atomcaz

F1 Student Getting Married. What forms?

28 posts in this topic

There is a subforum for this info which would give you faster replies.

I'm on an F1 visa right now and in the middle of the AOS process. GueraYTavo was on an F1 and has his Green Card now.

It'll take roughly 6 months for the process to complete if everything goes right. Most schools will ask that you maintain your F1 status until you have a physical green card to show them so you won't really reap any benefits for the AOS process aside from teh ability to work off campus with your EAD.

Somebody called me?? hehe B)

Indeed indeed mates, I was an F-1 and now a proud PR. It takes around 6 months but nothing is certain with Uncle Sam as you may know already after all the pain in the A$$ of getting the semester signature, I-20's SEVIS, on and on and on.

Ok back to the topic, it takes around 6 months to process normally, in case your name is not common and doesn't get stuck w/the FBI. Since we are or were students, I'm sure they cleared out our name at least at some point and up to some security level, I think there won't be any mishaps. All the paperwork you need is listed in another threads within this subforum, they are have little black arrow to their left.

In case you have any questions feel free to ask,

;)

thanks g :)

do you still go to school? are you still paying international fees?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
There is a subforum for this info which would give you faster replies.

I'm on an F1 visa right now and in the middle of the AOS process. GueraYTavo was on an F1 and has his Green Card now.

It'll take roughly 6 months for the process to complete if everything goes right. Most schools will ask that you maintain your F1 status until you have a physical green card to show them so you won't really reap any benefits for the AOS process aside from teh ability to work off campus with your EAD.

Somebody called me?? hehe B)

Indeed indeed mates, I was an F-1 and now a proud PR. It takes around 6 months but nothing is certain with Uncle Sam as you may know already after all the pain in the A$ of getting the semester signature, I-20's SEVIS, on and on and on.

Ok back to the topic, it takes around 6 months to process normally, in case your name is not common and doesn't get stuck w/the FBI. Since we are or were students, I'm sure they cleared out our name at least at some point and up to some security level, I think there won't be any mishaps. All the paperwork you need is listed in another threads within this subforum, they are have little black arrow to their left.

In case you have any questions feel free to ask,

;)

thanks g :)

do you still go to school? are you still paying international fees?

Naaa, graduated, applied for OPT and before the OPT expired, I received the green card. So, fully working now :thumbs: I was already done w/my studies when I got married.

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Country: South Korea
Timeline

Im currently on F-1 visa too, and just found out this kind of website exist!!!

Im looking thru all paper works that I need to do: I-130, G-325A, I-864, I-485, I-765, I-131, and anything else?

And Do I file all of them and send all togather?

What's I-94( or A #) ? where can I find it?

I'm in desperate need of help.

Thank you all for your time.

Timeline
Im currently on F-1 visa too, and just found out this kind of website exist!!!

Im looking thru all paper works that I need to do: I-130, G-325A, I-864, I-485, I-765, I-131, and anything else?

And Do I file all of them and send all togather?

What's I-94( or A #) ? where can I find it?

I'm in desperate need of help.

Thank you all for your time.

All of them, together, but separate them inside the envelope. There is a good list to follow within this subforum, just find the threads with the arrow on the left.

The A# is on the first image, and on the NOA's that you receive after you file for adjustment of status. Do not worry if you don't have any just don't write anything.

aln766.gif

NOA2.jpg

And this is the I-94

alni94w.gif

01/25/13 Check cashed

• 2 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and also to the AOS process, so please excuse me if I am a bit clueless.

I've been in the US for a little longer than two years. I entered with a J-1 to do research for a shorter time, then applied to a graduate program, got accepted and had my status adjusted to an F-1. However, I decided to leave school this spring and in order for me and my fiance (who is a US citizen) to stay together, we decided to get married a year ahead of time (we had initially planned on getting married next summer). We got married about a month ago, and sent in the 325 and 130 forms last week. I just found this forum today and noticed that the I-485 is frequently mentioned... could someone please tell me if we need to file this form too? I'm not sure how we missed filing it, we even got a book on marriage and fiance visas.

So, basically: I'm on an F-1 right now, and officially leaving school on Sept 30th. We got married a month ago. We've filed the 325 and the 130 - do we need to file the 485 (and anything else) as well?

Thanks so much for your time!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and also to the AOS process, so please excuse me if I am a bit clueless.

