GaryC

Lets collect some information about IMBRA effects

1,434 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Readers of this thread - If you have not contacted your Congressperson or Senator, you must do so today. Tell them this abuse of applicants and lack of accountability by USCIS is not acceptable.

Sheep to the back of the visa line.

With all due respect, zethris: you are now all up in MY Kool-Aid, and you don't even know the flavor.

We are all trying to handle our immigration cases as best we can. It is ultimately our prerogative to decide which actions to take on our OWN cases. We do not work for you, we do not owe you or your agenda anything. I have already written to the CIS Ombudsman; the fact that I have chosen not to contact Rep. Kuhl or Senators Schumer and Clinton at this time is tactical--I may require their assistance on another, unrelated issue. I am simply picking my battles.

Your suggestion that those who elect not to pursue your favored course of action on their own cases should have their applications penalized is your own opinion, to which you are entitled. Airing it, however, has earned you 90 Rude Points, out of a possible 100.

Bottom line: you're not the boss of me. Adjust your attitude accordingly.

As for your secret civil liberties lawsuit, I share Pax's skepticism. I realize I'm not one of "the professionals," nor am I privy to the secret strategy conferences of your legal team, but from my view you might have a procedural due process claim, at most (FYI, I communicated the due process issue to the Ombudsman when I contacted him). Usually when there is some kind of procedural due process SNAFU, the remedy is at equity and not at law. That means that the erring party needs to FIX IT, which is what the relevant agencies are in the process of doing right now. As for a standard negligence claim, I admit that my plebian ignorance makes it too difficult for me to process that one, or to envision how such a claim might possibly be structured.

Which is just as well, since it's a secret.

Shhhh.

A ticked-off Tigre

I am not a practicing attorney. I have a law degree and I passed the bar exam, but am not admitted to practice because I got a job in legal publishing and haven't gotten around to applying for my license yet. Publishing is great, but it does not make you qualified to give legal advice. So I don't. I just want to get married to my fella, which is why I'm here! If you need legal help, seek the advice of a licensed attorney.

Timeline of the Tigre

September 2004 - Tigre meets Dan while prowling about aimlessly

December 2004 - Dan visits Tigreland, USA

May 2005 - Tigre goes to England, Dan pops the question!

December 2005 - Christmas in England with Tigre and Dan

May 19th 2006 - Dan and Tigre's K1 petition received by VSC

May 25th 2006 - NOA1 issued...we're on our way!

June 20 2006 - RFE sent by VSC

June 26 2006 - RFE returned Express to VSC

July 10 2006 - NOA2...let's go check out the NVC!

July 17 2006 - email from NVC--case was sent to London!

July 21 2006 - Dan, meet Packet 3!

August 4, 2006 - Packet 3 returned

August 16, 2006 - sassy Tigre emails the embassy "just making sure the packet got there"

August 17, 2006 - Embassy e-mails back: Packet 4 is on its way!

Medical: August 24

Interview: September 15

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
The problem with that link, which most of us have already seen, is that it is from the State Department, which has no jurisdiction over USCIS. Just because State says on their website that USCIS is going to do something does not mean that that is USCIS policy-- basically it is State washing its hands of the matter until USCIS sorts itself out.

Well, I thought because USCIS has released the draft, they have sorted out a big part of it. No?

In my head they are waiting for the approval of the form and should be sending RFEs as soon as that happens.

Maybe at this stage they are training themselves and preparing the damn pamphlet that Consulates will need to show to beneficiares..

Timeline

The problem with that link, which most of us have already seen, is that it is from the State Department, which has no jurisdiction over USCIS. Just because State says on their website that USCIS is going to do something does not mean that that is USCIS policy-- basically it is State washing its hands of the matter until USCIS sorts itself out.

Well, I thought because USCIS has released the draft, they have sorted out a big part of it. No?

In my head they are waiting for the approval of the form and should be sending RFEs as soon as that happens.

Maybe at this stage they are training themselves and preparing the damn pamphlet that Consulates will need to show to beneficiares..

I certainly hope so. I'm just saying that until I see something in writing from USCIS itself, I'm taking all other information with a grain of salt.

Timeline

I certainly hope so. I'm just saying that until I see something in writing from USCIS itself, I'm taking all other information with a grain of salt.

Oh, yeah.. me too.

I wish I coul talk with Vermont as Igor does. It sure doesn´t work for me.

I even called USCIS again today. As I also called my Consulate in Brazil.

Nothing new.. Nothing new from my lawyer as well.

There´s no way to run. No way I can tell my fiancée "baby, we´ll be together soon".

Timeline
Oh, yeah.. me too.

