loz9

Help with filing in Australia

261 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!

A little background..I'm a US citizen living with my (Australian) husband in Australia. We are planning to move back to the U.S. this August (I realize we may have to be separated for a while). I've been trying to find out how to file the I-130 and supporting documents in Melbourne, but have been having trouble.

First, Sydney's consulate e-mailed me back after I asked how to file and told me that I could just show up on a set day with all necessary documents. So I do that and it was wrong (I think the Sydney consulate thought I was filing in Sydney). You need an appointment to file in Melbourne, but no one at the Melbourne consulate would tell me how to make an appointment. They told me to go online, which I did, but Visa Point is for non-immigrant visas only, right? I couldn't find where to schedule for immigrant visas.

So I guess my question is how do you get the whole process started in terms of filing the petition?? Do I have to call someone to file directly in Melbourne? I tried e-mailing the Melbourne consulate, but they haven't responded and it's been well over a week. I just don't what I'm doing and am really anxious to get the process underway. I really don't want to be separated from my husband for any longer than necessary.

Sorry this is long..I'm just frustrated and need a bit of guidance on this whole process.

Thanks!

April 23 2008 - Go, and fail, to file I-130. Told wrong info by Sydney consulate on filing. Must have appointment.

May 21 2008 - Lodged I-130 at Melbourne consulate. Told we are approved and to wait for e-mail from Sydney Consulate on next steps.

July 2 2008 - Packet 3 received from Sydney Consulate by e-mail!!!!!

July 4 2008 - Sent DS-230 parts I and II via express post to Sydney consulate.

July 8 2008 - Sent police check via express post.

July 9 2008 - Medical appointment.

July 23 2008 - Received police check (we were away on vacation so didn't see it til then). It was issued 11 July.

July 30 2008 - FINALLY got medical results back.

July 30 2008 - Sent off Packet 3 via expess post.

August 3 2008 - I (USC) moved back to the US.

August 31 2008 - Receive letter saying we missed our appointment?!? They said they sent original on Aug 6. the appointment was supposed to be on Aug 19.

September 1 2008 - Send request for new appointment via express post

September 2 2008 - Receive new appointment time

September 30 2008 - Final interview appointment - APPROVED!

October 2 2008 - Visa and POE pack received!

October 14 2008 - POE at LAX

October 15 2008 - Back together!

October 24 2008 - Social security card arrived

October 27 2008 - Welcome letter and green card received!

My heart is in Australia.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/file.html

Please e-mail MelbourneACS@state.gov to schedule an appointment to lodge your petition.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

We were also told to file in Sydney but then Sydney said that was incorrect. When we tried the Consular filing in Melbourne we were told they no longer did them. This was back in May of last year after my husband and I got married in Melbourne. We unfortunately got a lot of run around and no real help I'm sorry to say.

I don't know if you can just go down and wait in line and see if you can speak to someone with a clue to help you out. Cause getting any information over the phone is like pulling hens teeth.

I don't envy the frustration you're going to experience and there is always a time factor involved. In fact we got so frustrated with it all that after I returned to California, we investigated visas for us to live in Australia and we were going to go that route. A visa for a US citizen spouse to move to Australia would have taken at most about a month to receive. That would have been for me and the kids and one filing fee of $1325. So we filed for a B-2 visa, and he did get it, because the intent was for him to come here and help move me and my kids out there, but then my eldest got herself into some legal trouble. So... plans changed and were having to stay here. So now we are waiting for the I-130 and I-485 to finished being processed.

Sorry to ramble....but I was so mad at the Consulate I could have spit nails.

I-130

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate : Sydney, Australia

Marriage : 2007-05-15

I-130 Sent : 2008-04-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-05-05

US Entry : 2007-11-13

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Port of Entry : Los Angeles

POE Date : 2007-11-13

Adjustment of Status:

CIS Office : Chula Vista CA

Date Filed : 2008-04-28

NOA Date : 2008-05-05

Bio. Appt. : 2008-05-22

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Employment Authorization Document:

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

2008-07-03 EAD Card Production Ordered

Touched 7/4/08

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/file.html

Please e-mail MelbourneACS@state.gov to schedule an appointment to lodge your petition.

Thanks..I've tried that and have had no response. I sent a follow up e-mail yesterday, so maybe that will help get an answer?

April 23 2008 - Go, and fail, to file I-130. Told wrong info by Sydney consulate on filing. Must have appointment.

May 21 2008 - Lodged I-130 at Melbourne consulate. Told we are approved and to wait for e-mail from Sydney Consulate on next steps.

July 23 2008 - Received police check (we were away on vacation so didn't see it til then). It was issued 11 July.

August 31 2008 - Receive letter saying we missed our appointment?!? They said they sent original on Aug 6. the appointment was supposed to be on Aug 19.

We were also told to file in Sydney but then Sydney said that was incorrect. When we tried the Consular filing in Melbourne we were told they no longer did them. This was back in May of last year after my husband and I got married in Melbourne. We unfortunately got a lot of run around and no real help I'm sorry to say.

I don't know if you can just go down and wait in line and see if you can speak to someone with a clue to help you out. Cause getting any information over the phone is like pulling hens teeth.

I don't envy the frustration you're going to experience and there is always a time factor involved. In fact we got so frustrated with it all that after I returned to California, we investigated visas for us to live in Australia and we were going to go that route. A visa for a US citizen spouse to move to Australia would have taken at most about a month to receive. That would have been for me and the kids and one filing fee of $1325. So we filed for a B-2 visa, and he did get it, because the intent was for him to come here and help move me and my kids out there, but then my eldest got herself into some legal trouble. So... plans changed and were having to stay here. So now we are waiting for the I-130 and I-485 to finished being processed.

Sorry to ramble....but I was so mad at the Consulate I could have spit nails.

I definitely know how you feel! No one will answer questions and the web says things that contradict eachother. Under Melbourne is says to go to Sydney and under Sydney it says you can now file directly at Melbourne, Canberra, etc. I called the helpline once and the advisor gave me information that I found out later was wrong??? :blink:

When I went to file my I-130 (after I was told the wrong information) no one at the Melbourne consulate would help me and I was standing right there, so I'm assuming that's out of the question. Hopefully someone will email me back and I can get this underway..

It's such a hassle. Anyways, I hope your husband's visa comes through alright. Thanks for sharing!

Timeline

Thanks for reading.

I was just talking to my husband about this post and we were reminiscing about our attempt at Direct Consular Filing. He reminded me that we were told that they no longer did DCF as of January 2007 and this was because of the Adam Walsh law.

I don't know if this still stands but that is what we were told in May 2007.

I-130

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Adjustment of Status:

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Touched 7/4/08

Hi Everyone!

A little background..I'm a US citizen living with my (Australian) husband in Australia. We are planning to move back to the U.S. this August (I realize we may have to be separated for a while). I've been trying to find out how to file the I-130 and supporting documents in Melbourne, but have been having trouble.

First, Sydney's consulate e-mailed me back after I asked how to file and told me that I could just show up on a set day with all necessary documents. So I do that and it was wrong (I think the Sydney consulate thought I was filing in Sydney). You need an appointment to file in Melbourne, but no one at the Melbourne consulate would tell me how to make an appointment. They told me to go online, which I did, but Visa Point is for non-immigrant visas only, right? I couldn't find where to schedule for immigrant visas.

So I guess my question is how do you get the whole process started in terms of filing the petition?? Do I have to call someone to file directly in Melbourne? I tried e-mailing the Melbourne consulate, but they haven't responded and it's been well over a week. I just don't what I'm doing and am really anxious to get the process underway. I really don't want to be separated from my husband for any longer than necessary.

Sorry this is long..I'm just frustrated and need a bit of guidance on this whole process.

Thanks!

Thanks for reading.

I was just talking to my husband about this post and we were reminiscing about our attempt at Direct Consular Filing. He reminded me that we were told that they no longer did DCF as of January 2007 and this was because of the Adam Walsh law.

I don't know if this still stands but that is what we were told in May 2007.

Well, Sydney e-mailed me back (still haven't heard from Melbourne!!). They gave me a couple useful documents about filing in Australia. I'll copy and paste it here. Hopefully this will help someone going through similar issues. **WARNING : LONG**

CONSULATE GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES

LEVEL 59 MLC CENTRE 19-29 MARTIN PLACE SYDNEY NSW 2000

http://sydney.usconsulate.gov/sydney

IMMIGRATING AS THE SPOUSE OF AN AMERICAN CITIZEN

Thank you for your recent inquiry about immigrating to the United States as the spouse of an American citizen. Please read the following instructions carefully. For your convenience, we have included the website addresses where the required instructions and forms may be downloaded from.

Immigration is a two-step process:

•First, the American citizen files a petition (Form I-130) to establish the relationship and the visa category. Forms I-130 and G-325A may be downloaded from the following website addresses: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-130.pdf or http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-325a.pdf All four pages of Form G-325A must be completed for each of the petitioner and the beneficiary.

•Second, the spouse of the American applies for a visa.

Step One: Filing the Petition

Please note:

•The U.S. citizen is the Petitioner & Sponsor

•The visa applicant is the Beneficiary

•The I-130 petition cannot be filed until after the marriage has taken place.

•Unlike filing petitions in the United States, the petition must be submitted in person, not by mail.

•The petitioner must have maintained a continuous residence in Australia and must be able to show that they have permission to reside in Australia and that they have been doing so for at least six months before filing the petition.

•If the petitioner is a member of the U.S. military stationed in Australia, a copy of his/her orders must accompany the I-130 petition.

To file the petition, the petitioner is required to submit supporting documents for him/herself as well as for his/her spouse and any children accompanying the visa applicant. Please refer to the attached “Checklist for Filing I-130 Petitions for Spouses, Children & Stepchildren.” The petitioner is also required to satisfy a Consular Officer that the relationship with the beneficiary is valid and exists for more than just the purpose of immigration.

New South Wales, ACT, Queensland

Petitioners residing in the New South Wales, ACT, and Queensland must personally file I-130 petitions at the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney. We accept petitions by appointment only between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon except U.S. and Australian holidays. The security guards must screen you before 11:45 a.m. Please e-mail the Consulate General in Sydney at SydneyPetitions@state.gov for an appointment to file your I-130 petition. This e-mail address is to be used only for requesting I-130 filing appointments. All other immigration inquiries should be addressed to sydneyiv@state.gov

The package of instructions known as “Packet 3,” used by a beneficiary to apply for his/her immigrant visa, will not be mailed until an I-130 petition is filed and approved at the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney.

Victoria, South Australia, Northern Territory, Tasmania

Petitioners residing in Victoria, South Australia, the Northern Territory, and Tasmania may personally file I-130 petitions at the U.S. Consulate General in Melbourne. Please e-mail the Consulate General in Melbourne at MelbourneNIV@state.gov for an appointment to file your I-130 petition.

Upon approval of the petition, it will be transferred to Sydney for further processing. Please note that the visa applicant’s final visa interview must take place in Sydney. The Consulate General in Melbourne does not conduct immigrant visa interviews.

The package of instructions known as “Packet 3,” used by a beneficiary to apply for his/her immigrant visa, will not be mailed until an I-130 petition is filed and approved at the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney.

Alternatively, you may personally lodge the I-130 petition at the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney. Please e-mail the Consulate General in Sydney at SydneyPetitions@state.gov for an appointment.

Western Australia

Petitioners residing in Western Australia may personally file I-130 petitions at the U.S. Consulate General in Perth, Monday to Thursday between 8:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.

Upon approval of the petition, it will be transferred to Sydney for further processing. Please note that the visa applicant’s final visa interview must take place in Sydney. The U.S. Consulate General in Perth does not conduct immigrant visa interviews.

Alternatively, you may personally file the I-130 petition at the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney. Please e-mail the Consulate General in Sydney at SydneyPetitions@state.gov for an appointment.

Adam Walsh Act Namecheck for Petitioner:

Upon receipt of the visa applicant’s I-130 petition, the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney will transmit information on the petitioner to the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. NVC will forward the petitioner’s information to the Vermont Service Center (VSC) to perform background checks, determining whether Adam Walsh Act ineligibility issues are present.

The results of the name check process will be returned to the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney by NVC. If the petitioner’s name check is clear, the petition will be approved and the immigrant visa process may begin. If the petitioner does not clear the process, the filed petition and supporting documents will be forwarded to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office in Bangkok, Thailand.

Receiving “Packet 3”:

When the petitioner has cleared the Adam Walsh Act process, the initial set of forms and instructions (“Packet 3”) will be mailed to the visa applicant to begin processing his/her visa application. On receipt, the applicant should complete and return forms DS-230 Parts I & II (“Application for Immigrant Visa Application & Registration”) as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney.

Please note we can only accept original forms, not faxed or scanned copies.

Step Two: The Visa Interview (for the visa applicant)

Scheduling the visa interview:

The “Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants – Overview” lists items that you are expected to have for the visa interview. When you have obtained all of the documents required for your case, complete and mail (do not fax or scan) Form DS-2001 to advise the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney that you have all items and are ready for your final visa interview. The first available appointment will be scheduled.

While we cannot guarantee the interview will match your proposed travel plans, we will try to schedule it as near as possible to your desired departure date.

Your interview will be scheduled only after the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney has in their files an approved I-130 petition, DS-230 Parts I & II, and your DS-2001 forms.

Processing immigrant visa applications takes time, and occasionally unexpected ineligibilities or omissions in documentation only become apparent at the interview stage.

Therefore, please do not make any irrevocable arrangements, such as purchasing non-refundable tickets, selling your home, or quitting your job until after your visa is actually approved and issued. You will have six (6) months from the date the visa is issued to travel to the United States.

Processing the visa:

The total application processing and security surcharge fee is US$355.00 or AUS$408.25 per person. This is paid at the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney just before the visa interview, in the form of cash, credit card, money order, or bank check made payable to the “U.S. Consulate.” This fee is non-refundable, whether or not the visa is issued. Personal and company checks cannot be accepted. Change can only be provided for transactions conducted in Australian currency.

You should also bring to your interview a pre-paid self-addressed 3kg Express Post envelope (plastic satchel) purchased from Australia Post. We will use this to mail your visa to you when it is issued, as we do not issue visas on the same day as the interview. If it is determined at your interview that you need to submit additional documents, you can mail them afterwards. An immigrant visa is valid for six months from the date of issuance.

The Consulate General in Sydney is the only office in Australia that processes U.S. immigrant visa applications and conducts immigrant visa interviews. The Consulates General in Melbourne and Perth can accept I-130 petitions for immigrant visas, but do not process immigrant visas or conduct immigrant visa interviews.

Information on these categories of visas is available by mail or e-mail (sydneyiv@state.gov), or from our web site at http://usembassy-australia.state.gov.

Enclosed (if receiving instructions by mail):

Petition, Form I-130, & instructions

CHECKLIST FOR FILING I-130 PETITIONS

FOR SPOUSES, CHILDREN & STEPCHILDREN

Documents to be presented for U.S. citizen petitioner:

1. Fee of US$355.00 or AUD$408.25 in cash, credit card, postal money order, or bank check made payable to the U.S. Consulate General, Sydney. Personal and company checks cannot be accepted. Change can only be provided for transactions conducted in Australian dollar cash.

2. Fully completed and signed I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.

3. Valid U.S. passport and one photocopy of the passport’s biographic and photo page.

4. One photocopy of the passport page showing your valid Australian visa.

5. One photocopy of the passport page showing your arrival stamp into Australia.

6. Valid Australian passport and one photocopy of the passport’s biographic and photo page if you hold dual, American and Australian nationalities.

7. Original evidence of name change (if applicable) and one photocopy.

8. Original evidence of termination of any prior marriages and one photocopy.

9. Original current marriage certificate and one photocopy. (Please note that the marriage certificate you signed on your wedding day is insufficient for immigrant visa purposes. Instead, you must submit a copy issued by the Australian Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, or from the applicable Court or Registrar offices of the country where you were married. The certificate must bear an original seal of that issuing office.)

10. One photograph, in the format specified at the end of this information sheet.

11. One fully completed biographic data, form G-325A.

12. Evidence of a valid relationship

Documents to be presented for foreign spouse:

1. Original evidence of name change (if applicable) and one photocopy.

2. Original evidence of termination of any prior marriages and one photocopy.

3. One photograph, in the format specified at the end of this information sheet.

4. One fully completed biographic data form G-325A.

Documents to be presented for foreign born children or stepchildren

•To file petitions for a step-child, the child must have been under the age of 18 at the time the U.S. citizen petitioner married the child’s natural parent.

•Do not submit the biographic data form G325A nor photographs if filing for child or stepchild.

Please present the following for a child or stepchild:

1. Original birth certificate of child/stepchild and one photocopy.

2. Original evidence of name change or adoption decree (if applicable) and one photocopy.

3. Original evidence of termination of any prior marriages of the child’s natural parent (if applicable) and one photocopy.

Format for photographs:

• Frame subject with full face, front view, eyes open

• Make sure photo presents full head from top of hair to bottom of chin; height of head should measure 1 inch to 1-3/8 inches (25 mm to 35 mm)

• Center head within frame (see sketch below)

• Make sure eye height is between 1-1/8 inches to 1-3/8 inches (28 mm and 35 mm) from bottom of photo

• Position subject and lighting so that there are no distracting shadows on the face or background

• Encourage subject to have a natural expression

Here is the second document the Sydney consulate sent me. Know if the Melbourne consulate will just e-mail me back so I can make an appointment!

CONSULATE GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES

LEVEL 59 MLC CENTRE 19-29 MARTIN PLACE SYDNEY NSW 2000

61-2-9373-9200 sydney.usconsulate.gov/sydney

Under the revised procedures for filing petitions outside of the U.S., embassies and consulates may resume accepting I-130 petitions from American citizen petitioners who have maintained continuous residency in the consular district a minimum of the preceding six months. Petitioners must be able to show that they have permission to reside in the consular district and that they have been doing so for at least six months before filing the petition.

Exceptions to the petitioner’s residency abroad requirement can be made only in cases of true emergency such as life and death or health and safety or when in the national interest. Examples would include minor children who would be unexpectedly left without a caretaker. Family reunification or new marriages alone are not emergencies. Examples of national interest include facilitating the travel of United States military and other U.S. government direct hire employees assigned overseas who are pending imminent transfer on orders and need to petition their spouse and minor children at posts overseas. Individuals who are in Australia on a temporary status, such as student or tourist, would not be considered to meet the residency standard.

All lawful permanent residents, and American citizens’ resident in the United States or with a permanent address in the United States, will file the I-130 petitions at the USCIS Service Center having jurisdiction over their place of residence as indicated on the USCIS website: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130.pdf

Quote the language in 9 FAM Appendix N, 201.1,

“U.S. citizens whose principal residence is not in the consular district, and/or who have entered the consular district as a temporary visitor/student/or with limited leave to enter and remain must file the petition with the appropriate USCIS Service Center in the United States.”

Timeline
Under the revised procedures for filing petitions outside of the U.S., embassies and consulates may resume accepting I-130 petitions from American citizen petitioners who have maintained continuous residency in the consular district a minimum of the preceding six months. Petitioners must be able to show that they have permission to reside in the consular district and that they have been doing so for at least six months before filing the petition.

Okay, it looks like they are resuming the DCF filings. They weren't doing it at ALL when we tried.

I-130

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Adjustment of Status:

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Touched 7/4/08

Okay, it looks like they are resuming the DCF filings. They weren't doing it at ALL when we tried.

