5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

We finally got back to the US just over two weeks ago and are now looking to get married either in the last week of August or the first week in Sept. Needless to say, I'm a busy bee trying to get everything organised for the big day. (Looking for my dress this week!!! Yippy!!!)

Basically, I have a few questions right now. When we first got here, the immigration lady gave me my "A#" and said I should contact my local agency to make a start on getting my work permit. Firstly, I thought that I was unable to even make a start on getting my work permit until we're married and on the road to AoS. Did they make a change while I wasn't looking, or was the lady wrong in giving me the advice to apply for the work permit and SS card? Secondly, that agency was she talking about? We're living just outside Houston for the time being with my fiance's parents, as we were both living in Ireland and moved back together. I'm at a total loss as to what to do at the moment.

Also, I recently went into a store out here to buy some cigarettes (I know, bad habbit), and was asked for ID. I'm pretty used to that seens as I lived in both California and Florida before, and know how tight restrictions are out here. I presented my GB passport, obviously with visa inside, and was refused service because I didn't have a Texas State ID card. Would it be possible for me to go and get a state ID card with my K1 alone in my passport, or do I need to get the AoS thing sorted first before I head into the DMV to get one. I also need to get a new drivers license for out here, again can I do that with just my UK lisence, passport and visa?

Sorry to be a pain and ask but there seems to be little information as to what to do during the transitional phase of waiting to marry and apply for the AoS. Any help would be much appreciated.

1999 - Met on Yahoo chat service

1999 - Fell in love

1999 - 2005 - Continued talking on a daily basis

2004 - T applied for student visa for semester of study in US

Jan 2005 - T flew to States to begin course

March 2005 - T flew to CA. D picked up at airport. Finally met in person!

April 2005 - T flies back to University

April 2005 - D flies out to be with T

May 2005 - Both fly back to CA and begin living together

Sept 2005 - T flies back to UK to resume studies

Oct 2005 - D flies out to UK to be with T - Decide we want to get married!!!

April 2006 - D and T move to Ireland

March 2007 - We download paperwork for I 129-F

April 2007 - Send off forms to Texas Service Center

June 2007 - Still waiting to hear back

July 2007 - Still waiting to hear anything AT ALL! Very angry

7th July 2007 - We called the USCIS and were given our receipt number. We also signed up for the USCIS online service. Learned that our petition arrived on May 15th and last action was May 25th 2007 - Much happier

4th October 2007 - Petition Approved!!!!!!

24 April 2008 - Interview at US Embassy Dublin

17 June 2008 - Arrived back in US together

10th SEPTEMBER 2008 - MARRIED!!!!!

I don't have any input...but I wanted to say that I didn't know they don't consider your passport as some form of ID? As someone once told me, "A passport is the king of all identification"....if that person's saying is wrong, someone let me know so I can go correct him! :crying:

I remember when I presented my Indiana ID at this concert in England...the guy wasn't going to let me in because it was "fake". I beeched up a storm with my accent & he gave in. lol

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I also tried to buy beer in Texas and presented my Ohio drivers license only to be told they only accept Texas IDs. This was over ten years ago but I am suprised that it is still that way.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Surely they shouldnt be allowed to turn down your British Passport WITH visa attached. I have used my Passport in many states to buy Alcohol and to gamble and every time my Passport has been fine.

I have heard that some people have taken their Passport, Birth Certificate & any utility bills etc; to DMV and have been given an ID card, Some places will refuse you if you have no EAD or Greencard.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/lofivers...hp/t123509.html Seems it varies state to state. Have you tried checking the 'Moving Here and Your New Life In America' section on VJ? it may provide some help

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ahh thanks, I'll take a look at that thread.

Apparently Texas is pretty harsh when it comes to ID a lot of the time. I think that my little run in might have been a one off with a lady who really shouldn't be working in the store. As it was said, the Passport is the king of all ID's, so to be refused cigarettes for not having a valid state ID, when I have a valid uk passport, US visa and entry stamps is really stupid.

Actually, I did run into a similar situation when I was last living here. We were in CA at the time and I was refused a glass of wine in a restaurant with my passport, again including visa and stamp (student visa that time), because there was no reference to my eye colour on the ID page.

Just seems really stupid to me that a person's national form of identification for travel world wide is not accepted, but a laminated piece of card is. Oh well....welcome to Texas I guess. :wacko:

1999 - Met on Yahoo chat service

1999 - Fell in love

1999 - 2005 - Continued talking on a daily basis

2004 - T applied for student visa for semester of study in US

Jan 2005 - T flew to States to begin course

March 2005 - T flew to CA. D picked up at airport. Finally met in person!

April 2005 - T flies back to University

April 2005 - D flies out to be with T

May 2005 - Both fly back to CA and begin living together

Sept 2005 - T flies back to UK to resume studies

Oct 2005 - D flies out to UK to be with T - Decide we want to get married!!!

April 2006 - D and T move to Ireland

March 2007 - We download paperwork for I 129-F

April 2007 - Send off forms to Texas Service Center

June 2007 - Still waiting to hear back

July 2007 - Still waiting to hear anything AT ALL! Very angry

7th July 2007 - We called the USCIS and were given our receipt number. We also signed up for the USCIS online service. Learned that our petition arrived on May 15th and last action was May 25th 2007 - Much happier

4th October 2007 - Petition Approved!!!!!!

24 April 2008 - Interview at US Embassy Dublin

17 June 2008 - Arrived back in US together

10th SEPTEMBER 2008 - MARRIED!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.