Marlita

New Vaccinations Required?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

:ot:

Ok folks, i need help...quick!

Regarding vaccinations at the clinics...my husband is there now trying to get his shots early. They are telling him he needs to get MMR, which he already had and is on his record, but they say he needs is twice....is this true? The other shot is DT which is Tetnus I believe which would make sense. The last one is Hep C. Which the nurse says is new...is this correct? She says he needs one shot now pf Hep C, one shot of it like 6 weeks later and another shot of it a month after that. Obviously those shots would be in the US, but is this correct in what he needs. I told him to wait there while I ask the dear VJ'ers. What have your SO's been getting for shots? I just want to make sure they are not ripping him off or even worse given him things that could make him very ill. I'm not a big person on vaccines so I am very weary. The doctor already told him if he doesnt get the Hep C shot today with the other 2 vaccines then he will have to wait 6 weeks to get it otherwise it will make him sick.

So now I am scared...please help. :crying:

Edited by Marlita

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Marlita, he does not need to get the MMR if he was already vaccinated. That is for life. He will need the tetanus and varicella. The Hep B can be given when he gets here. It is not required for immigration. Mike only got the MMR, tetanus and they also gave him the polio even though it should only be given to children. The panel doc told him he did not need to get the varicella.

Hep C is not a vaccine, it is a disease. You get a hepatitis series that covers you against Hep A & B.

I hope this helps but there is also a link I will try to send you if I can find it about the required vaccines by age. Do not let them give him anything he does not have to have. The series of hepatitis will not be able to be completed in JA and he would have to start over once he gets here. The series is over a year long.

Claire

Edited by clairern

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline

Thank you for this.

Timeline
Marlita, he does not need to get the MMR if he was already vaccinated. That is for life. He will need the tetanus and varicella. The Hep B can be given when he gets here. It is not required for immigration. Mike only got the MMR, tetanus and they also gave him the polio even though it should only be given to children. The panel doc told him he did not need to get the varicella.

Hep C is not a vaccine, it is a disease. You get a hepatitis series that covers you against Hep A & B.

I hope this helps but there is also a link I will try to send you if I can find it about the required vaccines by age. Do not let them give him anything he does not have to have. The series of hepatitis will not be able to be completed in JA and he would have to start over once he gets here. The series is over a year long.

Claire

Thanks Claire. So now I have to ask him about that Hep thing. I may have just heard C but maybe its B. He said they told him it was new and that it would take a few months to complete...like 6 or so. But they said they are supposed to start it off in Jamaica? I dont trust these people sometimes. You hear all these stories of people getting ripped off with this process...plus this could really get someone sick. :wacko:

They said he needed a 2nd MMR but the CDC lists that you should've gotten that before kindergarten. So as an adult he still needs it? Let me ask him about the Hep shot....brb...

Quick question, it's ok to get the shots without bringing a letter of approval from NVC to the Dr's office? I thought we had to bring that letter and that all shots were to be taken within 10 to 14 days of interview? Am I wrong? or did you get a interview date already. Just wondering.

Timeline
Quick question, it's ok to get the shots without bringing a letter of approval from NVC to the Dr's office? I thought we had to bring that letter and that all shots were to be taken within 10 to 14 days of interview? Am I wrong? or did you get a interview date already. Just wondering.

No what Marlita husband is doing is getting his vaccines at a clinic before the interview medical...you have to pay like an arm and a leg if you do vaccines at the listed medical panel the embassy listed....it's much cheaper if you do it at a clinic...just make sure you have the vaccine card and I think the nurse who gave you the shot has to sign next to each shot they gave you and the interview medical panel will accept that....my husband will be taking his vaccines at his local clinic thursday...he went last week and the nurses told him all he need his two DTP shots but he has to take them 6 weeks apart...they didn't tell him anything about Hep B, MMR or the varicella....

Edited by jgay80

NVC Journey Total days: 75

04.09.2008: Case# assigned

05.12.2008: DS230 Entered into System

06.18.2008: Case Complete (So upset that it took this long 37days)

US Embassy:

10.29.2008: Interview Date Assigned

11.17.2008: Medical Appointment

12.03.2008: Interview Date (FINALLY!!!)**APPROVED**

12.08.2008: Visa Delivered

12.21.2008: POE JFK

No what Marlita husband is doing is getting his vaccines at a clinic before the interview medical...you have to pay like an arm and a leg if you do vaccines at the listed medical panel the embassy listed....it's much cheaper if you do it at a clinic...just make sure you have the vaccine card and I think the nurse who gave you the shot has to sign next to each shot they gave you and the interview medical panel will accept that....my husband will be taking his vaccines at his local clinic thursday...he went last week and the nurses told him all he need his two DTP shots but he has to take them 6 weeks apart...they didn't tell him anything about Hep B, MMR or the varicella....

OH ok then, I guess I need to get hubby started on this then thanks. According to him his card is fully immunized. But I'm going to suggest he goes from now and see if he's missing any vaccinations.

Filed: Timeline

The vaccinations are required according the age of the beneficiary, so he probably was asked for the proper ones, but if he already had the desease

OH ok then, I guess I need to get hubby started on this then thanks. According to him his card is fully immunized. But I'm going to suggest he goes from now and see if he's missing any vaccinations.

The vaccinations are required according to the age and medical historical of the beneficiary, so he probably was asked for the right ones, but if he ever had the deseased or has ever been immunized for any of the ones required he doesn't have to do them again. If he has his immunization record is OK, he just have to show it to the panel physician and if not he must tell the doctor and he may check that information by his saliva. That information I've got from the panel physician when I called for informations.

Hope it helps!

Timeline

Hey Girl, you do need the MMR, Varicella and tetanus vaccines. Depending on the age of the applicant, there are certain vaccines required. I found a link and posted it in the VJ thread. I think what is happening at those clinics, is that they are trying to make money off the applicants and taking advantage of their ignorance.

Check out the link I posted in the yardie thread.

Timeline

So I sent Hubby to get vaccines, and he got Hep B, DT (tetnus), and MMR and he said it was free and that the nurse gave him a new card signed. The nurse told him he didnt have to pay. So I don't know if he got lucky again or if the other clinics are ripping people off.

Edited by Marlita

Timeline
So I sent Hubby to get vaccines, and he got Hep B, DT (tetnus), and MMR and he said it was free and that the nurse gave him a new card signed. The nurse told him he didnt have to pay. So I don't know if he got lucky again or if the other clinics are ripping people off.

That is awesome, Marlita. One less thing to worry about and pay for. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.