Taichidi

OHGOD. Now I'm nervous.

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So I can't find the Edit button on my original post. Fine, that's okay, cause this isn't really related to my other question on this forum.

I was looking through old posts and threads and stuff, just gaining some insight and bookmarking things to show Martin, when I came across this one thread (linkie) asking about the USC recieving benefits from the government. Note if you will that the third post declares the requirement of the Sponsor to repay any benefits given by the overseas governent to the alien fiancee.

...Martin's on Unemployment. Has been for a while because of Borderline Personality Disorder, and they won't let him work (which I think is dumb. You'd think being able to support yourself and take care of your own financial needs would be a source of pride and happiness. >_<) ...So I'm scared. Any similar experiences? Opinions? Facts? Ideas of phrases to Google in order to find my own info? Pats on back would be nice (just be careful, it's tender -wince-).

Edited by Taichidi

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

You only get about 5 mins after posting your post to EDIT it - so if you miss the time window - you have just add a reply to your thread (sometimes it will add itself in to the original and sometimes not)

As for the benefits thing - the rules are that as an immigrant you are prohibited from getting govt benefits like welfare - I think for 3 years - not sure on that though.

If your SO, the USC, doesnt make enough to 'sponsor' you (it must be 125% over the poverty level for K1) you have to get a co-sponsor (can be anyone who is a USC or perm resident).

Your SO, the USC, does not have to pay back HIS OWN benefits - he is a USC and entitled to them.

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Nonono, my dear. You misunderstood me, and for that, I'm sorry for not clarifying.

I am the USC and recieving no benefits currently.

He is the overseas SO, and recieving unemployment benefits as he is restricted from working because of a mental health disorder (BPD) diagnosis. Personally..I think he should get retested, because the diagnosis seems #######. But eh. -shrug- He doesn't like shrinks. I know he'll do it if it turns out he HAS to for immigration purposes, but as of yet, that's not my point.

Would I, as his USC sponsor, be required to repay his government for the time he spent on Unemployment? (would be SSI income if he were in the USoA...I don't know how the Netherlands labels different types of assistance).

Ooooh, yea, as far as the editing thing. I'll remember that. Thanks! :thumbs:

Edited by Taichidi

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

oh noooooooooo. It's just saying that he's not entitled to receive those type of benefits from the UNITED STATES governement..he's perfectly entitled to receive what he likes/is able to/is necessary from his own! No worries as long as you can prove that 125 percent of poverty on your end either by you, or by you and a cosponsor. :) :) :) M.

PS..the only thing I would wonder about at ALL(and try not to worry..you will get other responses :yes: ) is his diagnosis as far as the medical goes..as far as any mental illness type of diagnosis..I dont' know how that's treated/looked as as opposed to a serious physical illness. If it would impair his working here(and it likely would if it does there!) I would think that issue would be resolved anyway as long as you could prove you could support him(with the affidavit of support(s) ) but I don't know how the would look at it as far as the medical goes. Anyone answer that for her(and me!) Thx. M. (and PS..I'm sorry to semihijack there..I know that wasn't your original question at all..just curious myself now.) All the best to you! :)

Edited by MichelleandCraig

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

heh no he - or you - doesnt have to repay the benefits to which he is legally entitled in his own country - he's just prohibited from getting any in the US

Edit for bad spelling :blush:

Edited by Jaylen Brit

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

OH MY DEAR GODS. I love you guys. :D:D:D

That is SUCH a relief. :3 I've a co-sponsor in mind, I've already asked my (step)father if he'd consider...he said so long as we got our ducks in a row and knew what we needed to do and how to do it, he would help me bring Martin to the States. Otherwise...:/ I'm in a moderately-sized city who's decent employment opportunities are gone as soon as they appear. I can pull off enough to keep my head above water, but with my own debts.. >_> Eep. Anyway. Done with the ramble now.

MichelleandCraig: There's no such thing as hijacking in my threads. :3 ILU and thanks for responding (and giving me reason to melt with relief!).

