abrazer07

B1 to F1 ..what to do ??

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi ,

I am in USA now in B1/B2 visa to attend few fairs and conferences and lay foundation for my future art in the books of my client. Now after coming here I came across a Bachelors degree in a nearby university .They were advertising.I am quite interested to attend their bachelors course for my further study.Thus as i learned through googling that I have to change from B1 to F1. Now I need your help to know what are the difficulties :

a) My answer at POE was only to attend conferences & thus there was no preintention.

B) My I-94 is dated till early July but I have a 1 yr multientry visa.

c) What is to be done to change ??

d) How much time wd it take and whats the cost ??

Can someone help me ?? All advices wd be appreciated

Edited by abrazer07

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi ,

I am in USA now in B1/B2 visa to attend few fairs and conferences and lay foundation for my future art in the books of my client. Now after coming here I came across a Bachelors degree in a nearby university .They were advertising.I am quite interested to attend their bachelors course for my further study.Thus as i learned through googling that I have to change from B1 to F1. Now I need your help to know what are the difficulties :

a) My answer at POE was only to attend conferences & thus there was no preintention.

B) My I-94 is dated till early July but I have a 1 yr multientry visa.

c) What is to be done to change ??

d) How much time wd it take and whats the cost ??

Can someone help me ?? All advices wd be appreciated

I would talk to the international office people at the university you are thinking of applying to....im not sure but I think you may need to leave the country and apply for the F-1 at a US consulate...that is after you are accepted by the university and have their papers in hand...

Timeline:

12/15/2007: Wedding

02/11/2008: AOS/EAD/AP/I-130 package sent

02/12/2008: Package received by USCIS

03/21/2008: Received package back (38 days), rejected due to missing signature on I-130 (darn it!!)

03/21/2008: Sent the package back to USCIS

03/23/2008: Package received and signed for by J Morones

03/27/2008: NOA dates

03/28/2008: Checks cleared!

03/29/2008: Received all 4 NOAs in the mail

03/31/2008: All 4 cases are online

04/02/2008: Biometrics letter (appointment for April 15th, 9am)

04/12/2008: Biometrics completed

06/12/2008: AP and EAD approved!

01/30/2009: Green card approved

02/26/2014: N-400 received by USCIS

03/20/2014: Biometrics appointment

06/10/2014: Initial Interview scheduled (request for re-schedule submitted due to pre-planned international travel)

06/13/2014: New interview letter issued for: 07/21/2014

07/21/2014: Interview completed: recommended for approval

07/24/2014: Received e-mail notification, case status: oath ceremony

07/28/2014: Received notice in the mail scheduling Oath Ceremony for 08/05

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
any advice ..... someone pls advice ...

My friend if the requisites mention you have to have an F-1, you have an F-1. There is no way you can get an F-1 while being in the US. No wavers, no special permits, no anything. I was an F-1 student and the process is long and costly and has to be done through the consulate or embassy in your home country.

I'm sorry but if you want to take those courses, you have to go back and apply for a student visa. Your B1/B2 tourist/visitor's visa is just that...a tourist and visitor's visa.

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
any advice ..... someone pls advice ...

My friend if the requisites mention you have to have an F-1, you have an F-1. There is no way you can get an F-1 while being in the US. No wavers, no special permits, no anything. I was an F-1 student and the process is long and costly and has to be done through the consulate or embassy in your home country.

I'm sorry but if you want to take those courses, you have to go back and apply for a student visa. Your B1/B2 tourist/visitor's visa is just that...a tourist and visitor's visa.

I know this is old, but...

You can change your status from B-1 to F-1 if your I-94 is endorsed as "Prospective Student." From there, you file and pay whatever the going rate is at that time for the form, and you can be changed to F-1. You must contact and be accepted by the school prior to doing any of this as they must issue a form I-20.

Our AOS Timeline

06/16/07 -- Our Wedding

06/26/07 -- AOS sent by attorney

07/02/07 -- Receipt of Documents by USCIS

08/01/07 -- Biometrics Completed

08/05/07 -- "Touched"

09/07/07 -- EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/08 -- AOS Interview - APPROVED!! [Verbally]

02/06/08 -- Welcome EMail Received

02/11/08 -- Card Production Ordered

02/19/08 -- Card Received!

Our ROC Timeline

11/05/09 -- Initial meeting with attorney to file Removal of Conditions

11/11/09 -- ROC sent by attorney

01/05/10 -- Biometrics Completed

02/16/10 -- Approval

Citizenship

06/13/11 -- N-400 sent by attorney.

06/24/11 -- NOA

07/15/11 -- Biometrics Completed

08/25/11 -- Interview APPROVED

08/31/11 -- Oath Taken! Now a US Citizen!

Passport

09/06/11 -- Passport Application submitted.

09/21/11 -- Passport Book Received!

09/23/11 -- Passport Card and Certificate of Naturalization received.

09/25/11 -- Life after USCIS begins.

av-37579.gif

Be me a little...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.