That must have been frustrating. I don't think they realize how time consuming and difficult it can be to organize everything from a different country. Why would they get rid of DCF? I'm glad it's been brought back though.

Oh, I finally got an e-mail back from the Melbourne consulate this morning. They offered me an appointment time on next Wednesday! I FINALLY feel like we've made a bit of progress! I'm really hoping that Wednesday goes smoothly and we can get all the necessary paperwork quickly. I don't want to be separated from my husband.

Timeline

That must have been frustrating. I don't think they realize how time consuming and difficult it can be to organize everything from a different country. Why would they get rid of DCF? I'm glad it's been brought back though.

Oh, I finally got an e-mail back from the Melbourne consulate this morning. They offered me an appointment time on next Wednesday! I FINALLY feel like we've made a bit of progress! I'm really hoping that Wednesday goes smoothly and we can get all the necessary paperwork quickly. I don't want to be separated from my husband.

We had to do 5 1/2 months of separation. June 1st 2007 to November 13th 2007. He came in on a B-2 visa....which we almost didn't get because we were married. He was refused the first time but we got it the second time. Otherwise he'd still be there.

I-130

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Adjustment of Status:

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Touched 7/4/08

We had to do 5 1/2 months of separation. June 1st 2007 to November 13th 2007. He came in on a B-2 visa....which we almost didn't get because we were married. He was refused the first time but we got it the second time. Otherwise he'd still be there.

Why was he refused (if you don't mind me asking)? I think we're doing the K3, but I'm going to try and ask about our options at the meeting. Any idea about these? I just want the quickest way that gives him work rights. If he doesn't have work rights then it makes more sense for us to be apart so he can make money here. I will be making a fraction of what I am now b/c i'm going back to school.

I'm hoping we won't be separated for more than a few months..Who knows. I just hate the not knowing part of this whole thing. Not knowing if you'll have problems. Not knowing when you'll get to see each other again.

Timeline

The reason he was refused for the B-2 visa the first time around was because he was married to me and so he was considered a risk to stay in the US.

We didn't really know what we needed for proof for the B-2 visa so the second time we submitted a letter from his boss showing that he knew of the leave of absence for at least 6 months and then I submitted documents showing I have a bank account there...etc. Cause we really did plan on moving back there. BUT....when he got here things changed and we ended up having to make the decision to stay in the states basically at the last minute. We filed his I-130 and his I-485 about 2 weeks before his visa expired.

But he came in legally and they knew he was married because we had it on the paperwork so I don't think we will run into problems there. And the funny thing is we got him a one way ticket with the intention of getting a flight together back to Melbourne. It was up in the air exactly when we would be able to head back. He got detained in Fiji but Fiji didn't want to keep him so they just put him back on the plane. They told him that procedurally they couldn't let anyone in the US with a one way ticket unless they had a visa allowing them to stay as a resident. But then he asked, "Well what now? Where am I to stay? How are you getting me back to Melbourne?" Apparently no one wanted to deal with it so they just let him on the plane and off to Los Angeles he went.

I-130

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Adjustment of Status:

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Touched 7/4/08

Here is a bit of detail around what to expect when you're filing your I-130 in Melbourne. Hopefully someone will find this helpful. The majority of people I've found filing in Australia have done so through Sydney, which is a bit different. **WARNING : LONG**

Ok, I just had the appointment to file the I-130 and supporting documents at the Melbourne consulate. It went pretty well. I got there a good half an hour early. At first they said "are you sure you have an appointment today? I don't see you on the list." I pretty much panicked. I said I was positive and he looked a little more and then found me on another sheet. Apparently they keep the people filing I-130s on a separate page.

So I signed in at the computer, which then printed out an ID label that I had to wear on my shirt. (It even has a barcode so they can scan you when you reach different checkpoints!) I had to take off my shoes, empty my pockets, etc. They took my bag, put it in a cubby and gave me a number to claim my stuff. I went through a metal detector. They gave me back my shoes and the paperwork I brought with me. I took my wallet up, too.

