williamc

HELP!!

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I don't believe the child has been abducted if the child was born in that country. It could be a case of a parent deciding to change her mind about immigrating.

Well, it seems that they came to Brasil from the US according to this:

Its a very bad situation, she had planned not to come back to the states with our son after looking at all the personal items she had packed in her suitcase.

;)

We don't know yet. The OP has not offered enough information, but I am curious. Did you guess that this is the case upon the one word "back"?

That and the suitcase kind of gave it away for me. Where there's no travel, there's no suitcase. Apparently she ain't packing a suitcase to travel back to the US so he must refer to the suitcase she packed when first travelling to Brasil.

I am sorry I have not made my self clear. We traveled to Brasil January 12, 2006 and have return tickets for March 12, Although she has informed me that she and our son will not be returning to the states and will be living with her family. Our son was born in Brasil, his birth was recorded at the state dept and holds American citizenship. He is 2.5 years old and has lived 2 years in the states, making his habitual residence in Ohio. After looking at his mothers suitcase this was a pre-planed oneway trip.

Ah, yes, well that is a different case. Thanks for clarifying. You can petition for the child to be returned to the US under the Hague Convention.

See below:

http://travel.state.gov/family/abduction/abduction_580.html

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Why is everyone assuming this man should keep the child and not his mother? Maybe there are other issues that he is not posting about.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: Timeline
Why is everyone assuming this man should keep the child and not his mother? Maybe there are other issues that he is not posting about.

Who has custody of a child is a matter for the courts to decide in the case of a couple that are going separate ways. One simply can't just decide to abscond with an infant. Since they were residents in the USA, I would imagine that US courts have jurisdiction, which is why member countries of the Hague Convention will co-operate with each other to make certain that parental rights in that process are preserved.

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Who has custody of a child is a matter for the courts to decide in the case of a couple that are going separate ways. One simply can't just decide to abscond with an infant. Since they were residents in the USA, I would imagine that US courts have jurisdiction, which is why member countries of the Hague Convention will co-operate with each other to make certain that parental rights in that process are preserved.

Agreed. If its the same as in the UK then the child's country of residence dictates which court systems have juristiction over the child, and it can be made a 'ward of court' (that is, under the court's protection) to decide the future domicile. IF a child is made a ward of court then it is illegal to remove that child FROM the court's juristiction and is punishable by a possible prison sentence as it amounts to kidnapping - regardless if the 'kidnapper' is a parent of guardian of that child.

In the UK it is possible to start this process by appying to a (UK) court to have the child MADE a ward until the legalities are settled bewteen the parents and I would suggest that williamc seeks legal help with all due speed in case the mother decides to 'disappear'.

(edit: I mention the UK process only as I am unfamiliar with child laws in the USA but am assuming they share some common ground)

Edited by Jaylen Brit

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

I would see a lawyer ASAP and speak to someone at the American Embassy in Brazil. There are American laws protecting the rights of a father, especially as the child is a U.S. Citizen. My husband's ex wife is not allowed to even move out of the state with his daughter without his express permission, let alone take her out of the country. Just because you are the father does not mean you have less rights than the mother. My understanding is that unless there is an abusive situation or something similar, one parent does not have the right to deny the other access.

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered