texasbantam

Filed I-130 at London US Embassy

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I'm a new registered user (today).. but have been lurking for a while! I'll fill in a timeline later on today.

I'm a UK resident, my wife is originally from Texas (she's on a 2-year spousal visa, due to expire in November), and we're both in the UK.

We filed my I-130 April 28th with the US Embassy in London, and they took the credit card payment within a week.. now my questions are - is this normal for them to take the payment out so quickly? And am I correct in assuming that because they've taken the payment, the I-130 has been approved, and should now wait for the DS-230??

My wife is desperate to get back home, so if I could give her an answer it'd make my life a lot quieter (for now anyway :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Hi there! Welcome to VJ, and the wonderful world of London DCF. I myself am a "graduate" from last year.

It is totally normal for them to take your credit card payment within a few days. However, unfortunately, this does not mean you are on to Packet 3 stage, when you fill in the DS-230. (Would that it were!) It just means they have put your file in the queue for processing. The next step is having your petition approved; this usually takes 2-3 months, depending on the time of year. You can check what date they're up to processing-wise here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html Look in the sidebar on the right under "Processing Times". As of today, they're processing petitions from March 3rd. Your filing date is the date your card was charged. When your date comes up, you should be hearing within a week or so if you've been approved. Then you can start worrying about the DS-230, the I-864 and all the other lovely forms you've been hearing about.

Most of us London DCFers in the past year completed this process in 4-5 months, the only exceptions being where people delayed on purpose. If your card was charged in late April/early May, expect to be called for interview in late August/early September. The only other thing you could do right now to help get organised is make sure your wife filed her taxes during the years she has lived in the UK. You will need them.

Good luck! Hope this gives your wife an idea of what to expect time-wise.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

Thank you very much! I knew there were some friendly people on here, but really didn't expect an answer so quickly!

I'll tell my wife the news - it's pretty much what I was expecting - I've spent the last 6 months reading up on it all! Its a lot more time consuming than my wifes UK visa was - 2 forms and a fee was all she had to do.

I'll keep updating anyway, and I'll post any news as and when i receive - i know how helpful this forum has been to me, so I can only repay the favour.

See y'all soon!

Yes, its a pain but it is still neccessary. There is a link on the US Embassy home page for the IRS in London.

http://london.usembassy.gov/irs/index.htm

She more than likely will be able to exclude all of her income here, and even if she didn't file, she can still do it now and probably not be penalised.

Edited by Glyn and Kathy

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Yep -- she has to file. I didn't know about this -- hadn't filed since 1995 -- and had to do 3 years of back taxes. It was a pain but not difficult. The exemption is for up to $82,500 per annum (I seem to recall) so unless she made over that in each of those two years she won't need to pay taxes at all. I'm not totally certain, but I think that that figure is net as well, which makes the hurdle even higher before you have to pay. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

Call the guys at the IRS office in London for further advice and forms -- they are lovely and very, very helpful. She'll need 1040 tax forms and the 2555-EZ for excluding foreign income. If you're in London, she can also pop by the Embassy and go in to see the tax guys. No appointment needed, but she will need to bring her US passport; they do walk-ins Tues-Thurs.

Timeline

Thanks again to both of you for replying..

My wife's now printed out the tax forms (or what looks like a small book to me!).. She says its pretty straight forward.

I presume this is for the I-864 affidavit of support? I'm gonna have a whole bunch of questions abot that, when the time comes...

Thanks again!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Maven - I'm surprised at you. You did not mention my most excellent wiki entry.

Texasbantam - I am sorry at the substandard posting that's been going on in your thread.

Here is a guide, penned by my very good self, to the DCF process in London. I hope you find it informative.

many thanks,

Poiteen :star:

The UK Wiki

Maven - I'm surprised at you. You did not mention my most excellent wiki entry.

Texasbantam - I am sorry at the substandard posting that's been going on in your thread.

Here is a guide, penned by my very good self, to the DCF process in London. I hope you find it informative.

many thanks,

Poiteen :star:

Yes, I suck, but can I plead work-induced forgetfulness?

Now I will slink off and perform self-flagellation in penance.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hello everyone!

I'm a new registered user (today).. but have been lurking for a while! I'll fill in a timeline later on today.

I'm a UK resident, my wife is originally from Texas (she's on a 2-year spousal visa, due to expire in November), and we're both in the UK.

We filed my I-130 April 28th with the US Embassy in London, and they took the credit card payment within a week.. now my questions are - is this normal for them to take the payment out so quickly? And am I correct in assuming that because they've taken the payment, the I-130 has been approved, and should now wait for the DS-230??

My wife is desperate to get back home, so if I could give her an answer it'd make my life a lot quieter (for now anyway :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hello everyone!

hi I have no answer!!! Just wanted to say hi. I also was in England married but returned to file from Ohio. I sympathize with your wife. lol At least you two are together.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.