JUNE 2 and 6 2008- SLEC.Passed. They got my passport to forward at Interview date. All the forms I fill out during SLEC: I used my MARRIED NAME. I got X-ray envelop and vaccine records from SLEC, what appeared was my MARRIED NAME.

JUNE 12, 2008- INTERVIEW DATE, I SHOWED my school and TIN ID which bears my MAIDEN NAME, the interview letter header displays my MAIDEN NAME anyway, so problem.

During the interview....

Pre-screener: (Handed me the DS-230 to sign). Please check if anything had changed.

(I thought he handed me the forms my husband submitted when he applied for me so my reply was…)

Me: Can I have my MARRIED NAME appear on my VISA? (Regretted that I say this, it makes me feel I was rude asking this)

Consulate (final Interviewee): Oh, so you want your MARRIED name to appear on the VISA?

When I got the pink slip and white paper (handwritten: AKA: my married name and my maiden name_

I paid DELBROS and DOc verification fee after teh interview and wrote MARRIED NAME on the form.

All was DONE. Got no clue, JULY 9, I received the VISA packet together with Immigration Data Summary: mistakes showed on the AKAs on the Data Summary.

My VISA printed was my MAIDEN NAME not my MARRIED name. It is okay, I don’t mind.

The mistake that is botehring me was on the Immigration Data Summary which depicts wrong AKAs.

I hope timelines I cited will somehow give you an idea of what happened to my VISA.

Message me if anything.

Please take note that NVC NEVER requested my NBI to have my husband's surname on it.

I had my NBI with all of my names including my husband's because that is what I applied for when I was getting the NBI.

It so happened that the time I am completing my evidences including NBI, I all ready submitted my amended passport to NVC requesting to change my name to married name, which they acknowledge later on. So pretty much from that time I used my married name all the time.

I just mentioned widow's case because I thought it is essential to know because she was done with the interview but may cause delay because of the incomplete name on her NBI.

ERRATUM I WAS STATING:

b]1st week February [/b]2008- NVC requested to submit EVIDENCES and DS-230, evidence includes NBI clearancE.My name still under MAIDEN NAME.

What I mean was that time they REQUESTED the evidence and DS-230 I haven't change my name to married yet That is to show that no changes yet that TIME.

March 15, 2008- I sent the evidences (includes complete NAMES on the NBI clearance) and DS 230 to NVC via Philpost International SMS.When I submitted the NBI , I submitted NBI all with my names including my husband's. :thumbs:

But you stated that you included an NBI with your maiden name with your DS-230 to NVC and it was not a problem.

At what point in the process did someone tell you you needed to get another NBI clearance with your husbands name?

During the interview....

Message me if anything.

Edited by blairbitxh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

when you request the nbi you have to send along marriage cert. and the married name will be included on the nbi along with all maiden names dont panic. you can always request a new one from nbi my wife went there 2 X and got forms from them if you too worried good luck

but is this necessary if she hasn't changed her name yet?

when you request the nbi you have to send along marriage cert. and the married name will be included on the nbi along with all maiden names dont panic. you can always request a new one from nbi my wife went there 2 X and got forms from them if you too worried good luck

just to enlighten you a bit - We also took the K3 route and at the time my husband and I submitted our 130/129 application, we still opted to use my maiden name because all the supporting documents attached includes papers reflecting my maiden name. However, since we're already married, we've decided later on that all the supporting documents that I'll be submitting during my interview at USEM should already be printed using my married name since we both want my visa to be printed using my married name, hence, comes the NBI clearance that clearly states that I am already married and have adopted my husband's surname.

Not sure if your wife already has an existing NBI clearance because what I initially did was I renewed my NBI clearance using my maiden name and afterwards get another NBI clearance with my married name so in case they need to verify it, I can just present them both documentations. What name to use is actually you and your wife's discretion.

The only thing you should watch out is the information you'll send to delbros after you've paid the DV fee. Please tell your wife to use her maiden name as the verification request from USEM will be filed according to the name used in your approved petition.

I hope this helps. Goodluck and God Bless.

AOS:

07/16/08 - filed AOS application

07/18/08 - received by USCIS

07/22/08 - USCIS mailed our NOA

07/24/08 - touched

07/25/08 - received NOA (AOS, EAD, AP)

07/29/08 - received ASC Appointment Notice (Biometrics)

08/09/08 - biometrics appointment

08/11/08 - I485 and I765 touched

09/17/08 - AP approved

09/19/08 - EAD approved, card already in production

09/24/08 - EAD card received

09/25/08 - SSN application

10/01/08 - received letter re: SSN card delivery in 2 weeks

10/06/08 - SSN Card received

02/17/09 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

ROC:

11/19/10 - Submit requirements for Lifting of Conditions

11/22/10 - NOA1 received

12/22/10 - Biometrics Appointment

02/09/11 - ROC APPROVED!

02/10/11 - Green Card Received

US CITIZENSHIP:

12/19/11 - Submit requirements for US Citizenship

12/22/11 - NOA1 received

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans not to harm you but to prosper you. Plans to give you hope and a better future."

- Jeremiah 29:11

On the USEM website they state that the NBI should cover all names including maiden and married names. Since my wife has not changed her name yet (since this requires a formal name changing procedure) her married and maiden names are the same as far as I understand it.

just to enlighten you a bit - We also took the K3 route and at the time my husband and I submitted our 130/129 application, we still opted to use my maiden name because all the supporting documents attached includes papers reflecting my maiden name. However, since we're already married, we've decided later on that all the supporting documents that I'll be submitting during my interview at USEM should already be printed using my married name since we both want my visa to be printed using my married name, hence, comes the NBI clearance that clearly states that I am already married and have adopted my husband's surname.

Not sure if your wife already has an existing NBI clearance because what I initially did was I renewed my NBI clearance using my maiden name and afterwards get another NBI clearance with my married name so in case they need to verify it, I can just present them both documentations. What name to use is actually you and your wife's discretion.

The only thing you should watch out is the information you'll send to delbros after you've paid the DV fee. Please tell your wife to use her maiden name as the verification request from USEM will be filed according to the name used in your approved petition.

I hope this helps. Goodluck and God Bless.

More info. If wife wants to change name on her passport she must do the CFO seminar first.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

hello ! maybe i would suggest to get 2 different nbi one for the single name and the other one is for married name and send them in ,anyway they will not gonna stop you from applying to different name for nbi ...one of my friend here in vj,(noel and tintin )they sent 2 different nbi clearance one for single name and one for married name at the nvc... and she brought with her too at the usem her copies

wait.jpg

USCIS

CR1 Filers:

07-26-2007 : I-130 Sent

02-22-2008 : I-130 Approved

NVC

05-06-2008 : NVC Received :

2008-07-01 : Case Completed at NVC

2008-08-05 : NVC Left

USEM

08-25-2008 : Consulate Received

08-20-2008 : Medical Appointment Date

09-04-2008 : Interview Date

STATUS

08-27-2008 : Medical Passed

09-04-2008 : Passed (Pink and White slip) additional documents and Dv

10-17-2008 : visa on hand

DEPARTURE

10-25-2008 : US Entry

Minneapolis : Port of entry

Kansas City, Missouri : Final destination

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.