eric_f

Being Proactive

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hey all, I just submitted a fiancee visa petition for my love. I need to know if there is anything that can be knocked out in advance, such as the police report or medical prior to receiveing packet 3. She is in Chaiyaphum so a trip to Bangkok is a big deal :) Reason being is that I know processing times have become downright ridiculous from NOA1 to NOA2, I've noticed waits of 6+ months! Is this normal?!

Thanks all,

Eric

Yes, it's normal. If you've just submitted the petition, it can take anywhere from 2-10 months to recieve your NOA2, though you can check the approximate processing time at your service centre. I've given myself a year to allow for the entire process.

You won't need to prepare Packet 3 until you receive your NOA2, and I'm pretty sure the criminal record expires in a few months so you need to be careful about when your fiance gets it. Same with the medical; this doesn't come until a lot later in the process, just before the interview.

Someone might need to confirm that though as I haven't gotten that far yet.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

about the only thing u can do now is to make sure that u have chats and other things to prove ur relationship is continuing when u go for interview.....copies of phone records......chats......emails.......if u have sent any money proof of that..........

good luck and i hope ur noa2 comes fast for u

sara

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I would say you should let her do the Police Certificated & Medical after you got NOA2. Coz if you got it before you got Packege3 the document gonna expired. Right now if you wanna get ready just print every Chat , E-mail in paper and print all of your picture that you both take together and mark the date on that thing.

Hope you have good luck with you journey

5vax.jpg.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

indeed there is no need to rush.

however It's good to check what u will need to get the police certificate and make sure you have everything ready so u don't waste time when it's time to get it. Example: to get the UK certificate it takes only 10 days (and 35 pounds) but u need to give them a great deal of documents (many proof of residency, signature from someone that has known u for more than 2 years and so on).

many police departement ask for a birth certificate too. so it's wise to check how long it takes to get it, what u will need to get it, when it expires and so on. that would be a pity to waste time at the final stage for stuff like that..

anyways. as u said the processing times are pretty long so the main you need to get ready for is waiting :(

good luck with your k1 !!

K1 timeline

July 07 - met in London

30 Apr 08 - petition received (was sent around the 20th...)

22 May 08 - NOA1

12 Sep 08 - NOA2!!!!

19 Sep 08 - NVC send our case to Niger instead of France

........case stuck in Niger for 6 weeks......

14 Nov 08 - Packet 3 received

14 Nov 08 - Packet 3 sent

02 Dec 08 - Packet 4 received

18 Dec 08 - Interview!

23 Dec 08 - had to re-do fingerprint / Visa Issued

24 Dec 08 - Visa received

30 Dec 08 - Flying to Dulles (Washington DC)

06 Jan 09 - Marriage

AOS/EAD/AP timeline

02 Feb 09 - AOS, AP and EAD sent

05 Feb 09 - Received by USCIS

11 Feb 09 - NOA for AOS, AP and EAD (mailbox: 14 Feb)

04 Mar 09 - Biometrics

17 Mar 09 - Case sent to the California Service Center

02 Apr 09 - AP issued (mailbox: Apr 9)

02 Apr 09 - EAD issued (mailbox: Apr 11)

10 Apr 09 - 2 years Permanent Resident Card issued (mailbox Apr 18)

Filed: Timeline
Hey all, I just submitted a fiancee visa petition for my love. I need to know if there is anything that can be knocked out in advance, such as the police report or medical prior to receiveing packet 3. She is in Chaiyaphum so a trip to Bangkok is a big deal :) Reason being is that I know processing times have become downright ridiculous from NOA1 to NOA2, I've noticed waits of 6+ months! Is this normal?!

Thanks all,

Eric

Eric,

In terms of the processing times, the summer is the slowest for processing times. It took us about 4 months and ten days to get our NOA 2 but that in March.

About getting things in advance to save time, really the only thing you can do is, like people mentioned already, use a phone card that records call logs as proof of your continuing relationship. Also, take lots of pics, save boarding passes if you travel to see her, etc.

She will have to take a trip to Bangkok to knock out the police report as well as the medical report, but I don't think you should go until you get the NOA2 as these documents do expire.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Historically, processing times have changed over the years based on many factors. Vermont has always been the fastest center. This is the first year only two service centers are processing K1's and we are just out of a huge backlog caused by last year's fee increase. Therefore, there is no concrete data to show how long the process will take. The graphs and data from this past year are skewed because of the influx of petitions last year and nothing can really be estimated because of all the changes.

In January, Vermont filers were being approved in less than a month...right now i've been waiting over 3 months... it's a ####### shoot! ;)

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.