Victoria.Blake

SO Birth Certificate (Indonesia)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My fiance was born (as were his parents & grandparents) in Indonesia and has lived there all of his life. However, because he is "Chinese-Indonesian" (meaning his great-grandparents came from China and he doesn't have any "native" Indonesian blood), the Indonesian government did not grant him Indonesian citizenship at birth. But he didn't have Chinese citizenship, either. The Indonesian government only granted him citizenship when he turned 18. So basically for 18 years he was a citizen of nowhere...weird, right?

I knew about this problem, but I didn't think it would be an issue when we sent in our I-129F. Now that we are getting all the documents ready for his interview, however, I'm having doubts because I just now saw his birth certificate. It's 2-sided: on one side his birth certificate states that he is a "foreigner" and on the other side (added after his 18th birthday) it states that he is "Indonesian."

So now I'm kind of freaking out about his upcoming interview (in a few weeks). Do you think this is going to be a problem for any reason at the US Embassy in Jakarta? Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
My fiance was born (as were his parents & grandparents) in Indonesia and has lived there all of his life. However, because he is "Chinese-Indonesian" (meaning his great-grandparents came from China and he doesn't have any "native" Indonesian blood), the Indonesian government did not grant him Indonesian citizenship at birth. But he didn't have Chinese citizenship, either. The Indonesian government only granted him citizenship when he turned 18. So basically for 18 years he was a citizen of nowhere...weird, right?

I knew about this problem, but I didn't think it would be an issue when we sent in our I-129F. Now that we are getting all the documents ready for his interview, however, I'm having doubts because I just now saw his birth certificate. It's 2-sided: on one side his birth certificate states that he is a "foreigner" and on the other side (added after his 18th birthday) it states that he is "Indonesian."

So now I'm kind of freaking out about his upcoming interview (in a few weeks). Do you think this is going to be a problem for any reason at the US Embassy in Jakarta? Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks in advance!

I suspect the Consular officers in Jakarta are familiar with this situation. A birth certificate, in this instance is not about citizenship. It's about confirming when and where one was born. The passport indicates current citizenship.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks in advance!

Timeline

Hello, Selamat Melam to you both. Congratulations on your success thus far, our prayers are with you. My fiancee, Indra and I are patiently awaiting our NOA2; I received the NOA1 Feb. 5th so it's nice to see another Indonesian K-1 applicant's timeline for real. Did you have to have his birth certificate translated and legalized(notarized)?

We have discussed our next steps once we get our NOA2, but it's still unclear to me if she needs her birth certificate translated for the K-1 interview, and if she will need this for the AOS in Minnesota.....

God bless you both, terimakasih for any help that you may offer us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.