HumanUnit

Not sure what's next!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I've read through all the FAQs, Guides and shortcut instructions but I'm stumped at this point. Things have gone fairly smoothly until now - I filed the I-130 petition at the end of November and now according to the NVC Flowchart thing the only thing remaining is the DS-230. My husband and I are both in Canada, hoping to move to NYC as of Sept 1. I'm the American.

I don't really know what's up with this DS-230 thing and what happens next. The form itself seems fairly straightforward - but I know that at some point we have to do things like a medical and criminal background check. When does that all happen? Is that after the file is sent to the embassy (in Montreal?)? Does that mean there's another delay when they send us our packages and we get all this paperwork done?? :( Do they at least schedule the interview in the meantime or do they need all the documents first?

It's just a little worrisome because everything's been so easy so far but I'm really worried we won't get our interview before September!

Thanks in advance for any assistance - if I've stupidly looked over any answers anywhere please just direct me to them! :)

Nov 29 2005 I-130 received at VSC

Mar 13 2006 I-130 approved at CSC

April 24 2006 $380 mailed to NVC

May 5 2006 I-186 mailed to NVC

May 18 2006 I-186 received by NVC

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I have no idea how long it takes to schedule an interview in Montreal, but unless it takes more than 90 days, I would go ahead and request the police report as soon as your case is complete at the NVC. At that point, you can also do the medical. In most places, it takes a while to get an appointment with one of the embassy-approved physicans, but you should have enough time to get the results before your interview.

It is, however, possible in many locations to the medical on the same day as the interview on a walk-in basis. To find out if that is possible in Montreal, take a look at the embassy section on this site. It is also possible to go to the interview without the police report, but your husband will not receive his visa until all the documents are at the embassy. So, based on your time frame, wait for case completion , and then go ahead and schedule the medical and request the police report.

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Timeline
I have no idea how long it takes to schedule an interview in Montreal, but unless it takes more than 90 days, I would go ahead and request the police report as soon as your case is complete at the NVC. At that point, you can also do the medical. In most places, it takes a while to get an appointment with one of the embassy-approved physicans, but you should have enough time to get the results before your interview.

It is, however, possible in many locations to the medical on the same day as the interview on a walk-in basis. To find out if that is possible in Montreal, take a look at the embassy section on this site. It is also possible to go to the interview without the police report, but your husband will not receive his visa until all the documents are at the embassy. So, based on your time frame, wait for case completion , and then go ahead and schedule the medical and request the police report.

Thank you so much :). I have no idea how to go about getting his police check or medical. Are there any forms or anything or can I just call and schedule, and they'll know what to do? I hope that's not a stupid question! I think what they need is an RCMP check so maybe I'll just call them and figure out what they need. I think there are doctors listed on the Embassy Information link and hopefully they're cool with making an appointment before the documents are in!

Thanks again!

Filed: Timeline

You have to send the criminal check in with the DS230 (it's easy, my husband's was done in literally 10 minutes and it was free). The medical is done once you get your interview date set (or you can do it before I believe, if you'd rather do it that way). Hubby and I are in the same boat as you - we're both in Canada and filed the CR1. We're waiting for our interview now.

Here comes the bad news for you - your interview won't be before September. As of now the interviews are basically four months from your case completion date (which comes once you've sent in all the documents requested from the NVC), because Montreal is backed up.

Edited by approvemedammit

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

"In our attempt to make everybody happy, we make nobody happy. And we lose elections." - Democratic activist Janice Griffin

Timeline
You have to send the criminal check in with the DS230 (it's easy, my husband's was done in literally 10 minutes and it was free). The medical is done once you get your interview date set (or you can do it before I believe, if you'd rather do it that way). Hubby and I are in the same boat as you - we're both in Canada and filed the CR1. We're waiting for our interview now.

Here comes the bad news for you - your interview won't be before September. As of now the interviews are basically four months from your case completion date (which comes once you've sent in all the documents requested from the NVC), because Montreal is backed up.

Thank you for that...even though that is bad news it's still good for me to know! Do you have an interview date set?? Good luck with that :).

From your post then can I just assume that we bring the medical report to the interview, rather than send it in before? That's what I understood by your statement that the medical can be done after the interview date is set. If you have a moment could you also please let me know how to go about getting the police check done? Shall I just call the RCMP for an appointment or is it done through local police? I can't seem to find any information about what happens once you send in the Affidavit of Support! Thanks very much, in advance.

Yep, that's what I meant - you bring the medical report to the interview. You don't have to send it anywhere beforehand. As for the RCMP check, I wasn't sure where to go either but I emailed a former VJ member who lived in my city and she gave me the exact address. You may want to start a thread here specifically asking where to go in your city to get one, or you could google it ("RCMP in [city, province]"). We didn't need an appointment, all I did was call to make sure they could do a police check and how long it would take. Since our interview is taking so long we'll need another one FOR the interview, but as I said before - we were in and out in ten minutes.

