KatieMay

UK to USA - quickest way

17 posts in this topic

Hi All,

This site is so awesome, thank you to everyone for their valuable input, I have already gleaned a ton of information but I'm still totally confused as to what is the best way to proceed in my case (and I understand EVERYONE wants to get their visa through quickly, but I'll ask my question anyway..)

Here is the background:

-- I am a UK resident

-- I have been married for two and a half years to my American citizen Husband was approved for permanent residency to the UK in February of this year.

-- We're both 27 years old

-- We are currently half way into a 3 month stay with his parents in North Carolina.

A GREAT job opportunity for us both has come up and we have decided, while here, it is best that we move to the USA (something we have always known we would eventually do, but perhaps not this soon)

The jobs are ready now so we want to get me permission to stay here or leave and come back, as soon as is physically possible. We are due to leave the USA on July 9th.

What is the best way for me to go about getting residency, as a spouse, in the USA - do I have to go back to the UK or can I do it from here? If I do go back am I going to be stuck there for many months?

Thanks so much in advance,

Katie

Life:

10/13/05: Married in the UK

living in the UK

02/02/08: Husband becomes permanent resident of UK

04/16/08: Visit in-laws in USA, husband gets offered permanent job

AOS:

06/19/08: AOS Packet Mailed

06/28/08: NOA Date

07/17/08: Biometrics Complete

08/30/08: Request for Initial Evidence Arrives (I-485) (booo)

Just to confirm, I am here for this visit on the Visa Waiver Program

Life:

living in the UK

AOS:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess I would ask you a couple things before i gave you any advice...

Did you intend to stay in the US before you came over to visit?

Do you need to go back to England to take care of anything pressing?

Do you have flexibility as to when your new jobs will start, and will your new employer have to get you a work visa?

Timeline

7/11/2007 - I-130 NO1A Hard Copy

8/13/2007 - Son Drayson born in Sudbury, Ontario.

9/6/2007 - I-129F NO1

10/15/2007 - Trip to Toronto for Dray's Consular Birth Abroad, SS application, and US passport

3/18/2008 - NOA2 for both I-129 and I-130!! No touches or email notifications at all!

4/2/2008 - estimated that NVC received

4/9/2008 - estimated that K-3 was sent from NVC to USEMontreal

4/16/2008 - Received hardcopy from NVC

4/16/2008 - Packet 3 Received

4/24/2008 - Packet 3 Sent to USEMontreal

7/14/2008 Interview in Montreal!!!!

7/17/2008 Visa received

7/18/2008 POE Sault Ste Marie Michigan

8/21/2008 moving day...back to Anchorage, Alaska!

4/20/2009 AOS granted, 10 year Green Card arrives, Social Security # given :)

Thanks for your reply...

Did you intend to stay in the US before you came over to visit?

-- We did not, no. We own a home, car - are involved members of our church etc all at home. We got a house sitter for the three months as well. We also brought our dog here to the US with us for this trip (it was too long to leave her) but prior to that, we went through the long and expensive process of getting her a 'European Pet Passport' which allows her to re-enter the UK without having to go through quarantine (this could be confirmed through our vet I presume).

Do you need to go back to England to take care of anything pressing?

-- No (other than talking to the parents - JUST KIDDING) - all of our bills are direct debited and our house sitter is enjoying using our house! (sidenote: we live in Northern Ireland (part of the UK) but that is no issue)

Do you have flexibility as to when your new jobs will start, and will your new employer have to get you a work visa?

Yes I have one hundred percent flexibility, it will wait for me (and my husband can start his straight away I assume). I am also assuming that once I was to be approved for a green card I could work, up until then we can manage on my husband's wage and we will initially be living with his parents (they have a basement apartment that we can use)

Life:

living in the UK

AOS:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Hi All,

This site is so awesome, thank you to everyone for their valuable input, I have already gleaned a ton of information but I'm still totally confused as to what is the best way to proceed in my case (and I understand EVERYONE wants to get their visa through quickly, but I'll ask my question anyway..)

Here is the background:

-- I am a UK resident

-- I have been married for two and a half years to my American citizen Husband was approved for permanent residency to the UK in February of this year.

-- We are currently half way into a 3 month stay with his parents in North Carolina.

A GREAT job opportunity for us both has come up and we have decided, while here, it is best that we move to the USA (something we have always known we would eventually do, but perhaps not this soon)

The jobs are ready now so we want to get me permission to stay here or leave and come back, as soon as is physically possible. We are due to leave the USA on July 9th.

