HumanUnit

Mixed messages regarding the tax forms!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm having a little panic attack...there was some confusion before I filed my Affidavit of Support form regarding whether they needed ONE or THREE years of tax information. The cover letter and instruction booklet said something different.

I came here for help and was told ONE year would suffice. I called the NVC number and it was confirmed that ONE year would suffice, and so I posted about that here too just to let everyone know. But I had also emailed NVC before I even asked anyone here, and they finally got back to me today saying:

Please be advised the sponsor is required to provide copies of his or her Schedules, Federal income tax returns and W-2 Forms for the THREE most recently filed tax years when submitting the Affidavit of Support Form I-864. Literal printouts from the IRS (RTFTP) or a letter 1722 issued by IRS are also acceptable.

WHAT??? I've already sent my form in! Why am I hearing contradictory stuff from them?? Who is mistaken here??

Nov 29 2005 I-130 received at VSC

Mar 13 2006 I-130 approved at CSC

April 24 2006 $380 mailed to NVC

May 5 2006 I-186 mailed to NVC

May 18 2006 I-186 received by NVC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi HumanUnit.

They did change it that you only need to file one. However, you may want to check the Embassy where your interivew will take place. My husband is going to Turkey, and they still request three.

Here is the link to the DOS that shows what is currently requested:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegram...grams_2863.html

Ali (Iran) & Joye (US)....... Our Journey.........

Feb 28th 2004 :) We met in Cebu PI

April 1st 2004- I went home to US

May 1st 2004- Moved to Cebu

May 28th 2004- MARRIED!

Feb 7 2005 - Back to the US

July 8 2005- Send I-130

July 11 2005- recv'd I-130 NOA1

July 22 2005- Cebu for a visit

Aug 2 2005- Went home :( he went back to Iran)

Aug 12 2005- I was touched and didn't even know it!!!

1/12/06 - I-130 APPROVED!!!!!!! NOA2

2/14/06- Recv'd DS-3032/ I-864 Fee

2/15/06 - Mailed $70

2/27/06 - Emailed DS-3032

3/16/06 - Recv'd IV Bill

3/20/06 - Mailed $380

4/20/06 - Mailed I-864

4/21/06 - Mailed DS230 WOOHOO Come on NVC be quick about it...please??!

4/24/06 - NVC Recv'd I-864 and DS230

5/1/06 - Case Complete....... placed on Admin Processing

5/10/06 - CASE COMPLETE THANK YOU LORD!

5/12/06 - Case is on its way to Ankara!!! woohoo!!

5/16/06 - Delivered case to Ankara!!

6/6/06 - Interview!!!

7/27/06 - Ali's Birthday.....FBI CHECKS DONE!!

8/9/06 - VISA IN HAND WOOOT WOOT

9/1/06 - HE IS HERE HE IS HERE HE IS HERE

Timeline
Hi HumanUnit.

They did change it that you only need to file one. However, you may want to check the Embassy where your interivew will take place. My husband is going to Turkey, and they still request three.

Thank you, I did see that link. However, what happens now if Montreal does indeed require three? Do I just take that to the interview, or have I totally screwed up my form by not sending all three in?? This is just too frustrating considering that I'm so pressed for time. :crying:

Hi HumanUnit.

Thank you, I did see that link. However, what happens now if Montreal does indeed require three? Do I just take that to the interview, or have I totally screwed up my form by not sending all three in?? This is just too frustrating considering that I'm so pressed for time. :crying:

we also sent 3...dont worry they will contact you if 3 are needed!!

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Timeline

Thanks for your post! I see from your signature that you sent yours in before the change of policy! :)

I really hope this doesn't slow down my process! I'm not impressed at all that I've gotten two contradictory answers from the NVC at this point and there's no one to answer the phone there right now!

Thanks for your post! I see from your signature that you sent yours in before the change of policy! :)

I really hope this doesn't slow down my process! I'm not impressed at all that I've gotten two contradictory answers from the NVC at this point and there's no one to answer the phone there right now!

But on the bright side, NVC are pretty fast when it comes to RFE, as i got 1 & it didnt slow me down at all!!

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Filed: Timeline

In the case of immigrant visas, when the I-130 petition was submitted to a domestic USCIS Service Center, it falls to the NVC to collect the visa application and the affidavit of support before forwarding the approved petition and visa appication on to the consular post that will process the application. The NVC inspects the I-864 submission for completeness, but does not evaluate its sufficiency - that responsibility remains with the consulate.

It's not clear from the distribution identified at the top of that memo if the NVC was included in the distribution - to an outsider it appears that the NVC might not have been included.

Yodrak

Hi HumanUnit.

Timeline

Thanks Yodrak...you're right about the link! However I was still told the opposite by the guy on the phone, and the cover letter of instructions for the form said "last year's tax return". Hopefully I can get someone on the phone in the morning and figure out what's going on!!

HumanUnit,

Why not just submit 3 years of tax returns and you're covered no matter what the answer from any particular individual.

This is new policy, at both USCIS and DoS. It will take a while for the word to work its way throughout the organizations.

Yodrak

Thanks Yodrak...you're right about the link! However I was still told the opposite by the guy on the phone, and the cover letter of instructions for the form said "last year's tax return". Hopefully I can get someone on the phone in the morning and figure out what's going on!!

Timeline

As I mentioned in my original post, I've already sent it! Hence the dilemma. I don't think there's any way I can send them now (interestingly I only received the transcripts today).

HumanUnit,

Once a submission is made it's usually hopeless to try to add to it unless and until something additional is asked for. So if this is a concern for you just be prepared in case it is asked for, whether by the NVC or the consulate.

Yodrak

As I mentioned in my original post, I've already sent it! Hence the dilemma. I don't think there's any way I can send them now (interestingly I only received the transcripts today).

Timeline

UPDATE

I finally got the NVC on the phone again and they said as of April 10th they now only need the ONE tax year. I'm really hoping and praying that this is their final answer and the person who emailed me just made a mistake! I guess we'll see!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.