mconfes

Interview scheduled - questions about I-551 stamp and traveling

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

We're Feb 2008 AOS filers.

We have some questions now that the interview is scheduled. These are tough ones but here goes:

Scenario: We want to visit Indonesia in July and the interview is 6/12.

1. If everything goes well at the interview what are the chances that they will give us the I-551 stamp?

2. If we get the stamp does that mean we can travel?

3. If we don't get the stamp can we travel and just hope the GC comes while we're gone? My wife will be there for 2 months but I'll be back in 2 weeks and I could send her the card hopefully.

4. Would we be abandoning the application if we travel under one of these conditions?

To me it's too risky to buy the plane tickets until after the interview - maybe even only after we receive the GC. However, my wife is growing impatient and economic tickets are almost sold out during this time.

Your thoughts?

Any help is appreciated.

4.15.05: Married in the U.S.

2.20.08: AOS packet (I-130/I-485/I-765) mailed to Chicago

2.21.08: Packet Delivered

2.29.08: NOA received (130/485/765)

3.03.08: Biometrics Notice Sent

3.07.08: Biometrics Received (485/765)

3.15.08: Biometrics Appointment - Completed

3.17.08: I-485 shows up online!

3.17.08: I-765 touched!

4.28.08: NOA for Interview received! (no email or anything)

4.30.08: EAD Card Ordered (received CRIS email)

5.06.08: EAD Received!

6.12.08: Interview date (Chicago)

6.12.08: AOS Approved!!

6.12.08: GC production ordered (received CRIS email)

6.20.08: GC Arrives in the mail. What a relief!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1) Yes, unless they tell you that you are approved PENDING name checks.

2) YES :yes: I-551 allows re-entry. I-551 = Green-Card

3) ONLY with AP document.

4) You would be abandoning status if you travel without I-551 stamp Green-card or AP document.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Thanks, YuandDan.

So...

1. So they could approve us and stamp the I-551 AT THE INTERVIEW, right? Any idea what constitutes doing a name check and not doing a name check? Or why they would instantly approve vs. not approving?

2. Will they ask for ALL of our original documents like birth certificate, etc? I think I accidentally filed my original birth certificate and I can't get another one. I've been told they will have all of my application documents at the interview - is this true? If that's the case I might be able to ask for the original back and give them a copy.

Any thoughts?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Thanks, YuandDan.

So...

1. So they could approve us and stamp the I-551 AT THE INTERVIEW, right? Any idea what constitutes doing a name check and not doing a name check? Or why they would instantly approve vs. not approving?

2. Will they ask for ALL of our original documents like birth certificate, etc? I think I accidentally filed my original birth certificate and I can't get another one. I've been told they will have all of my application documents at the interview - is this true? If that's the case I might be able to ask for the original back and give them a copy.

Any thoughts?

1) Even if they approve you, this doesn't mean that they will stamp your passport. Stamps are not that common nowadays. I was approved on the spot on 4/17/08 and he didn't stamp it but normally it only takes around 2 weeks in order for you to receive your green card. Name check means that the FBI hasn't cleared your name; it might be just pending or might resemble the name of somebody that is a threat for this country and is already on file and they just have to dig more into your past.

The reasons why you wouldn't be approved on the spot is because you are a threat to this country and/or USCIS found something in your past that could not let you adjust status; because your name is pending or because they need extra documentation that you need to take to them in order to be approved.

2) They can ask for anything, everything or nearly nothing of the documents listed on your interview letter. It is up to them, they asked for my original birth certificate so if I was you, I would try to request an original from your relatives ASAP, you never know if bc of this dumb reason they could put your approval on stand-by.

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

We're Feb 2008 AOS filers.

We have some questions now that the interview is scheduled. These are tough ones but here goes:

Scenario: We want to visit Indonesia in July and the interview is 6/12.

1. If everything goes well at the interview what are the chances that they will give us the I-551 stamp?

2. If we get the stamp does that mean we can travel?

3. If we don't get the stamp can we travel and just hope the GC comes while we're gone? My wife will be there for 2 months but I'll be back in 2 weeks and I could send her the card hopefully.

4. Would we be abandoning the application if we travel under one of these conditions?

To me it's too risky to buy the plane tickets until after the interview - maybe even only after we receive the GC. However, my wife is growing impatient and economic tickets are almost sold out during this time.

Your thoughts?

Any help is appreciated.

I wouldn't count on anything until you/she has GC in hand. They approved my wife and daughter at the interview and told us it would be 2 weeks to get GCs.

Ended up more like 2 months as they screwed up in multiple ways.

Maybe they will stamp her PP with the I-551 if you ask nicely!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Good info everyone. I guess the best we can hope for is a quick interview with minimal originals requested. We have all of our papers in order except for the birth cert. issue and no other issues. Here's to hoping for a stamp!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.