jordanianprincess

Atkins thread - past, present, future

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I've been on Atkins for quite some time now and I love it. Before anyone gets all judgmental about my cholesterol level, mine is normal and I am completely aware that Dr. Atkins died...blah, blah, blah. :lol: I don't eat many high fat foods, I eat lost of greens and lean meats and exercise regularly.

This thread is dedicated to those die-hard atkins people in VJ.

Whats your favorite low-carb treat/meal? Any tips? New discoveries?

I just discovered Diet Berries & Cream Dr. Pepper....YUM, like drinking candy. :thumbs:

05-25-04_krispyKremeLowCarb.jpg

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

I have done the Atkins Diet in the past. I am now on the Southbeach Diet which I like a lot.....I am not a great fan of carbs anyway esp bread. Veggies and salad make up my biggest food portion then meat, I do eat some carbs but in small quantities. I am on my 3rd week and have lost 11lb so far....but I also walk 6 miles a day and I am constantly on my feet and moving at work. I like low carb eating....it really suits me :yes:

good luck!

Edited by welshcookie

I've been on Atkins for a long time and maintaining a good weight. It was my life saver. Basically I don't eat ANY of the 'fake' foods. I'm a strict clean foods eater. That means loads of fruit, salad and veg (all low carb of course) and fresh meat and fish. No sodas of any kind, just lots and lots of water. It's a healthy way of eating if you do it right - it's a shame it got such a bad press from people not even bothering to read the book properly, and from people not following it correctly and then getting sick. My cholesterol and BP have been perfect for years so I have no problems eating this way for the rest of my life. Who wants refined sugar and flour with a heavy dose of corn syrup in their life anyway? For anyone who wants to bash it, I'll post my daily food intake and then they can try and preach to me that it's dangerous :rolleyes:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Timeline

Atkins died as a result of a blow to the head, dunno why anyone would mention that in trying to criticize his diet.

Anyways, i stayed on the induction phase for a year, lol. I lost a CRAPLOAD of weight, but what I also did was I inflamed my liver to the point that I had to cancel a trip to see David because I wasn't well enough to fly. I'm not blaming the diet, it was me that chose to do that.

But I didn't eat all the cheese/meat/eggs stuff...I hate pork rinds. I barely tolerate meat. But I kept it to protiens and green veg only.

Again tho, I lost a crapload, hah!

I don't eat many high fat foods, I eat lost of greens and lean meats and exercise regularly.

That's the South Beach Diet. :)

I did Atkins before. The SBD is basically an improved Atkins Diet.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Holy hell Lisa!!!! you stayed on that for a year?? :lol: I foiund it really hard going for the 2 weeks.... :hehe:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I was on atkins for about 3 months. Lost 30 pounds. I loved it and when I'm done breastfeeding after I have this baby I may do it again.

My fav was my recipe for peanut butter cups. Taste just like reese's but they have no carbs :) I'll have to get the recipes from home to post for you tho :)

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

August 26th -- interview date - we need to complete a I-601 waiver so it's back to waiting again

January 6, 2005 i-601 waiver approved!!!!

January 21, 2005 VISA IN HAND

February 12, 2005 WEDDING!!!!!

March 10, 2005 mailed AOS and EAD applications to Chicago

April 18, 2005 EAD and AOS receipt dates for NOA

June 30, 2005 AOS RFE evidence submitted (translated birth certificate)

August 10, 2005 ---EAD approved via infopass appointment

October 18, 2005 - AOS interview in St. Louis - received an RFE for vaccination supplement

February 9, 2006 - denial for AOS letter due to the wrong form being submitted from the doctor. PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU!!

February 16, 2006 - USCIS accepts the motion to reopen without an additional fee - finally something goes right! We should hear from USCIS St. Louis office within 2 weeks.

April 3, 2006 - Received welcome to America letter in the mail!

April 8, 2006 - Received GC in the mail - done for 2 years!!!!

March 1, 2008 - mailed off I-751

March 3, 2008 NSC delivery confirmation

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

March 28, 2008 Biometrics appointment

Legal Permanent Resident - just waiting for time to pass for him to have eligibility for citizenship.

Filed: Timeline
Holy hell Lisa!!!! you stayed on that for a year?? :lol: I foiund it really hard going for the 2 weeks.... :hehe:

Yep! And i don't need to tell ya the funky taste that ketosis puts in yer mouth? Ugh!

I'd pee on the strips, and they were like the darkest purple ever. And it stayed that way. hah!

I have done Atkins in the past and lost weight successfully. As for the cholesterol thing, my Dr was amazed that after following the diet religously for 5 months, I had significantly lower cholesterol. In fact one of the lowest of all his patients, despite still being overweight. There are studies out that have shown low-carb can equal low cholesterol. The argument about eggs being bad is also flawed, I eat 2 most days and have low low cholesterol still, although I have been off the diet a long time. Eggs are one of the most nutritious natural foods anyone can eat.

I now have to follow a much stricter diet for my health as I was diagnosed with Gastro-Intestinal Candida in January. It is kind of similar to Atkins, but there is no sugar allowed at all in anything. So these days I mainly have to live on Meat, Fish, Vege's and a tiny amount of fruit only. Dairy is strictly limited and only a small amout of wholegrain flour is allowed. Like someone else said above it's a 'clean' food way to eat, which I have to do to stay well.

All in all I am for Atkins, it works and despite the knockers, it made me healthier!

Edited by sukie175