Annabelle

Bringing my mom to the USA

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I want to bring my mom to the USA soon and I'm wondering about the health care and coverage for her as a permanent resident. Anybody has been there done that?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I want to bring my mom to the USA soon and I'm wondering about the health care and coverage for her as a permanent resident. Anybody has been there done that?

Beats me. our daughter recently turned 19, the cutoff date for our health insurance company, with a high school education, can't even find a job that offers medical coverage, she finally realized she better quit screwing around and go to college so our medical insurance will cover her until she is 25 years old. Don't you have to sign an I-864 to bring your mom here? The illegals can seem to get medical treatment for free.

Since if have four family members in the medical profession, three are doctors, hear about their side of the story in spending more time dealing with insurance companies with claim than treating patients. They do all the work, have to answer to them while the insurance companies just deal with cash. Have to build these huge sky scrapers, load them up with computers and people, and keep their stockholders happy, so we end up paying about two bucks for every buck the medical profession gets. It's a mess. Heard a call in program on PBS radio where Americans touring in Europe had some major medical problems like a heart bypass operation, but were told their country paid the bill, you don't owe anything.

Universal health care has been an issue in every election since I can remember, all kinds of promises, but nothing was done about it so far.

An individual high deductible health plan around here costs about 800 bucks a month, all it takes is lots of money with the deductible can add up to about $11,000.00 per year.

Another reason for the high cost is liability insurance my kids have to pay, makes sense if your left leg is bad and they cut off your right leg. But gets touchy when a doctor has to decide whether to run more tests, if they do, have to fight with the insurance company, if they don't, can be dragged into court. That insurance cost has to be passed along to the patients and the attorneys are getting a big hunk of that change. This was not true in this country as little as 30 years ago.

Hope others respond to your question, I don't have the answer to this, except having lots of money to spend. If you mom is young enough and has a good skill, maybe be able to find a high end job that offers medical coverage.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Annabelle,

My mom is coming here to live with me in a couple of month. Her interview is in the end of June. It took me 1 year from the begining to her interview date. Let me know if you will have questions about the process - it was very confusing at times for me.

As for health insurance, here is the answer i got from one of the members here who brought his mother as well: "Regarding health insurance, we just got the mother-in-law approved for Medicaid, despite the fact there is an affidavit of support in effect on her behalf. Public health insurance is not considered a public charge under federal policy because it is not cash assistance (see USCIS Quick Guide to Public Charge). Furthermore, at least in my state (NY), the state courts ruled in 2001 that it was unconstitutional under the state constitution to deny new immigrants health insurance benefits as the federal government does for the first 5 years after admission under the PRWORA-Welfare Reform law passed in 1996 (also, state decisions like this one often become precedent decisions considered by other states under their laws and state constitutions, so a similar ruling may have happened in your state too). Finally, NY currently has a policy of no sponsor-deeming when considering eligibility for health insurance benefits to immigrants, nor will it seek reimbursement from sponsors for such benefits provided; therefore our income and resources were not considered part of her household even though she is living with us under the sponsorship contract. Consequently, NY state basically must provide health benefits such as Medicaid for new immigrant residents who are otherwise eligible using entirely state funds until the 5-year ban on federal funding is satisfied, at which point the costs will are shared between the two governments as usual. (see NY Health Dept's memo on Citizenship and Alien Status Requirements for the Medicaid)" I live in CA and didnt check the law about it in my state.

But again if your mother lives by herself to me it worth it to bring her here and not to worry about what is going on and why she doesnt pick up her cell... did somethng happen or she just a sleep?... i am sure you know what i am talking about.

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

12/13/07 I-130 approved by USCIS and sent to NVC!

12/27/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

02/15/08 DS-3032

02/22/08 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

01/31/08 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

03/03/08 IV fee bill generated

04/28/08 DS-230 delivered to NVC

05/12/08 RFE (original birth certificate) entered onto case

05/15/08 Case complete at NVC!

06/02/08 NVC schedules the interview & Case was sent to Moscow, Russia

Embassy (Moscow)

07/08/08 Medical exam in Filatov Clinic

07/28/08 Original Interview Date - she was 2 hr late and they told her to come back the next day

07/29/08 Interview APPROVED!

07/31/08 Visa rcvd!

09/24/08 Entered USA

10/06/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

Paperwork got lost.... have to do " lost visa prosedure"

06/11/09 Finally recieved welcome to US notice & card production was ordered.

06/27/09 PR card rcvd!

Timeline

Thank you for your replies!

Pavlovna7, I will certainly let you know if I have any questions and difficulties with bringing my mom here (I need to get the us citizenship first (this year)) and then file for my mom's residency.

You were absolutely right about wondering and worring where your mom is and how she is there is Russia! It kills me! She needs to stay at work till the mid of next year anyway and then she will just come and stay with us for some time and come back to Russia antil we get the permanent residency for her here. I'm just really worried about the health case here because our moms and dads go to the doctors more often the older they are and I know the health insurance is VERY EXPENSIVE in the USA! I'm added to my hubby's and have to figure out something for my mom!

Do you live in a big city? Does your mom feel good about moving with you and living her country? Will she be getting her retirement in the USA?

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Thank you for your replies!