I wish I coul talk with Vermont as Igor does. It sure doesn´t work for me.

I even called USCIS again today. As I also called my Consulate in Brazil.

Nothing new.. Nothing new from my lawyer as well.

There´s no way to run. No way I can tell my fiancée "baby, we´ll be together soon".

TBH, I'm not entirely certain that Igor is actually reaching Vermont, as he seems to be the only person who is able to. I'll give it a go tomorrow morning, though.

I'm prepared to wait with as much patience as I can muster until 6/30, when the draft of the new I-129f expires. If nothing happens fairly soon after that, I may start reevaluating my options.

Edited by elizaxyz

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
Hey, guys.

As I posted here 10 days ago...

I emailed CSC even though my case is from Vermont.

I got this from them:

You should phone the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 and inform them of your inquiry. They will either answer your question or send it to Vermont Service Center to answer. I phoned National Visa Center (NVC) today and they did return the petition to that Vermont location. Essentially the petition has completed processing. It was approved by USCIS, Vermont Service Center who sent it to the NVC who referred it to the Consulate for interview. The Visa was not issued by the Consulate and was returned to USCIS for revocation on our system.

just to let you know, my interview was scheduled and sent back with 30 others from Brazil to USA due to IMBRA.

What do you have to say about that?

rlt, I take it NVC has not confirmed that they sent your petition back to USCIS yet. You only have confirmation from the embassy at this point, correct?

Edited by Aquelunya

The journey begins...got the package together sent FedEx OV 2/22/06

Packet received in VT Center 10:53 AM Signed by G.Merrihew 2/23/06

Packet returned, check made out for the wrong amount, I feel stupid :( 3/4/06

New check made out, given to Fedex today but will go out Monday morning 3/6/06

Packet received SECOND time signed by same person at 11:00 am, please God let this be it! 3/7/06

NOA 1-------------------------3/8/06

Check cashed----------------3/9/06

Touched----------------------3/21/06

NO2 approved electronically!!!!!!!!!------3/22/06

Touched, I guess they mailed the petition out today-------3/23/06

NVC sent out approved petition!!! YAYYYYYYYY-------------3/27/06

Packet 3 received by my fiance----------------------------4/9/06

Medical appnt.------------------------------------------4/10/06

Packet 3 sent back-----------4/14/06

Interview Date Given for MAY 15------------------4/24/06 Interview cancelled 5/11/06

Case reopened by VSC---7/13/06

Touched-------------------7/14/06

Touched------------------7/15/06

RFE Update!!!!----------7/17/06

RFE Sent back---------7/22/06

RFE Update Online----7/26/06

Touched---------------7/27/06

Touched--------------7/28/06

Touched-------------7/29/06

Touched------------8/09/06

Re-APPROVED-----8/09/06

NVC sent out to the embassy---8/14/06

Interview re-scheduled for----- 9/26/06!!!!!!!

APPROVED_RECEIVED VISA IN HAND 10/03/06!!!!

Timeline
rlt, I take it NVC has not confirmed that they sent your petition back to USCIS yet. You only have confirmation from the embassy at this point, correct?

Not really, I also got this from the NVC:

"Dear Sir or Madam,

Your inquiry has been received at the National Visa Center (NVC).

The petition has been returned to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS-formerly known as INS). Any further inquiries should be directed to CIS."

That was back on My24th !

Filed: Timeline

rlt,

You must be one of the 1,100. Hopefully that group will be at the head of the line for re-processing when the USCIS gets a new, IMBRA-compliant, procedure in place.

And hopefully that will be soon.

Yodrak

Hey, guys.

As I posted here 10 days ago...

I emailed CSC even though my case is from Vermont.

I got this from them:

You should phone the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 and inform them of your inquiry. They will either answer your question or send it to Vermont Service Center to answer. I phoned National Visa Center (NVC) today and they did return the petition to that Vermont location. Essentially the petition has completed processing. It was approved by USCIS, Vermont Service Center who sent it to the NVC who referred it to the Consulate for interview. The Visa was not issued by the Consulate and was returned to USCIS for revocation on our system.

just to let you know, my interview was scheduled and sent back with 30 others from Brazil to USA due to IMBRA.

What do you have to say about that?

Timeline

Not really, I also got this from the NVC:

"Dear Sir or Madam,

Your inquiry has been received at the National Visa Center (NVC).

The petition has been returned to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS-formerly known as INS). Any further inquiries should be directed to CIS."

That was back on My24th !

