7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husband and I are getting ready to submit his paperwork for his change of status to unconditional.

For those who are farther along in the process (who are working or almost approved to work) how long did it take you from the step we are at until the step you were finally approved and able to work?

I just can't believe that it takes this long. It seems a bit unfair! :unsure:

My husband and I are getting ready to submit his paperwork for his change of status to unconditional.

For those who are farther along in the process (who are working or almost approved to work) how long did it take you from the step we are at until the step you were finally approved and able to work?

I just can't believe that it takes this long. It seems a bit unfair! :unsure:

I don't understand what you mean by saying "unconditional status". Do you mean a green card? Or you're asking about how long it takes to get an EAD? I'm confused :blush:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have no idea! It's the next step you take after you are married. He was approved at his interview in London for the K-1 visa. We got married last month, and now we are on the next step.

Not sure if it is greencard or EAD. What is EAD? All these acronyms are really confusing! :blush:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

AOS stands for Adjustment Of Status, this is the process of changing your status from that of a K-1 visa holder to a legal permanent resident. The end of this process is being issued with a 2 year conditional green card. An EAD is an Employment Authorization Document. This is normally filed for in conjunction with an AOS application and is the document required for your new husband to legally work. If you choose to not apply for the EAD (which some people choose not to apply for) he will be free to work once he receives his Conditional Green Card.

I entered the US in march of 2005. We submitted my AOS paperwork in late May and received NOA's for both AOS and EAD applications in mid June.

I received an RFE related to my AOS application for a missing I-693 vaccination supplement but was assured by both the USCIS and my congressmans office that this should have had no bearing on the processing of my EAD.

In the end it took until mid October for my EAD to be approved which was approximately 5 months after it was submitted. I had to get my congressmans office involved and am convinced that without their help I would still probably be waiting !!

After receiving my EAD it took me until the New Year to get anywhere with my job search and I didn't actually get my first job until Jan 23rd, 2006 which was almost exactly 8 months from the date I submitted my AOS and EAD applications !! I had my green card approved in mid January so actually didn't get to use my EAD because I didn't start work until after my green card was approved.

Be prepared for a good few months out of work after sending in the AOS and EAd applications. In theory if you've not been approved 90 days after your NOA date you can go into your local office to request an interim EAD. However, this system varies in its level of success from office to office.

Hopefully you'll be approved quickly and can join the massed ranks of the US workforce like the rest of us !!

Mark :)

Edited by luv2teach77

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

I have no idea! It's the next step you take after you are married. He was approved at his interview in London for the K-1 visa. We got married last month, and now we are on the next step.

Not sure if it is greencard or EAD. What is EAD? All these acronyms are really confusing! :blush:

Ok, now I understand better. You should read the FAQs and Guides on this website they are very helpful and it will help you to understand better what's going on. Your husband's status has nothing to do with the words conditional and unconditional, it will only confuse people. Once you're married, he should apply for AOS (Adjustment Of Status, or in other words reen card). The wait for green card can take quite a while, and so in the meanwhile people have the option to also apply for EAD (Employment Authorizaton Document) and that's the document that allows your husband to work, once it's approved, which usually takes from 30 up to 90 days for approval. He can also apply for AP (Advanced Parol) and it allows him to leave the US and come back before he has his green card. And once he has his green card, he can travel and work without any restrictions. Hope this clears things a bit.

Edited by Anastasia

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It took us about 5 months to get work authorization.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I received my EAD within a month (Oklahoma City was smokin' at that point), but it's taken me a while to get interviews/work. I made the mistake of concentrating on looking for work in my field (museum/heritage preservation) and no luck for moi. Now that I have broadened my outlook a bit, it's getting a littel easier to at least get interviews.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.