Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

honeymoon outside the U.S.

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: Peru

What, if any, are the restrictions for taking a honeymoon outside the U.S., while the K1 or Adjustment of Status application is being processed? Do you have to wait until it is all finished before we can leave the country (U.S.)/put our honeymoon on hold?

Or even once we are married, can my fiance visit her family in Peru, during the application process, and still come home to me in the U.S. afterwards?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the K-1 application is still being processed, that means you must not be married yet, and therefore wouldn't be on a "honeymoon"..

Once you are married, you can file for AoS (I-485) and file an application for travel document (AKA Advance Parole, or AP) with it. You will have AP usually within 2-3 months from application. You cannot travel (and be allowed reentry) until you have the Advance Parole document.

Check out the guides and FAQ here on VisaJourney. They are quite informative.

Good luck!

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru

Exactly, you will need to file for AP with the AOS filing. Once you get that you will be OK to travel. If you leave the U.S. before that she will not be allowed entry back into the U.S.. Good luck with everything.

Brian & Isa

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

Your wife will need either an AP (Advance Parole) or her green card in order to leave and return to the US. If she leaves before she has one or the other, she will not be allowed to return to the US and you would have to start the whole immigration process over again for a K-3 or a CR-1 visa. You apply for both the Green Card and the AP at the same time after you are married. The AP (I-131) generally takes about 90 days to process and is used for permission to return to the US while she is waiting for her green card to be processed. It is included in the same price with the AOS (green card) application.

You may want to look at 'in America' options for honeymoons unless you want to wait until after she receives her AP or green card to take a honeymoon.

As well, her K-1 is good for a one time entry only. Once she has used it to enter the US she cannot leave the US and return using the K-1; you get married within the 90 days, apply for the AOS/AP/EAD and once she gets the AP she can safely visit her family and return to the US.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...