MarionandJack

Is it possible to get married in a courthouse?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyboby!!!

I've been in America for three weeks now and my fiance and I (i'm french) would like to get married this Mid-June.

I personally would love to have a judge perform the marriage ceremony in a courthouse because it would remind me of the civil ceremonies townhall mayors perform in my homecountry.

Does any of you know if it is possible to get married by a judge in a courthouse in Virginia (especially in Alexandria)? Are there any fees or anything special that I should do? It looks like it is more frequent to have a justice of the peace perform the ceremony in your backyard though.....

What has been your own experience? Should I keep on willing to have a courthouse wedding or should I go for a backyard wedding performed by a justice of the peace?

Looking forward to hearing from you and getting your personal advice!!!

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Hello everyboby!!!

I've been in America for three weeks now and my fiance and I (i'm french) would like to get married this Mid-June.

I personally would love to have a judge perform the marriage ceremony in a courthouse because it would remind me of the civil ceremonies townhall mayors perform in my homecountry.

Does any of you know if it is possible to get married by a judge in a courthouse in Virginia (especially in Alexandria)? Are there any fees or anything special that I should do? It looks like it is more frequent to have a justice of the peace perform the ceremony in your backyard though.....

What has been your own experience? Should I keep on willing to have a courthouse wedding or should I go for a backyard wedding performed by a justice of the peace?

I had a courthouse wedding in Maryland....we were wed by a Judge!! it's inexpensive and quick and you can invite up to 12 people in ( Elliott City, MD) you can, not sure about other states or counties!! but all I needed to bring to get the license was my passport, husband Birth cert and my birth cert.( he wasn't even there) and 30 bucks and our date was set for a few days later.

we plan to have a church wedding in 2009 and thats when we are gonna go all out!!

In my opinion at this point in this suituation I think a Civil cermony would be a good choice, it's less expensive and then you can save and have the wedding of ur dreams later on!!

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Who God Bless,No Man curse!!

.........AOS JOURNEY.........

03/26/2008 Sent AOS/I-130 package

03/28/2008 Package recieved at Chicago Lockbox

04/07/2008 Recieved all 3 NOAs (Notice date:04/02/2008)

04/09/2008 All checks cashed

04/17/2008 EAD Touched!

04/21/2008 Received RFE for I-864

04/23/2008 Sent RFE back

04/24/2008 Delivered at Lee's Summit, MO

04/26/2008 Bio appointment (Notice date: 04/07/2008) DONE!!

05/02/2008 AOS Touched

06/03/2008 EAD Card production ordered (CRIS Email)

06/05/2008 EAD Approval notice sent (CRIS Email)

06/07/2008 EAD in hand,YAY/Interveiw Letter in mailbox!

06/11/2008 Applied for SSN

07/31/2008 Initial Interview: Approved

l_a03199d5cbe59af46ba0aa9c18329b4e.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline
Hello everyboby!!!

Hello! I used to live in Alexandria. You should go down to city hall ... right on King Street. It is a beautiful building/area also.. I am sure you have seen it. I am sure they can help you. It would be nice if a judge could marry you right out front near the flowers etc...

I am not sure about the courthouse.. I have been in the courthouse also and there is nothing romantic about it! LOL

Maybe a city hall marriage would suit you?

Congratulations!!

:-)

Catherine

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes :yes: we had a courthouse wedding to then be able to start adjustment of status, and a few months later had a nice reception for friends and family.

My brother and his wife had their ceremony in the foyer of the county office building with a judge proceeding over it.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline

I'm also going to have a courthouse marriage...$55 all of 5 mins over and done with. My dress was $30 (was originally $349) at Filenes Basment believe it or not...all I need to do is have it cleaned. I'm planning a large wedding in Jamaica in 2 years. We're both from very large families and I would be in the poor house if I try to plan anything like that in the states. Besides the friends and co-workers I have here are all dying to go to Jamaica...so I think 2 years is enough time to get the planning on track.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline
Hello everyboby!!!

I had a courthouse wedding in Maryland....we were wed by a Judge!! it's inexpensive and quick and you can invite up to 12 people in ( Elliott City, MD) you can, not sure about other states or counties!! but all I needed to bring to get the license was my passport, husband Birth cert and my birth cert.( he wasn't even there) and 30 bucks and our date was set for a few days later.

we plan to have a church wedding in 2009 and thats when we are gonna go all out!!

