6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I'm here with F1 (student visa) and I'm currently under OPT with unexpired EAD.

My boyfriend (US Citizen) and I are thinking about getting married before my EAD expired.

He insisted in getting a lawyer but I'm trying to save money and I am pretty sure I can handle all the paper work myself.

I have done a lot of research and I think I can do it.. So questions:

1. Do you think I should go with lawyer or do it myself? What is your experience?

2. How much does it cost for legal fee? I live in MA.

3. IF I apply everything myself and there are some missing documents or wrong filed, etc. will I be in risk of getting deported? Or will my status will be pending and I can still stay here and work here?

Any other comments and opinions will really help us!!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!

:star: --Angel

Sweet coffee makes me imagine, black coffee makes me write

I'm here with F1 (student visa) and I'm currently under OPT with unexpired EAD.

My boyfriend (US Citizen) and I are thinking about getting married before my EAD expired.

He insisted in getting a lawyer but I'm trying to save money and I am pretty sure I can handle all the paper work myself.

I have done a lot of research and I think I can do it.. So questions:

1. Do you think I should go with lawyer or do it myself? What is your experience?

2. How much does it cost for legal fee? I live in MA.

3. IF I apply everything myself and there are some missing documents or wrong filed, etc. will I be in risk of getting deported? Or will my status will be pending and I can still stay here and work here?

Any other comments and opinions will really help us!!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!

:star: --Angel

1. Its your personal choice. Unless you have a special case, its likely you can handle everything yourself.

2. Varies by lawyer. Can be anywhere between $1000-3000, plus the fees for filing.

3. If something is incorrect or missing, they will send a request for evidence. If that is not followed up, then your case will be denied. Only if your case is denied and you don't have a status to remain here, might you be deported.

keTiiDCjGVo

I agree, if your case is not complicated (like no criminal history etc) you can do it yourself. I talked to 2 lawyers before filing for my AOS and both of them told me that I don't need a lawyer through the whole process, only to check my forms before sending them. I heard so many stories about lawyers messing up paperwork, I thought I will be safer sending everything on my own.

In Chicago the cheapest lawyer wanted $1500, but average was 2500.

AOS

03/20/2008 Wedding

04/24/2008 I-130, I-485, I-765 sent to Chicago

05/01/2008 Notice Date (Day 6)

05/09/2008 Biometrics Notice in mail (for 05/22)

05/22/2008 Biometrics appointment (Day 27)

08/20/2008 EAD card received

09/26/2008 Interview Letter in mail (for 11/10)

11/10/2008 Interview (Day 199) APPROVED!

12/02/2008 Green Card received (Day 221)

ROC

09/20/2010 I-751 sent to California Service Center

09/21/2010 Notice Date (Day 1)

10/12/2010 Biometrics Notice in mail (for 11/03)

11/03/2010 Biometrics appointment (Day 44)

01/07/2011 APPROVED! (Day 109)

01/13/2011 Green Card received (Day 115)

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Earning (or in my case saving) those 1500 dlls is the easiest thing somebody can do...

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
THANK YOU ALL!!!! I think I am more confident in doing this myself!!

This website is AWESOME!!

--Angel

I know we are awesome B)

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.