Lenchik

different name on passport and greencard

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

SOS!!! SOS!!!! SOS!!!

I have tickets to go to Ukraine in 2 days! Somebody just told me that if my name in Ukrainian passport (maiden name) is different from one on the greencard (married name) and my passport has no stap in it about marriage or permanent residenship, I will not be able to leave Ukraine!!!!

AAAAAAA!!! 48 hours left before the flight!! Should I go??? Is this true??? HELP somebody!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
SOS!!! SOS!!!! SOS!!!

I have tickets to go to Ukraine in 2 days! Somebody just told me that if my name in Ukrainian passport (maiden name) is different from one on the greencard (married name) and my passport has no stap in it about marriage or permanent residenship, I will not be able to leave Ukraine!!!!

AAAAAAA!!! 48 hours left before the flight!! Should I go??? Is this true??? HELP somebody!!!

My wife is in Ukraine right now with the same situation.... We are not worried... If you have concern then use VIP service on departure, Bring your marriage certificate or other document that made the name change

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Bring your marriage certificate to proof the change of name. I travelled with a ticket in my maiden name and AP (new name) to Germany and didn't have any problem coming back into the us. All the Immigration Officer told me is to make sure I change the name in time before my passport expires.

Good luck, no worries.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Timeline
Bring your marriage certificate to proof the change of name. I travelled with a ticket in my maiden name and AP (new name) to Germany and didn't have any problem coming back into the us. All the Immigration Officer told me is to make sure I change the name in time before my passport expires.

Good luck, no worries.

It should be no worries but it is Germany vs. Ukraine

YMMV

Timeline

Good luck, no worries.

I didn't know that Germans are treated preferred to people from the ukraine. In this case, please disregard my post. I apologize.

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Timeline

Good luck, no worries.

I didn't know that Germans are treated preferred to people from the ukraine. In this case, please disregard my post. I apologize.

This is a known potential departure from Ukraine issue not an arrival to the US issue....

YMMV

Timeline

OK...if it's known then why book a flight before having the new name in the passport?

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Timeline

I'm sorry about your situation. You only have two options...1. don't go at all and wonder 'what if' or 2. go and then you can either leave agian or not...neither one of them is a situation I would want to be in. I'm sorry I can't really help you here. If you do decide to go then good luck, I hope you won't have any problems.

Edited by Eveline

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Timeline
OK...if it's known then why book a flight before having the new name in the passport?

because there was always sporadic hassle only rather the de facto enforcement as well as a work around

YMMV

because there was always sporadic hassle only rather the de facto enforcement as well as a work around

ok. i have a higher veducation... but can you repeat it in human language????

Timeline

ok. i have a higher veducation... but can you repeat it in human language????

Because they used to only hassle people rather than stringently enforce .... Plus VIP was the less hassled workaround... but you paid a special fee (aka... bribe)

YMMV

Because they used to only hassle people rather than stringently enforce .... Plus VIP was the less hassled workaround... but you paid a special fee (aka... bribe)

VIP fee is the fee that you pay and get receipt for... bribe -- is when you just pay...

and after you pay for vip, there is no guarantee, but when you paid a bribe... they know exactly what it is for and will do it!

Timeline
VIP fee is the fee that you pay and get receipt for... bribe -- is when you just pay...

and after you pay for vip, there is no guarantee, but when you paid a bribe... they know exactly what it is for and will do it!

You may be correct but I have never received a receipt for VIP......

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

i just hope you booked your tickets in your maiden name!! tickets always need to match the passport. as for the different name on the gc, dont forget your marriage license to proof the name change!

blackribbonsmall.png

R.I.P Diana

1982 - 2008

K1 Timeline

01/13/2007 Sent I-129F to TSC

05/03/2007 Petition approved!!!

08/23/2007 INTERVIEW

09/12/2007 Frankfurt - JFK - Baltimore, MD

09//28/2007 applied for SSN

10/16/2007 CIVIL MARRIAGE

10/31/2007 SS Card finally arrived

AOS Timeline

11/13/2007 sent AOS package with AP and EAD

12/19/2007 biometrics in baltimore

01/09/2008 AOS transferred to CSC

01/12/2008 CEREMONY & RECEPTION

01/16/2008 EAD and AP in mail

02/14/2008 card production ordered, approved without interview

02/22/2008 GREEN CARD in mail

I751 Timeline

11/19/2009 sent I751 to VSC

11/21/2009 received at VSC

11/24/2009 check cashed

11/30/2009 received NOA dated 11/23/09

12/15/2009 early bio walk-in failed....

12/16/2009 request to reschedule sent

01/04/2010 biometrics in baltimore being rescheduled

01/20/2010 new biometrics

03/24/2010 card production ordered, approved without interview

03/29/2010 10 year GC in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.