35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Tik and I did the whole thing by ourselves and she'll be here Wednesday. Took about eight or nine months, an average amount of time from what I can tell. If you're really bad with paperwork or have a complicated case maybe consider it, but I'm definitely happy we did it ourselves.

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

-Harry Burns

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Teresa and I engaged a lawyer before we found this site. Before doing so we investigated every lawyer we were planning to contact. Their seems to be law associations and such that indicate the persons credentials and experience in various areas. In the end we went with a recommendation from a friend who used the lawyer on a number of immigration issues

So far our process has been about average, and although the cost seems a little high, the balance (For us anyway) Was peace of mind that if we mucked anything up, or ran into diffculties, our lawyer was there to hold our hand so to speak

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

This is my experience: I hired a lawyer b/c i had not a clue about immigrations or the forms. Honestly, the lawyer set my case back 6 month by filing wrong facts, misspelling of names, wrong birthdates. My first K-1 was denied I had to filed new one of course i had to pay again. The lawyer i had misrepresented the truth to me told me he could get my fiance back here quicker( i was green of course he took advantage) told me the sooner i pay him the sooner he could check on my fiance interview at the embassy( which was another lie). I had no criminal background never even had a speeding ticket nor did my fiance. After the major screw up with my case I started handling all my paperwork myself and I have never gotten a ref on anything i sent in. One thing i learned from this experience is that I wasted money and time on this lawyer b/c lawyer or no lawyer if uscis want to deny they will deny.

Each case is not the same so it up to the one thats involoved to know whether they need a lawyer or not. My advice would be if one chooses to use a lawyer becareful I think this one saw that I knew absolutely nada about immigration so he took full advantage of the situation.

Best Wishes,

Barb

Edited by BarbSami

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.