As for his diagnosis and it's effect on his immigration. We'll see how big of an impact it can potentially have on our Visa process (which hasn't even begun yet) when he visits the Embassy in Holland to find out whether or not it will hinder him from using the VWP to come here for a two-week stay. If it does, I'll be poking him about re-testing...The man doesn't stop smiling anymore...He takes our hurdles and trials smoothly, telling ME to relax all the time. -stops ramble before it can start-

But yea...I second Michelle's motion. I'd love to hear (read?) insight on that as well. :3

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline
;):) You're more than welcome..it's so nice to be able to help someone with GOOD news!!! I'll be following along here to see if anyone has responses to the other part of the question, just for the sake of acquiring bit of knowledge! All the best! :) M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

As for his diagnosis and it's effect on his immigration. We'll see how big of an impact it can potentially have on our Visa process (which hasn't even begun yet) when he visits the Embassy in Holland to find out whether or not it will hinder him from using the VWP to come here for a two-week stay.

if he wants to come and visit you for 2 weeks, there is no need to visit the consulate in amsterdam... the VWP is just that, a waiver... he just needs a passport and a plane ticket and to be able to prove that he is not going to try to stay in the country... my hubby came over for 90 days before we filed our I129F without a visit to the consulate... he just had to answer questions at the point of entry to assure the officers that he would not overstay

if you have already filed your I129F, then it could be tricky... the officer could feel that he is trying to get around the K1 and refuse entry

lots of ppl want to take a holiday to the US... since its only for 2 weeks, the best bet for him to visit is probably to simply book his ticket, have his passport ready and tell the officers that he is on holiday... end of story... :)

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

-gasps- OMG, for REAL???

We've filed nothing, we won't start the process until we've met, when he visits in a couple months...

But...Okay, so he doesn't have to visit the embassy? Even with his diagnosis?? -gulp- Wow. WOW.

he just had to answer questions at the point of entry to assure the officers that he would not overstay

Can I ask what they asked him? What forms he had with him, etc? I'm sorry, it's not every day I see another Dutch guy and American girl getting together. :3

Martin asks if his renter's contract would be sufficient evidence of his ties to the Netherlands?

._. Again, sorry for the assault of questions. -sheepish grin-

Edited by Taichidi

-gasps- OMG, for REAL???

We've filed nothing, we won't start the process until we've met, when he visits in a couple months...

But...Okay, so he doesn't have to visit the embassy? Even with his diagnosis?? -gulp- Wow. WOW.

he just had to answer questions at the point of entry to assure the officers that he would not overstay

Can I ask what they asked him? What forms he had with him, etc? I'm sorry, it's not every day I see another Dutch guy and American girl getting together. :3

Martin asks if his renter's contract would be sufficient evidence of his ties to the Netherlands?

._. Again, sorry for the assault of questions. -sheepish grin-

Some words of advice from keltic's 'hubby'. :D

Hon, don't sweat it. I was on unemployment before I got my Visa! (Martin: vergeet niet om bij de uitkeringsinstantie je vakantie op te geven!)

For the first visit, all Martin needs is his passport and a planeticket with a return date on it.

If he's on any prescription medication, keep it in the handluggage . He might need a note from his doc.

On the plane they'll give you a form to fill out which is kinda hilarious. (do you carry nuclear stuff, weapons, are you or have you ever been a terrorist etc..)

At the Point of entry they'll do an eye scan and a fingerprint one. The customs officer might ask for the purpose of his visit( My advice is to say either 'holidays' or 'visiting friends' , not 'getting married' ), where he'll be staying and how long he's planning to stay. That's all.

Don't worry about any Visa and Embassy related stuff untill you both are ready for the big one.

Edited by Tobester
children1va5ge5.jpg

-bounces like mad- Thank you sooo soo much. Ehm. I'll pass on that note (no clue what it said, but I'm sure he'll be making me pronounce every word as soon as he gets online) soon as he comes on. :D Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.