chaental

Need help filing the 601 and/or 212?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me.

My husband was in the U.S. illegally from 1999-2006 and was deported. He received a paper from the U.S. Dept of Justice banning him from entering the U.S. for 10 yrs. At the I-130 interview, the officer told me that my husband would need to file a waiver of grounds of inadmissability and to call and make an appointment at the U.s. embassy in Ecuador.

I got everything ready for that, and when I called USCIS again with questions, they told me that you cannot make an appointment for the waiver, you have to wait until the Visa interview and if a waiver is needed they will have him fill one out then.

So, I haven't done anything. Our case is almost complete at the NVC I am just waiting for the packet. Now, I have been reading these forums and it says that people go to the Visa interview, get denied, and then have a second interview, and a long waiting period in between....

I called NVC to ask them about this, and what they told me is that the Waiver is not filed through the embassy it is filed with Immigration. Does this mean the USCIS? Should I have my husband bring the form and packet from me to his Visa interview just in case they can do it that day?

I am very confused about this and I really don't want to waste anymore time than I have to.

Please any responses would be appreciated. Maybe I will call the NVC back, but it doesn't seem like they know anything.

Filed: Country: Honduras
Timeline

My husband was in the U.S. illegally from 1999-2006 and was deported. He received a paper from the U.S. Dept of Justice banning him from entering the U.S. for 10 yrs. At the I-130 interview, the officer told me that my husband would need to file a waiver of grounds of inadmissability and to call and make an appointment at the U.s. embassy in Ecuador.

I got everything ready for that, and when I called USCIS again with questions, they told me that you cannot make an appointment for the waiver, you have to wait until the Visa interview and if a waiver is needed they will have him fill one out then.

So, I haven't done anything. Our case is almost complete at the NVC I am just waiting for the packet. Now, I have been reading these forums and it says that people go to the Visa interview, get denied, and then have a second interview, and a long waiting period in between....

I called NVC to ask them about this, and what they told me is that the Waiver is not filed through the embassy it is filed with Immigration. Does this mean the USCIS? Should I have my husband bring the form and packet from me to his Visa interview just in case they can do it that day?

I am very confused about this and I really don't want to waste anymore time than I have to.

Please any responses would be appreciated. Maybe I will call the NVC back, but it doesn't seem like they know anything.

Hi,

What will happen is, your hubby will scheduled an IV interview at the US EMbassy in Ecuador. At the interview he will be denied a visa. When he is denied he will be given a 221g. This paper will explain why he was denied a visa. If he is eligible to file the 601 hardship waiver and 212 he will be told that he can file. The cost for these is $545 each. I do not know how Ecuador works but usually if you have the waivers with you they will allow you to pay for and turn in the waivers. From there the ajudication depends on the specific office or if it has to be sent to another DHS facility to ajuducate. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They refer to DHS as USCIS almost interchageably.

Have you completed your hardship letter and packet??

If not, check out immigrate2us.net. They have a lot of tips and examples there as well as a lot of people experienced with waivers.

Filed: Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If not, check out immigrate2us.net. They have a lot of tips and examples there as well as a lot of people experienced with waivers.

Thank you I will check out that site.

Hi,

What will happen is, your hubby will scheduled an IV interview at the US EMbassy in Ecuador. At the interview he will be denied a visa. When he is denied he will be given a 221g. This paper will explain why he was denied a visa. If he is eligible to file the 601 hardship waiver and 212 he will be told that he can file. The cost for these is $545 each. I do not know how Ecuador works but usually if you have the waivers with you they will allow you to pay for and turn in the waivers. From there the ajudication depends on the specific office or if it has to be sent to another DHS facility to ajuducate. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Do you have to apply for both of the waivers? Wow, that is a lot of money.

Filed: Country: Honduras
Timeline

Thank you I will check out that site.

Hi,

Do you have to apply for both of the waivers? Wow, that is a lot of money.

Yes, the 212 is for the deporation and the 601 is the hardship waiver (the hardships that YOU the US citizen will suffer if hubby is not allowed to come back to the US)

Edited by Suffering

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.