Krissy!

ME/NA, Islamic Wedding Traditions/Customs?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My honey got me thinking about wedding plans -- yes, he's the one who brought it up -- :star:

I asked him about some customs/traditions... he'll share some. But thought I'd ask you all if you know of any that could possibly be introduced into our wedding here in the States. Any thoughts, ideas?

I definitely thought about finding a local debka troupe to come dance (within reasonable budget), know of any?

Thanks!

My honey got me thinking about wedding plans -- yes, he's the one who brought it up -- :star:

I asked him about some customs/traditions... he'll share some. But thought I'd ask you all if you know of any that could possibly be introduced into our wedding here in the States. Any thoughts, ideas?

I definitely thought about finding a local debka troupe to come dance (within reasonable budget), know of any?

Thanks!

Well the customs will depend on if he is Jordanian or originally Palestinian as we have different customs. However most Jordanian customs are carried out by the family and not the groom. The Dabka is not Islamic by any means, many people have that. Which area do you live in? I live in the SF bay area and actually researched this for my wedding. We only have 1 dabka group and they wanted $1500 for 8 people. However I passed because they didn't know any traditional Jordanian folklore songs. They mostly know Egyptian and Palestinian. If you are from this area, Ill be happy to send you their info. If you are from SoCal you may have more choices.

In SF we have the Jordanian American Association and I'm pretty sure they have one is So. Cal too. It's not expensive to become a member.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Besides the "is he Jordanian or Palestinean" question, he may have some village/family-specific wedding traditions :) Depending on how he feels about henna (my husband hates it and has declared it "disgusting" and threatened to not touch me if I wore it lol), that is a very easy tradition you could bring into your wedding.

Something I had thought about as well when I was looking into it was perhaps incorporating some Jordanian "things" as opposed to tradition-- such as using black iris in floral arrangements (the national flower).

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Besides the "is he Jordanian or Palestinean" question, he may have some village/family-specific wedding traditions :) Depending on how he feels about henna (my husband hates it and has declared it "disgusting" and threatened to not touch me if I wore it lol), that is a very easy tradition you could bring into your wedding.

Something I had thought about as well when I was looking into it was perhaps incorporating some Jordanian "things" as opposed to tradition-- such as using black iris in floral arrangements (the national flower).

Julianna, is the black iris posted as one of your flowers - the one on the top right? I love irises in general...we had a bloom of them come up from out of nowhere this year. I was walking out of my house one morning and a bright blue something caught my eye - I turned and there were 6 iris blossoms - outstanding!

Timeline

Black Iris -- that's a great idea. Thanks Julianna.

He is Jordanian with Palestinian background. As for the dabka, I realize it's not Islamic, but a folk dance tradition -- thought it'd be nice to introduce that at wedding festives and get my side joined in with part of his culture. I'll check out groups in So Cal (San Diego/LA areas).

Funny, about henna.... he has actually decorated my hands with the stuff the last time I visited. But I don't think I want it in the wedding -- too orange for my taste. haha.

He is Jordanian with Palestinian background. As for the dabka, I realize it's not Islamic, but a folk dance tradition -- thought it'd be nice to introduce that at wedding festives and get my side joined in with part of his culture. I'll check out groups in So Cal (San Diego/LA areas).

Funny, about henna.... he has actually decorated my hands with the stuff the last time I visited. But I don't think I want it in the wedding -- too orange for my taste. haha.

There is a really nice Palestinian tradition where all the single girls hold candles and walk around in a circle around the bride & groom during the reception, I don't know the point of it but I have seen it done many times.

The main tradition would be for the Jaha (The eldest male members of his family) to come to your home on the day of the wedding to ask for your hand and whisk you away to the church while he waits. If he has family here, maybe you can do that. There are also various songs they sing while doing this.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Timeline
Julianna, is the black iris posted as one of your flowers - the one on the top right? I love irises in general...we had a bloom of them come up from out of nowhere this year. I was walking out of my house one morning and a bright blue something caught my eye - I turned and there were 6 iris blossoms - outstanding!

Actually the top flower in my siggy is a violet :)

Timeline

I didn't really like a lot of the henna I saw, but I thought on the solves of the feet and just framing the edges of the feet wasn't bad :) I had this nice design I saw where it was a cyclamen and then in there you weave in the groom's name.

My wedding is comming up and we got dancers with swords and we're pending on belly dancers. We got the hookahs, arab couches on the sides and musique of course. I guess you can say we're making it more arabique vs just our one nationality. Alot of American/non-arab family friends are excited and that's basically why we did it with the dancers. It's gonna be interesting!! Henna is a must before marriage come on!! Black henna is soooo beautiful and I have a Pakistani friend who will do the beauuuuutiful design all over my legs to feet and midarms to hands.

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Timeline
My wedding is comming up and we got dancers with swords and we're pending on belly dancers. We got the hookahs, arab couches on the sides and musique of course. I guess you can say we're making it more arabique vs just our one nationality. Alot of American/non-arab family friends are excited and that's basically why we did it with the dancers. It's gonna be interesting!! Henna is a must before marriage come on!! Black henna is soooo beautiful and I have a Pakistani friend who will do the beauuuuutiful design all over my legs to feet and midarms to hands.

That sounds so exciting! Now the black henna -- I'll have to check that out (is there a specific name for it?)

Your wedding plans sounds awesome! How did you find everything --? I guess connections does also help, right?

When's the wedding? Congratulations!

I don't know any specific name for Black henna besides aswad but I would def avoid and ask beforehand if the black henna they are using has any chemicals and see if they are harmful. My dad is my connection actually but you can go to local Arab stores or if you have any arab friedn to help hook you up. Wedding is postponed until 3 more weeks !! I don't care he's already my husband I'm so happy enough with that but we got alot of family friends driving us nuts for the ceremony! I'm lookin forward to the younger crowd after party :P with all my friends

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.