After you get through the security they walk you through another door and put you on an elevator to go up to the actual consulate. Once you're there you walk up to another security guard. He checks for you on the appointment sheet (again, he couldn't find me) and prints you out a number..kind of like the one you get at a deli when you're waiting to be served. He scans your ID barcode thing, takes your paperwork and other items and you walk through another metal detector. He tells you where to go and you're on your way!

I only had to wait about 5-10 minutes to be called up to give them my paperwork. They pretty much just check that you have all the originals and then compare the copies you bring to the originals. One thing I didn't have that they wanted was a copy of the Australian visa page of my passport. On the document list that I got from them it said just a copy of the biographic details page was needed. It didn't really matter though. The man who was helping me took a photocopy for me. The man who took my paperwork was really friendly. After they take everything they give you a form to fill in your e-mail address, name and DOB b/c the Sydney consulate will contact you via e-mail once you are ready to start the next steps.

You don't actually sit with anyone like in a meeting, which is what I thought it would be like. It's a big waiting room and they have different booths. They have a partition and a little slot where you can slide documents through..like a bank teller.

They asked me if I had my money. I said I did. They told me to go ahead and have a seat and they will call me to the cashier booth to pay. I waited another 3-5 minutes and they called my number. I paid in cash, but I think they took credit card and some other forms of payment. I didn't need exact change. It cost $AU408.25. They gave me two receipts, which I took back to the first man who did my initial paperwork. He took one and stapled it to my documents and gave me a copy to keep. He then asked that I take a seat and to wait to be called for my interview.

I waited maybe 10 minutes and was then called to another booth for an interview. It was the same setup as the other booths (it had the partition), but had a door that you could shut for privacy. I walked in and the woman (and a man she was training) asked me if I was filing a petition. I said yes. She said, "where's your husband?" I said, "I was told he didn't need to be here." "He does actually need to be here," she said. "When I e-mailed for my appointment I was told he didn't need to come," I said. "No, he does have to be here for the interview," she replied. "Great. Well, he's downstairs in the lobby waiting for me. Do I need to go get him?" I asked. "Yes, just go get him and come back when you're ready."

Great.

So I walk out to the security guy and tell him the situation and that I need to leave and come back up. He told me he could just call down and ask the downstairs security guard to get him. I thanked him and went back to sit down. About 5-10 minutes later my husband came up. He had to go through the security procedures, too, obviously. It was cute b/c he was so worried how I was doing. He knew I was a bit nervous already and he didn't want me to freak out. I was ok..just a bit annoyed that they told me he didn't need to come and then he actually had to be there! It's a good thing he drove down with me!!

Anyways, we waited for a few minutes at the booth where the interview was to be held. The woman and the trainee came back in. They asked my husband if he inteded to immigrate to the US. He said yes. They asked why. He said "because my wife is moving there." I kind of chuckled and said "uh I'm going back to school." The lady had a giggle and said "ah ok." They also asked how we met, when we met, where we met, when did we get married, where, what kind of visa did he come to the US on when we got married (the visa waiver program). The woman also said "so you didn't cohabitate before you got married?" "No.." *My husband laughs* She says, "that's refreshing..a bit old fashioned. I like it." Husband says quietly to me "umm pretty much when we were in college haha." The woman didn't hear, but the man (who was probably in his mid-late 20s) smiled at us. Very easy questions.

After they finished asking us the questions she told me that we were approved (yay!) and that they'd send it to Sydney for processing and we'd hear back about the next steps. All in all the interview only took around 8-10 minutes. We went back out of the lobby, got scanned, went down the elevator, back through security downstairs where we picked up our stuff, were scanned again and left.

Overall it went very smoothly. I was actually kind of surprised since I had issues getting an appointment initially. I just wish they could give some guidance around how long it will take to hear from Sydney. From what I've read they send all paperwork to Sydney who send it to the US who then notifies Sydney. THEN they send the next round of paperwork. ?? I know there is a way to check if your applications have been touched. How do I do that?? Thanks!

I will try to keep this thread updated as the whole process progresses.

Ta ta for now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.