Clare Bear

Importing a Canadian Car

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello All,

I have read through all the discussion topics relating to importing a car but yet I'm still a little confused on what I could be doing.

When I crossed the border at Blaine Washington I stated that I would like to import my vehicle that I had my letter of compliance but border agent was of no help and told me that I could not do it there that I had up to a year to do so and would need to import my vehicle at my new residence with is in Boston, MA.

From what I've read this leaves me to having to go to a CBP office most likely because of the convenience means that I will need to go to Logan Airport, and therefore I hope not to receive similar abuse or be as reluctant as others.

I have a 2004 Honda Civic and have received my letter of compliance it states that my vehicle complies with EPA emission standards applicable for this year and model vehicle, at time of manufacture; however, it does not have U.S. EPA emissions labels. Will I need more documentation for importing qualifications or will the letter be suffice? The other question I have is with regards to the instrument panel? Do I need to convert my instrument panel to Miles per Hour even though the panel has smaller conversion displaying the Miles per Hour?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Clare

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Clare,

You might want to check out this thread and contact Lynamon (2nd poster), they seemed to have imported a 2004 Honda Civic. Sorry not much more help than that.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81449

I'm planning on doing the same, however I need to get around to getting a letter of compliance from Ford.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No you don't need to convert your instrument panel, at least I didn't have to. I had no compliance letter(have a ford) and went to my local CBP and no problem was done in like 15 minutes with the paperwork.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We also went through Blaine (K1 Visa) in my wife's (fiance at the time) Canadian car, we had the letter and had no problem. We did not have to convert the panel.

Sent 129F to Nebraska on Feb. 1

Received Feb. 4

NOA1 received Feb. 11

NOA2 online April 19th. (Day 74)

NOA2 received snail mail April 25th. (Day 80)

Letter from <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> arrived on May 9th.

Packet 3 sent in July 22nd.

Packet 4 received July 29th.

Interview scheduled for Sept. 14th.

VISA approved Sept. 14th!!

Belinda enters the U.S. on Oct. 16th, with me, in Blaine, WA

Marraige on November 18

AOS, <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->, and AP sent November 18

NOA1 for AOS, AP, but <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> returned, we forgot line 16 (December 2)

<!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> re-sent December 5th.

I-751 sent to Nebraska, March 25, 2008

The MPH/KMH is a non issue. As long as you have something that says mph in the US or something that says kmh in Canada, you're good to go.

I find it odd that you had trouble at the Blaine crossing. This is The Peach Arch you're talking about? I crossed there with my car. Didn't bring a manufacturer letter. My car is an American car and has the EPA sticker under the hood. But they didn't check anything on the car other than the VIN number and my insurance paper (to prove ownership)

Sticker or not, I have a hard time believing that a Honda Civic could possibly not pass emissions.

Filed: Timeline

What a moron. :rolleyes: (The CBP officer, that is.)

The only thing you need to keep an eye on is making sure they have KM's noted on the registration document you sign off on. Here's a couple more helpful threads:

Importing a Car

Why Making Sure Km's Are Noted in the Registration is Important <------ And a little addendum to this..... I STILL don't have a registration with the proper mileage on it. :angry:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I can only say what our experience was importing our Ford a few weeks ago. They never even asked or checked for stickers - the guy just wanted to see the letter of compliance from Ford.

Our vehicle does switch from km to mph - however it was never mentioned at the border - and it is an older car.

All that said, it would seem that different ports of entry apply different procedures for importing, good luck :thumbs:

I imported my honda in January.they never even asked about the car!(kinda wierd but I wasn't going to complain) Once I was in South carolina..I went to the DMV and they registered me there and all has been fine..I even got to keep my Ontario plates..lol(I'm a bit nastalgic over those plates!)

Shawna

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.