In my opinion at this point in this suituation I think a Civil cermony would be a good choice, it's less expensive and then you can save and have the wedding of ur dreams later on!!

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Thank you very much for your helpful information!!!! If it's possible, we're definitely gonna go for a civil ceremony at the court or city hall. Looks like yours in Maryland was great!

Thanks again and best of luck to you for your upcoming wedding! You make a cute happy couple!!!!!!!!

!

Timeline
Hello everyboby!!!

Hello! I used to live in Alexandria. You should go down to city hall ... right on King Street. It is a beautiful building/area also.. I am sure you have seen it. I am sure they can help you. It would be nice if a judge could marry you right out front near the flowers etc...

I am not sure about the courthouse.. I have been in the courthouse also and there is nothing romantic about it! LOL

Maybe a city hall marriage would suit you?

Congratulations!!

:-)

Catherine

Thank you so much Catherine! I'm gonna check out the city hall, looks like a cool option!

Best wishes to you and your gorgeous family!

And merci encore!

Timeline
Yes :yes: we had a courthouse wedding to then be able to start adjustment of status, and a few months later had a nice reception for friends and family.

My brother and his wife had their ceremony in the foyer of the county office building with a judge proceeding over it.

Thanks for sharing this info with me! I'm glad to hear that courthouse weddings are possible!

Timeline
I'm also going to have a courthouse marriage...$55 all of 5 mins over and done with. My dress was $30 (was originally $349) at Filenes Basment believe it or not...all I need to do is have it cleaned. I'm planning a large wedding in Jamaica in 2 years. We're both from very large families and I would be in the poor house if I try to plan anything like that in the states. Besides the friends and co-workers I have here are all dying to go to Jamaica...so I think 2 years is enough time to get the planning on track.

Oh, cool!!!! Thanks for the info, and Congrats for your upcoming court marriage as well as for the big one in Jamaica! Sounds like an awesome wedding ahead! Oh, and congrats on your dress!

Best,

M.&J.

I got married at City Hall

Tt was the most sterile, unromantic, business-like thing ever. It lasted like 3 minutes. *shudder*

We're going back to Trinidad for a proper wedding next summer.

Removing Conditions

07/31/2010 - Filed for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/02/2010 - ROC Packet received

08/03/2010 - NOA notice date for I-751

08/05/2010 - Check cashed

08/07/2010 - NOA received for I-751

08/13/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received

09/01/2010 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2010 - Case status appears online

11/08/2010 - Card production ordered

11/13/2010 - I-751 Approval Letter received

11/19/2010 - Green Card received in the mail

Citizenship

08/01/2011 - Filed for Citizenship (N-400)

08/03/2011 - N400 Packet received

08/05/2011 - Received email/text confirming application receipt

08/08/2011 - Check cashed

08/09/2011 - Biometrics notice sent

08/12/2011 - NOA received for N400

08/12/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter received

08/29/2011 - Biometrics taken

08/31/2011 - Case Status Notification: Placed in line for interview scheduling

10/11/2011 - Received yellow letter

01/11/2012 - Interview letter sent

01/17/2012 - Interview letter received

02/16/2012 - Interview & received Oath letter

03/06/2012 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

We did that too.

It costs us $200 for the judge but she spend a good 45mins to an hour with us.

She let us create our own vows and basically everything she was saying. We were allowed to seat in the judge seat and make a bunch of goofy pics.

If you want just a paper saying you are married, just pick anyone. If you want the special touch to it, meet with the judge beforehand.

I remember her telling us that other judges were charging as much but were doing a run of the mill type of thing (every 10 mins they would have a new couple).

I know the fee that you pay to the judge depends on who you talk. They charge their own amount. :P Weird, i know. If it is just a simple signing thing, i think most do it for a nominal fee.

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

Oh another idea is a Justice of the Peace. That the route we are going but I am lucky that my aunt is one so it will make it special ... and FREE! :-)

Then you go to a nice park or something like that... so many place in NOVA to choose, or DC even!

...just a thought. :-)

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hello everyboby!!!

You can get married in the courthouse by a JP, here in Texas is even cheaper bc the judge doesn't have to go anywhere.

BTW, saddly the judge won't be using any band across his chest like en France sorry!

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.