Pavlovna7, I will certainly let you know if I have any questions and difficulties with bringing my mom here (I need to get the us citizenship first (this year)) and then file for my mom's residency.

You were absolutely right about wondering and worring where your mom is and how she is there is Russia! It kills me! She needs to stay at work till the mid of next year anyway and then she will just come and stay with us for some time and come back to Russia antil we get the permanent residency for her here. I'm just really worried about the health case here because our moms and dads go to the doctors more often the older they are and I know the health insurance is VERY EXPENSIVE in the USA! I'm added to my hubby's and have to figure out something for my mom!

Do you live in a big city? Does your mom feel good about moving with you and living her country? Will she be getting her retirement in the USA?

Annabelle,

I live in a farly small city - Modesto. I have a good insurance through the company i work for. But of course, we cant add our mom's to our insurance. :( but again think that so many people come in thier age and still somehow come up with the salution to this problem. And to be honest russian health insurance sucks!!!! :wacko: Onece i will know how we will go about my mom with this question i will let you know ok? Congrads on your coming citizenship!!!

My mom is afraid of course - it is hard to move here. He is 56 and use to be independent and here she will depend on me. And i am getting married in 3 weeks, so she is afraid that she will get in the way.... :P i told her that it is not going to be the situation. But now when she is just a couple short month away from coming here she getting very happy and starts planing the future here. It is very nice v=because before she wouldnt even want to talk about it. She is going to transfer her russian retirement to USA, but it is going to be just $200 or so - not enaugh for anything. She cant recieve american retirememnt since she never worked here.....

I hope i answered on all of your questions.

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

12/13/07 I-130 approved by USCIS and sent to NVC!

12/27/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

02/15/08 DS-3032

02/22/08 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

01/31/08 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

03/03/08 IV fee bill generated

04/28/08 DS-230 delivered to NVC

05/12/08 RFE (original birth certificate) entered onto case

05/15/08 Case complete at NVC!

06/02/08 NVC schedules the interview & Case was sent to Moscow, Russia

Embassy (Moscow)

07/08/08 Medical exam in Filatov Clinic

07/28/08 Original Interview Date - she was 2 hr late and they told her to come back the next day

07/29/08 Interview APPROVED!

07/31/08 Visa rcvd!

09/24/08 Entered USA

10/06/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

Paperwork got lost.... have to do " lost visa prosedure"

06/11/09 Finally recieved welcome to US notice & card production was ordered.

06/27/09 PR card rcvd!

Timeline

Pavlovna7,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! (F)

Have you been living in the USA for a while? Is your husband an american? What does he think about your mom coming over and living with you?

My mom is 57 and she is a very independent person, too. My father died 10 years ago and she hasn't remarried. She visited me last year and helped me after the birth of my daughter and of course now it's very hard for her to be away from us (I'm the only child in the family). She wants to live with us and be close to her granddaughter and I would be very happy if we could live togather. I worry about her lifestyle in the USA because it's very different than in Russia. There are no sidewalks in our city, at least it's impossible to move around without a car and her English is poor. I'm just worried what she will do and how she will feel :(

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Have a query regarding OF-230-I and OF-230-II documents. I ve applied immigration of my parents under IR5 category. Now NVC has schedualed interveiw, following are the documents which have been asked to bring at the time of interview ( following are the doc along with their status)

OF-230-I Yes/Document Complete/Reviewed,

OF-230-II Yes/Document Complete/Reviewed

Passport Yes/Document Complete/Reviewed

Birth Cert Orig Doc Recieved

Marrige Cert Orig Doc Recieved

Police Cert Orig Doc Recieved

Financial Evidence Yes/Document Complete/Reviewed

Photographs Yes/Document Complete/Reviewed

Medical examination results

My concern is do we have to fill again DS230 and secondly original above cert were already sent to NVC . how can i ge t the orig copy of these cert again.

In the NOTICE TO VISA APPLICANT its mentioned in bold "Please note that even though the applicant may have provided the NVC with a copy of a doc , the applicant is still required to bring the orig documents to the visa interview".

I hope some body from their exper could guide me .

waiting from the response, interview is on 23th of next month.

thanks

Timeline
Have a query regarding OF-230-I and OF-230-II documents. I ve applied immigration of my parents under IR5 category. Now NVC has schedualed interveiw, following are the documents which have been asked to bring at the time of interview ( following are the doc along with their status)

OF-230-I Yes/Document Complete/Reviewed,

OF-230-II Yes/Document Complete/Reviewed

Passport Yes/Document Complete/Reviewed

Birth Cert Orig Doc Recieved

Marrige Cert Orig Doc Recieved

Police Cert Orig Doc Recieved

Financial Evidence Yes/Document Complete/Reviewed

Photographs Yes/Document Complete/Reviewed

Medical examination results

My concern is do we have to fill again DS230 and secondly original above cert were already sent to NVC . how can i ge t the orig copy of these cert again.

In the NOTICE TO VISA APPLICANT its mentioned in bold "Please note that even though the applicant may have provided the NVC with a copy of a doc , the applicant is still required to bring the orig documents to the visa interview".

I hope some body from their exper could guide me .

waiting from the response, interview is on 23th of next month.

thanks

I don't see any connection to my topic here.

You need to start your own!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.