What is the best way for me to go about getting residency, as a spouse, in the USA - do I have to go back to the UK or can I do it from here? If I do go back am I going to be stuck there for many months?

Katie

If US souse is still resident in the UK and has been for more than 6 months, the the quickest visa is for US citizen to file I-130 directly to the Embassy in London (DCF)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=dcf

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Thanks,

My husband is a UK resident and a USA citizen. We have both lived in the UK for two and a half years so he does fulfil those requirements, however -

Although I can wait to start my job, he really needs to start his as soon as possible and so we don't want to be apart if possible - I understand the way you mentioned is 'quicker' but I wonder if there is an alternative 'you don't have to be apart' way to do it? (being that we are currently in the USA)

Life:

living in the UK

AOS:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi All,

Here is the background:

-- I am a UK resident

Katie

If US souse is still resident in the UK and has been for more than 6 months, the the quickest visa is for US citizen to file I-130 directly to the Embassy in London (DCF)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=dcf

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

Yes that would be the quickest way to a visa but I think based on the information provided, she can simply stay and adjust status as well as file for EAD which will allow her to work sooner. This would require she remain in the USA until she gets the green card or advance parole. Her husband could travel to the UK freely if needed.

I'd advise at least an initial consultation with a qualified immigration attorney to confirm the plan but if its as straight forward as it seems, they shouldn't need any assistance to actually accomplish the adjustment.

The burden is on her to demonstrate to an adjudicator that their intentions changed after arrival. I'm convinced.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thanks for that reply, I am defintiely interested in this adjustment thing, I think given our mortgage, pet passport and car ownership over in the UK (and possibly a letter from my pastor telling of our involvement in church) we could prove our intentions :)

Thanks so much :)

Life:

living in the UK

AOS:

Hi again

I've just been going through the requirements for an adjustment of status - it gets a bit confusing when you get down to eligibility

Is it true that I CAN apply as a spouse of a US citizen who came here for a visit on the Visa Waiver Program?

Life:

living in the UK

AOS:

Timeline
Hi again

I've just been going through the requirements for an adjustment of status - it gets a bit confusing when you get down to eligibility

Is it true that I CAN apply as a spouse of a US citizen who came here for a visit on the Visa Waiver Program?

Yes but only because your intention changed. You cannot intend to come here on the VWP with the intention of circumventing immigration law. You intended to visit and circumstances changed.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thank you pushbrk :)

I've just made an appointment for tomorrow to meet with an immigration officer in my 'local office'.

Hopefully the adjustment thing will work out

thanks again!

Life:

living in the UK

AOS:

Timeline

I've just made an appointment for tomorrow to meet with an immigration officer in my 'local office'.

thanks again!

I would advise against meeting with them first but if you do, please report back. I advised you to consult an immigration attorney, not an immigration officer.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

thanks again!

I would advise against meeting with them first but if you do, please report back. I advised you to consult an immigration attorney, not an immigration officer.

Do you think it will jeopardise my application? I figured it was just cheaper to ask an officer (free) than an attorney (not free) haha. Thanks

Life:

living in the UK

AOS:

Timeline

thanks again!

Do you think it will jeopardise my application? I figured it was just cheaper to ask an officer (free) than an attorney (not free) haha. Thanks

Often an initial consultation is free or there's only a nominal charge. The attorney will be on your side and advise you on how to present your case assertively enough to succeed. Depending on who you talk to at USCIS and how well you present your circumstances, and their personal agenda, you could get almost any kind of answer you could imagine.

I think it's a really bad idea. USCIS doesn't represent you. An attorney does. Our agenda and his agenda is to help you and your family remain united. USCIS is more concerned with covering their butts than doing anything for you.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Thanks again push.. I've confused myself greatly haha -

I don't doubt your advice at all, I'm just wondering if this is the general consensus from all members? To steer clear of the immigration officer..

The reason I made the appointment is because the form says this:

If you are not included in the above categories, but believe

you may be eligible for adjustment or creation of record of

permanent residence, contact our National Customer

Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 for information on how

to use the Internet to make an application at your local

USCIS office. 9. Other basis of eligibility.

I think I can cancel my appointment but it is quite soon.

Edited by KatieMay

Life:

living in the UK

AOS:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.