DonnaB

Does AP make me a "parolee"?

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a question relating to applying for Federal Aid. I found the information below on a post from 2006. Apparently if you have your AP but awaiting your AOS approval you may be classed as a "parolee". Is this correct? The information I have found online re. parolee makes it appear that that classification applies more to humanitarian parolees.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Donna

www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?act=findpost&pid=642390

"as far as financial aid goes, Rebeccajo is right...you are not a conditional permanent resident at this point. you are an adjustment applicant. you are, however, an "eligible non-citizen". the way that we got anthony qualified for federal financial aid was by producing his Advance Parole, as Parolees DO qualify for Pell Grants! of course, it took some wrangling and convincing talk to get the financial aid officers at the school to actually believe us!

You must be one of the following to receive federal

student aid:

• U.S. citizen

• U.S. national (includes natives of American

Samoa or Swain’s Island)

• U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151,

I-551, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card)

If you’re not in one of these categories, you must have

an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship

and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the

following designations:

• “Refugee”

• “Asylum Granted”

• “Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending”

• “Conditional Entrant” (valid only if issued

before April 1, 1980)

• “Parolee” (You must be paroled into the United States

for at least one year and you must be able to provide evi-

dence from the USCIS that you are in the United States

for other than a temporary purpose and that you intend

to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.)

If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent

Residence (I-171 or I-464), you’re not eligible for federal student

financial aid.

If you’re in the United States on certain visas, including an F1

or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you’re not

eligible for federal student financial aid.

now, what happened to us, however, was that the first year following anthony's application for AOS, he was approved...however, there is a provision in the law that says that you are only eligible for financial aid during the first year of parolee status, because they expect that an application for AOS should be approved and you should have the greencard in hand by that time. in our case, sadly, that was not so."[/b][/b]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi,

I have a question relating to applying for Federal Aid. I found the information below on a post from 2006. Apparently if you have your AP but awaiting your AOS approval you may be classed as a "parolee". Is this correct? The information I have found online re. parolee makes it appear that that classification applies more to humanitarian parolees.

Donna

Sounds completely reasonable to me...

YMMV

Hi,

Donna

You don't become a parolee until you enter into the United States using the AP Document. If you have it in hand and have not used it, your status hasn't changed (i.e. you're still Pending Decision of Attorney General).

K-1 Visa Process.

===========

See my timeline

AOS Process

========

01/23/08 - AOS Package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

01/25/08 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765 and I-131

02/15/08 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765

02/18/08 - I-485 transferred to CSC

02/21/08 - I-485 & I-765 touched

03/11/08 - I-131 approved

03/18/08 - I-765 approved

03/19/08 - EAD arrives

03/20/08 - AP arrives

03/27/08 - I-485 touched

04/11/08 - I-485 touched (case received at CSC)

04/13/08 - I-485 touched

06/07/08 - I-551 Card production ordered

06/13/08 - Welcome Letter arrives

06/16/08 - I-551 Card arrives

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.