Okay i'm pissed!!!! they told me they sent back our petition on May 11, same day they called to cancel the interview! This BITES!!! And NVC tells me they have recieved nothing yet! Who's LYING here? How can this "diplomatic mail" or what not take 3 weeks? I checked it out, and diplomatic mail is flown by PLANE!!! :angry:

Packet received SECOND time signed by same person at 11:00 am, please God let this be it! 3/7/06

Interview Date Given for MAY 15------------------4/24/06 Interview cancelled 5/11/06

Re-APPROVED-----8/09/06

Timeline
rlt,

You must be one of the 1,100. Hopefully that group will be at the head of the line for re-processing when the USCIS gets a new, IMBRA-compliant, procedure in place.

And hopefully that will be soon.

Yodrak

I sure am one of them. I got a call saying that on May 17th.

I really don´t wanna get into the discussion about lawsuits. What I wanna show everyone is how hard this is for me.

Since May 17th (when I had packet 4 with me and an interview date) I haven´t heard from my case. I know nothing.

This is torturing me. I am creating situations myself that are bringing new issues to my relationship.

Yodrak, you´re right. I also think the recalled petitions will be treated as priority, and I also hope everyday that it will be soon.

But that is no excuse for the lack of information.

Any "as soon as the new form is approved within 60 days we´ll be sending RFEs" would be much appreciated.

This is killing me a little bit.

Sorry

Okay i'm pissed!!!! they told me they sent back our petition on May 11, same day they called to cancel the interview! This BITES!!! And NVC tells me they have recieved nothing yet! Who's LYING here? How can this "diplomatic mail" or what not take 3 weeks? I checked it out, and diplomatic mail is flown by PLANE!!! :angry:

I also didn´t get a response by the phone.

Only got that when I emailed them.

It´s worth a try.. It takes them a few days to answer.

Here it is: NVCInquiry@state.gov

good luck

Timeline

I also didn´t get a response by the phone.

Only got that when I emailed them.

It´s worth a try.. It takes them a few days to answer.

Here it is: NVCInquiry@state.gov

good luck

The sad part is I did email them, and the response I received was that they did not receive it yet, and I should contact the embassy, we did that today and they said they sent in on the May 11 like I said diplomatic mail. :(

and by the way, in case you missed my earlier post, when I spoke to USCIS rep. on Friday, she had assured me that the recalled petitions are going to receive priority attention.

Re-APPROVED-----8/09/06

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

wow! this place is jumpin! the horses are mighty high in here! but still not one bit of info, just speculation.....

thank you pax and yodrak for your devil's advocacy or whatever it is being called.

BUT i did get a call from my congresswoman's office today. they said "all K1 and K3's are waiting for the info packets to be put into many languages" and there's no time frame - but "it is a priority to get this done."

"this is being done by the attorney general". "atorney general?" "yes, attorney general."

what does everyone think of this? has anyone else heard anything about attorney general?

cheers

ps there have been many other calls to her about this so they are trying to figure out what to do and will keep me posted of any news. at least someone in congress seems to care.

Timeline
BUT i did get a call from my congresswoman's office today. they said "all K1 and K3's are waiting for the info packets to be put into many languages" and there's no time frame - but "it is a priority to get this done."

"this is being done by the attorney general". "atorney general?" "yes, attorney general."

what does everyone think of this? has anyone else heard anything about attorney general?

The attorney general? Your congresswoman may mean well, but I'm not entirely certain her staff knows what they're talking about.

Edited by elizaxyz

Timeline

The attorney general? Your congresswoman may mean well, but I'm not entirely certain her staff knows what they're talking about.

And yet we don´t really know what we are waiting for.

Is it the new form? Is it the translated info packets? No one knows.

I was hoping the processing dates would be updated today, but nothing so far.

Hey guys! Having a great time here with Luz. I have been popping in every day to see what has been going on. I see we have gone down the path of rage and rampant speculation. It's understandable considering the way this law has hosed us all. If some of you feel the need to sue, by all means! it's your right. I don't see how it's gonna help but if it makes you feel better then go ahead. The bottom line, the government is gonna take as long as it takes and no amount of complaining will speed them up one second. They know they have a problem, they know that while they have all our petitions on hold more continue to pour in and very soon they will have a huge mountain of work that they will have a hard time clearing. I don't trust the government as far as I could throw it but at this point I don't think we have much choice.

Consider this, for the ones that DIDN'T have their petitions returned and are waiting for NOA2, the embassies that our petitions would have been going to havn't gotten any new ones in the last month or so. One would thing that their backlog is going away at a fast rate. When we finally do get our NOA2's they should just fly through the embassy part. For the ones that did get their pettitions returned are going to the front of the line when they do get back there.

My advice is this, calm down and do whatever you can to keep optimistic. It's only a pothole in the road to being with the one you love. We will get there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.