Timeline

Happen to run across this in the M-476 manual:

Permanent Resident – A

Permanent Resident is a person

who has been granted permanent

resident status in the United States

and has (or is waiting for) a

Permanent Resident Card.

For marriage on the N-400, we checked this box.

I have been a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States for at least three years, and I

have been married to and living with the same U.S. citizen for the last three years, and my

spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years.

For this question we put the date that my wife received her permanent resident card, well that conditional one anyway.

C. Date You Became a Permanent Resident (mm/dd/yyyy)

But shouldn't we have put the date on her I-797c that came in shortly after our attorney submitted her I-485? He told us once the I-485 and all those other forms were submitted, she is legal to stay here, but it took almost a year to get that green card. Couldn't we have applied for her N-400 over a year ago?

I mean the USCIS is saying (or is waiting for) a Permanent Resident Card

so by their law, she was a permanent resident for that period of time. So why didn't we count it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Permanent residence status begins the moment USCIS APPROVES LPR status, NOT when the I-485 was submited.

Status for a person without green-card while waiting for I-485 approval is. "I-485 pending" the alien is allowed to remain in the USA until a decision is made on the I-485. The time they are waiting for I-485 approval they are considered to be a NON-Resident visitor. K-Visa is a NON-Immigrant visa.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Permanent residence status begins the moment USCIS APPROVES LPR status, NOT when the I-485 was submited.

Status for a person without green-card while waiting for I-485 approval is. "I-485 pending" the alien is allowed to remain in the USA until a decision is made on the I-485. The time they are waiting for I-485 approval they are considered to be a NON-Resident visitor. K-Visa is a NON-Immigrant visa.

Adding Lawful to permanent resident is redundant, either you are a permanent resident or not.

But I can only reply, why does the USCIS define a permanent resident as one that is waiting for a permanent resident card?

But I can only reply, why does the USCIS define a permanent resident as one that is waiting for a permanent resident card?

They don't. They define a permanent resident as "a person who has been granted permanent resident status in the United States". The phrase "and has (or is waiting for) a Permanent Resident Card." is merely clarification. They always issue a permanent resident card to anyone who has been granted permanent resident status, but it may take some time after the status is granted for the card to arrive. Someone who has been granted LPR status but is still waiting for the card is nevertheless a LPR.

The easier way to clarify this is, if you have a green card, it has a "resident since" date printed on it. THAT is the date to use when calculating how much time you have had LPR status. It's not the date you filed, not the date the card arrived in the mail, but the date permanent resident status was granted.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

They don't. They define a permanent resident as "a person who has been granted permanent resident status in the United States". The phrase "and has (or is waiting for) a Permanent Resident Card." is merely clarification. They always issue a permanent resident card to anyone who has been granted permanent resident status, but it may take some time after the status is granted for the card to arrive. Someone who has been granted LPR status but is still waiting for the card is nevertheless a LPR.

The easier way to clarify this is, if you have a green card, it has a "resident since" date printed on it. THAT is the date to use when calculating how much time you have had LPR status. It's not the date you filed, not the date the card arrived in the mail, but the date permanent resident status was granted.

LOL, that is what my understanding was and the date we went by for filing the N-400, the date her card was first issued smack on the card. But questioned why the USCIS was defining a permanent resident that way in the M-476 handbook. Ha, the more you read about the USCIS, the more you get confused.

Would be fun to copy that page and use the date of the first I-797C just to learn what they would say on an N-400 application, if I could only turn the clock back a year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.