totes

Why can't we all get along?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi guys,

I know that there has been some negative feelings about one particular poster amoung us (maybe more, I don't know, I generally take what I can use and leave the rest). But..... I don't think it's a bad thing for people to post their negative experiences, in fact, I think it's a good thing. In my opinion, people need to have all the facts. I'm not supporting the opinion in any way, shape or form but.... I do see how it might be helpful to others.

Now, maybe having been here only a year has not afforded me all of the opportunities as those who have been here longer but.... the fact remains that African scam's (419 or relationship) are a very real deal. I have several friends that have been scammed, some used for money, some for a visa and some that have met their soulmates from Africa.

As wonderful as my guy is.... I do know that there are soooo many people that would do anything to get out of Africa and I have to say, having been there (more than once), I can't blame them. I don't agree or believe in some of their tactics, the lengths that some will go thru but I can absolutely understand why some of them do what they do.

Back to the topic at hand.... why does a person have to be bashed for pointing out what most of us already know.... I dcn't take it personally, I don't think idocare is speaking to me personally but I do understand what she is saying and so does my fiance'. He and I talk about it alot because I deal with scams everyday of my life and he knows and admits it is a huge problem there.

I am very passionate about my cause. I don't express myself in the same manner but..... I soooo understand why idontcare feels the need to get her message out there.

Let's just be open minded and take what we can use and leave the rest without bashing people for their passion, can we do that?

09/03/08 - Visa Approved!!!!!!!

09/10/08 - Picked up visa

09/20/08 - Arrived in the US - WHOOOOHOOOOO!

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Timeline
A little theme music for your thread....

Peace

Thanks but I can't be bothered with even turning up my speakers!

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Timeline

Peace

But its purfect!!!

I'll tell you what..... when you've been scammed for one thing or another.... holla! You seem to be too closed minded to even consider the obvious and I'm not taking up for or supporting idocare.... I'm merely supporting the facts.

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Yes, I agree it is helpful to warn about scammers but I disagree with being told everyone here will face their " approaching storm " meaning scammer.

I am for the message but against the approach, against the generalization , against the Nigerian prejudice and for that I will voice my opinion.

Again, tell the story like it is your own and not the fate of this entire forum or we can all turn out the light now and go home as one poster has spoken.

I get along but I speak out against generalizations and disrespect, not reality and not other people's personal experience.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

quote name='tony and tess' date='Jun 16 2008, 08:28 PM' post='1934815']

Hi guys,

I know that there has been some negative feelings about one particular poster amoung us (maybe more, I don't know, I generally take what I can use and leave the rest). But..... I don't think it's a bad thing for people to post their negative experiences, in fact, I think it's a good thing. In my opinion, people need to have all the facts. I'm not supporting the opinion in any way, shape or form but.... I do see how it might be helpful to others.

Now, maybe having been here only a year has not afforded me all of the opportunities as those who have been here longer but.... the fact remains that African scam's (419 or relationship) are a very real deal. I have several friends that have been scammed, some used for money, some for a visa and some that have met their soulmates from Africa.

As wonderful as my guy is.... I do know that there are soooo many people that would do anything to get out of Africa and I have to say, having been there (more than once), I can't blame them. I don't agree or believe in some of their tactics, the lengths that some will go thru but I can absolutely understand why some of them do what they do.

Back to the topic at hand.... why does a person have to be bashed for pointing out what most of us already know.... I dcn't take it personally, I don't think idocare is speaking to me personally but I do understand what she is saying and so does my fiance'. He and I talk about it alot because I deal with scams everyday of my life and he knows and admits it is a huge problem there.

I am very passionate about my cause. I don't express myself in the same manner but..... I soooo understand why idontcare feels the need to get her message out there.

Let's just be open minded and take what we can use and leave the rest without bashing people for their passion, can we do that?

I think the bottom line is that this has been an ongoing topic for that particular VJ member for years, and these kind of threads pop up...This is actualy pretty mild most of the time her thread gets locked....I myself have asked the same question about us all getting along. Her posts are offensive to me, there is always a common theme Nigerians are scammers yada yada yada...

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Peace

But its purfect!!!

I'll tell you what..... when you've been scammed for one thing or another.... holla! You seem to be too closed minded to even consider the obvious and I'm not taking up for or supporting idocare.... I'm merely supporting the facts.

I just thought the video was cute and went along with the craziness.... :blush:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I believe that misery loves company, and there are some people who love to be flame bait. This technique always brings back a return on the investment, simply due to the fact that it IS a valid discussion. BUT, when the OP continually seems to want to predict gloom and doom upon the relationships of the happy and hopeful, it is obvious that there is no good intention "intended."

Why does this OP appear when she does? This can be for several reasons, but one of them seems to be in hopes of gaing some form of "attention" by stirring up the pot. This OP appears to be a well-spoken and intelligent person, yet she has been scorned to the point of chronic bitterness. Apparently without a proper resolution, these feelings of anger and bitterness periodically cry out for release. Thus, the quarterly voyage to visa journey....

Well, I am no better than the next person, and I am not judging. I just think that there is a proper time and place for everything.

I have been scammed by both an American and a Nigerian person in the past. But the common denominator and operative word here is "person." I did not generalize and stereotype my entire county by the actions of the American man, nor do I judge the entire country of Nigeria or continent of Africa by the actions of that one "moron" that just happened to be Nigerian.

I say let's just continue to pray for the OP, and hope that her happiness is fully restored one day soon. I pray that she also finds love again....someone that will wipe the memory of that horrible man completely out of her mind - or at least vaguely. We must remember that there is a child in the picture. And even more so, that child is a boy who will one day become a man himself. God bless his heart.

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline
I believe that misery loves company, and there are some people who love to be flame bait. This technique always brings back a return on the investment, simply due to the fact that it IS a valid discussion. BUT, when the OP continually seems to want to predict gloom and doom upon the relationships of the happy and hopeful, it is obvious that there is no good intention "intended."

Why does this OP appear when she does? This can be for several reasons, but one of them seems to be in hopes of gaing some form of "attention" by stirring up the pot. This OP appears to be a well-spoken and intelligent person, yet she has been scorned to the point of chronic bitterness. Apparently without a proper resolution, these feelings of anger and bitterness periodically cry out for release. Thus, the quarterly voyage to visa journey....

Well, I am no better than the next person, and I am not judging. I just think that there is a proper time and place for everything.

I have been scammed by both an American and a Nigerian person in the past. But the common denominator and operative word here is "person." I did not generalize and stereotype my entire county by the actions of the American man, nor do I judge the entire country of Nigeria or continent of Africa by the actions of that one "moron" that just happened to be Nigerian.

I say let's just continue to pray for the OP, and hope that her happiness is fully restored one day soon. I pray that she also finds love again....someone that will wipe the memory of that horrible man completely out of her mind - or at least vaguely. We must remember that there is a child in the picture. And even more so, that child is a boy who will one day become a man himself. God bless his heart.

I haven't yet read the "offending thread" but I wanted to say that your post was very intelligent and positive. I agree with everything you said and I'm glad you were able to accept the hurt and move past it. (F)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.