I've been in the US for a little longer than two years. I entered with a J-1 to do research for a shorter time, then applied to a graduate program, got accepted and had my status adjusted to an F-1. However, I decided to leave school this spring and in order for me and my fiance (who is a US citizen) to stay together, we decided to get married a year ahead of time (we had initially planned on getting married next summer). We got married about a month ago, and sent in the 325 and 130 forms last week. I just found this forum today and noticed that the I-485 is frequently mentioned... could someone please tell me if we need to file this form too? I'm not sure how we missed filing it, we even got a book on marriage and fiance visas.

So, basically: I'm on an F-1 right now, and officially leaving school on Sept 30th. We got married a month ago. We've filed the 325 and the 130 - do we need to file the 485 (and anything else) as well?

Thanks so much for your time!

I have no idea what is the 325, but yes you need to file the I-485 along with the I-765 (if you want work visa), I-131(if you want advance parole), I-864, medical exam. Just send the I-485 with a copy of the NOA received for your I-130. This way, they will be able to match up your files.

The reason you missed I-485 is because adjusting while in the USA is different than adjusting from a marriage and fiance visas. You are already in the US, and adjusting from a non-immigrant visa.

I almost missed the I-130 myself, because most people on this website came on a K-1 or K-3.

By the way, the fees for I-765 and I-131 is already included in the $1,010 for I-485.

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
the answers I have received here are kind of all over the place and contradict lots of other posts ive read on this forum

If anyone whom has been attending college on an F1 visa and gotten married to a US citizen could reply with their experience it would really help

thanks

I came to the US with an F1.. after a year i started dating my husband, we got married my junior year of college. My f1 was still good for another year. We got married. We filed I-130, I-1485, I-131 and I-765. I was still in school, when you apply for adjustment of status you automatically are not an f1 status at your school so you have to report that to the international office. You are legal though, because you are waiting to adjust status. DO NOT LEAVE THE COUNTRY!! even though you still have the student visa to come back... and I would suggest only using advanced parole if is an emergency. It's been over a year since i got married and havent been home... I just had my aos interview last week and i'm just waiting on that to go home.

Seems to me, or at least in my case.. going from an F1 makes the process easier, bc your spouse is already here so no need for fiance visa... and also i guess the US already has records of you and knows who you are. You should be fine.... and NO need of lawyers, they're so expensive.. unless of course there's something in your records that will complicate your process...

08/15/04 - Came to US with a student visa (F1)

10/15/05 - Met Hubby at school.

08/11/07 - Got Married!!!

10/04/07 - Applied for I-130 (I wasn't well informed, so we didn't send I765,I131 or I485!!!)

04/22/08 - Sent I-485, I-765, I-131

05/14/08 - Biometrics Appointment

07/01/08 - Received AP Documents

07/07/08 - Received EAD card

08/14/08 - Received Approval for I-130

10/27/08 - AOS interview in Atlanta

11/28/08 - Received letter from USCIS. You're Aproved.. Card production Ordered!

12/04/08 - Received welcome letter, NOA2

12/11/08 - Received GC on the mail

I'm very happy!!! Hubby and I are going to visit my family for Christmas!!! YAAAY!

Timeline
I came to the US with an F1.. after a year i started dating my husband, we got married my junior year of college. My f1 was still good for another year. We got married. We filed I-130, I-1485, I-131 and I-765. I was still in school, when you apply for adjustment of status you automatically are not an f1 status at your school so you have to report that to the international office. You are legal though, because you are waiting to adjust status. DO NOT LEAVE THE COUNTRY!! even though you still have the student visa to come back... and I would suggest only using advanced parole if is an emergency. It's been over a year since i got married and havent been home... I just had my aos interview last week and i'm just waiting on that to go home.

Seems to me, or at least in my case.. going from an F1 makes the process easier, bc your spouse is already here so no need for fiance visa... and also i guess the US already has records of you and knows who you are. You should be fine.... and NO need of lawyers, they're so expensive.. unless of course there's something in your records that will complicate your process...

aye aye :thumbs:

01/25/13 Check cashed

• 3 months later...
Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I was an international student on F-1. Came back home and noe I am coming back as LPR. Will I still pay international fee at the university or can I get in-state tuition?

Timeline

I was an international student on F-1. Came back home and noe I am coming back as LPR. Will I still pay international fee at the university or can I get in-state tuition?

if you have established residency in that state where your school is located (usually it is 1 year staying in the state then you are fine.) I f your spouse has established residency that will work for you as well.

Timeline
if you have established residency in that state where your school is located (usually it is 1 year staying in the state then you are fine.) I f your spouse has established residency that will work for you as well.

I am in trouble than :crying: I am on family based visa immigrating with family for the first time :wacko:

Timeline

I am in trouble than :crying: I am on family based visa immigrating with family for the first time :wacko:

Is this or to own a property in the area

01/25/13 Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.