nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hey everybody, hope you are well!! I wanted to know some information. Somebody told me that muslims do not have pictures of their children on the walls in their home and are not allowed to have angels (like figureines) in the home. Is this correct and if so is there anywhere that I can read this information? I have tried to find it but maybe I am not looking in the correct place.

Tasha...I'm sending you a link via PM....it references some hadiths...:)

Afwan is Thank you

I know shukran is thank you. I'm looking for you're welcome. :)

Shukran: Thank you

Afwan: You're welcome

Hey everybody, hope you are well!! I wanted to know some information. Somebody told me that muslims do not have pictures of their children on the walls in their home and are not allowed to have angels (like figureines) in the home. Is this correct and if so is there anywhere that I can read this information? I have tried to find it but maybe I am not looking in the correct place.

Extremely religious Muslims do not have photos at all in their homes....demons live in them they claim. Any statues are forbidden in your home...because people back in the days would worship statues...hope that makes sense.

"Angels do not enter a house which has either a dog or a picture in it." (Bukhari).

I'm sure you will get many different answers to this question, so this is mine :P

At the root of this question is the prohibition of creating images that promote or give the impression of idoltry. The one hadith that you refer to is: "Angels do not enter houses where there are images" but there are others such as "Whoever makes an image in this world will be asked by Allah to breathe a soul into it on the Day of Judgment".

Different schools of jurisprudence (and within these schools different scholars) have made rulings on modern uses of images - such as photography. Some will say all images are forbidden. Some will say the images can be in the house in a drawer or photo album. etc...

here is one comment from islamonline.net to the question about family photos that are framed/hung on the wall:

First of all, we would like to stress that there is nothing wrong, as far as Islam is concerned, in keeping those framed pictures as well as other family photos you tend to keep for memories or as souvenirs.

In his response to the question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a Senior Lecturer and Islamic Scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states the following:

"There is nothing wrong for you to keep those pictures in a frame on a bedroom dresser. Photographic pictures are not considered quite haram or forbidden as is the case with carving of images, which has been forbidden in the Prophetic Sunnah. Pictures are taken by trapping the shadows of a thing, and hence, it is not mimicking Allah’s creation.

Also if a person is simply keeping them for memory or as a souvenir it is not at all prohibited to do so. However, to display pictures of heroes or leaders or scholars on the walls may fall into category of undesirable or forbidden category, for it may breed reverence, which is a slippery road leading to hero-worship, which is forbidden in Islam."

IMO, some of the more strict rulings seem to forget the intent of the Quran on this issue and create some impractical contadictions. For example, what about passport photos? A strict narrow interpretation of the hadith about angels would make this image (often tucked away in a drawer) haram, right? Often the strict scholars will then make a loophole in their ruling saying that a passport is necessary so it is an exception.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Here is a more specifc answer to hanging pics on the wall rater than framed pics on a dresser. also from Islamonline.net

There is nothing to prohibit hanging family pictures on the wall as long as this is far from the possibility of breeding reverence and glorification and the content of the picture itself does not reveal any `awrahs or indecency.

In his response to the question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“It is not considered haram (forbidden) to hang family pictures on the wall; however, I should urge you against hanging them on the wall directly facing you in Prayer. For by hanging them in the direction of Prayer, your thoughts will likely be distracted; furthermore, it may inadvertently give the impression that we worship pictures. It is important for us Muslims to make ourselves distinct in our religious practices from those who associate partners with Allah in their worship. So never hang such pictures in the direction of your Prayer.

Still another point to consider: Never hang pictures of leaders and heroes, past or present, on your walls, for it may inadvertently lead to feelings of extreme reverence and hero worship, and this in turn may become an avenue leading to shirk. Such things are considered as avenues leading to that which is haram, and hence considered as forbidden. It is worth remembering that this was the main rationale for prohibiting carving images and statues in the first place.

Since, however, such motives are entirely lacking in hanging family pictures, there is no reason to consider it as haram.”

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Before my husband got here he told me we'd have to take down all pictures that I have on my fireplace mantel. Well he's been here almost four months now and I haven't taken anything down AND have dragged him to an art museum so I think in his mind he's changed or something. I don't follow that rule at all though and it'd be a very hard thing for me to give up since I love photography.

To me the bigger dilemma is pictures of ME that other people have without hijab. I"ve only been wearing hijab now for a year so, like, when I go to my parents or my sisters' houses they all have past photos of me without hijab. I haven't broached the subject with my sister and won't at all with my parents since they're very much set in their ways and well...old. lol. Just food for thought though.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Still another point to consider: Never hang pictures of leaders and heroes, past or present, on your walls, for it may inadvertently lead to feelings of extreme reverence and hero worship, and this in turn may become an avenue leading to shirk. Such things are considered as avenues leading to that which is haram, and hence considered as forbidden. It is worth remembering that this was the main rationale for prohibiting carving images and statues in the first place.

Since, however, such motives are entirely lacking in hanging family pictures, there is no reason to consider it as haram."

I remember seeing photos of the King of Morocco all over the place when I was there. Also, I had never heard anything related to pictures from Wadi and his family had photos in the house. What is standard opinion in Morocco?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

thanks i to wondered why no pictures on the walls, ahmed has beautiful neice and in her own home the walls are very bare, as my house has all kinda of pictures nick nacks i did notice theirs had none, i take that back i do remember seeing one of his dad on the wall and at the sisters there is one of the dad on a end table

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

thanks i to wondered why no pictures on the walls, ahmed has beautiful neice and in her own home the walls are very bare, as my house has all kinda of pictures nick nacks i did notice theirs had none, i take that back i do remember seeing one of his dad on the wall and at the sisters there is one of the dad on a end table

Is the father alive?

Since, however, such motives are entirely lacking in hanging family pictures, there is no reason to consider it as haram."

I remember seeing photos of the King of Morocco all over the place when I was there. Also, I had never heard anything related to pictures from Wadi and his family had photos in the house. What is standard opinion in Morocco?

There are kings all over the place in the middle east...LOL...plus look at Saddam...Statues, Pictures...Syria, Jordan, etc..

Timeline

Is the father alive?

There are kings all over the place in the middle east...LOL...plus look at Saddam...Statues, Pictures...Syria, Jordan, etc..

Yeah, so now I'm confused! But what else is new?

Is the father alive?

Yeah, so now I'm confused! But what else is new?

I'm the same way...I was thinking what about TV or DVDs? All have photos of people as well....hmmm....

Well IMO the king wants to be venerated - God, country and king and the whole kiss his hand thing. But I guess that's a dfferent topic all together :huh:

Most of Morocco tends to interpret Islam through the Maliki school of jurisprudence. Maliki tends to draw a difference between 2-D images and 3-D images makign photos, drawing, painting etc much less an issue than otehr schools of law.

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

yes his dad is still alive and they have sent me 5x7 of the neice so its not like they dont get pictures made they just werent displayed like i do

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Timeline

Well IMO the king wants to be venerated - God, country and king and the whole kiss his hand thing. But I guess that's a dfferent topic all together :huh:

Most of Morocco tends to interpret Islam through the Maliki school of jurisprudence. Maliki tends to draw a difference between 2-D images and 3-D images makign photos, drawing, painting etc much less an issue than otehr schools of law.

That's interesting. So which schools do other areas of MENA follow?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.