If you have any more questions, go ahead and ask. We just went through all this ####### in the last few months, so I know how it is! And we don't have an interview date yet. Our case was completed March 24, which means we're looking at late July. Can't wait!!

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

"In our attempt to make everybody happy, we make nobody happy. And we lose elections." - Democratic activist Janice Griffin

Timeline

Hey, thanks so much for that! This site's been awesome - I've seriously used nothing else to get to this point!! I've really only had like four questions up until this point because so much information's already in the Guides.

I think I know where the RCMP is here in Toronto, I just needed to make sure that was the place to go. I think we'll do that ASAP and then just cross our fingers that they'll hustle and set the silly interview date. It's kind of annoying that your case has been completed for over a month and you have no interview date yet but from what I've read here so far the interview itself isn't too heinous. I have to start work in the US in mid-September so ultimately if he gets an interview towards late September/early October that's not too terrible for us, although it can get logistically challenging and expensive maintaining the two residences. Best of luck with your interview, and thanks very much again! :D

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There are other things that you need to send in with the DS-230 as well. Along with the police certificate, you'll also need the long form birth certificate and marriage certificate.

:time:

Good luck!

CR-1

09/16/2005 Mailed I-130 (CSC)

09/21/2005 NOA 1

02/07/2006 NOA 2 (Day 143)

02/25/2006 Petitioner receives AOS Bill in U.S. (Day 161)

02/27/2006 AOS Bill (regular USPS) and DS-3032 (Canada Post regular) are mailed out

03/21/2006 Petitioner receives I-864 package (Day 185)

03/22/2006 Beneficiary receives IV Bill and sends payment - regular mail (Day 186)

03/24/2006 Petitioner sends back I-864 (Day 188)

04/13/2006 Beneficiary receives DS-230 (Day 208)

05/10/2006 Beneficiary sends back DS-230 and docs to NVC via Fedex (Day 235)

05/19/2006 NVC issues RFE on Question # 20 on the DS-230. (Day 244)

05/29/2006 Beneficiary receives RFE and sends it off (Day 254)

06/02/2006 NVC receives RFE (Day 258)

06/16/2006 Case Complete! (Day 272)

07/07/2006 Case forwarded to Consulate in Montreal (Day 293)

08/11/2006 INTERVIEW! VISA APPROVED!

08/14/2006 Picked up visa and crossed the border.

08/25/2006 SS card arrives in the mail

09/07/2006 GC arrives in the mail.

K-3

02/01/2006 Mailed I-129F

02/07/2006 NOA1

04/14/2006 I-129F is approved!

04/24/2006 NVC forwards the application to the consulate in Montreal

05/01/2006 Packet 3 is received from consulate & is sent of 3 days later

07/07/2006 Medical

08/08/2006 INTERVIEW- cancelled bec. of CR-1

Timeline

Thanks! I'm not quite sure what a long form birth certificate is - mine from the US is one page and my husband's is a little card thing.

Also I have no idea how to update my timeline! When I click on it there's no place to edit it! :help:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

(Taken from aussiewench's timesavers)

Check this out for how to prepare for your DS-230 (eg which documents to include):

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/applying_in.pdf

That's the pdf that you'd download from this page: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1309.html for immigrants from Canada. Then you'll want to look here:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C...er/C/Canada.htm

for help on how to get the documents required. There is a link to this from the pdf I linked above, but the link in the pdf is wrong. Note it missing visa directory - it needs to be there. Hope this helps! ttyl,

mich

Let me show you how to get your tax returns the easy way

aussiewench's thread for kicking butt in the NVC ('cause i'm too lazy to keep looking it up - haha)

Our DS-3032 email to the NVC

02 Jan 2006 - Married

...----===::: CR-1 :::===---...

22 May 2006 - Case # Assigned @ NVC

14 Jul 2006 - DS-230 Package Received by USC

We stopped pursuit of CR-1 to pursue K3/AOS. For us, both required the same document, we could only have one valid copy, and the K3 was moving faster.

See profile for the details up to and in between the events listed here.

...---===::: K3 :::===---...

17 May 2006 - Date NVC says petition shipped to embassy

18 May 2006 - Case # Assigned @ NVC

01 Jul 2006 - Packet "3" received from embassy

18 Jul 2006 - Medical

21 Sept 2006 - K3 Interview Date (APPROVED)

27 Sept 2006 - Received Visa

06 Oct 2006 - Arrives in the USA! Finally home together. :)

(Truncated timeline - sig too long. See profile for all details.)

Timeline

Check this out for how to prepare for your DS-230 (eg which documents to include):

That's the pdf that you'd download from this page: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1309.html for immigrants from Canada. Then you'll want to look here:

for help on how to get the documents required. There is a link to this from the pdf I linked above, but the link in the pdf is wrong. Note it missing visa directory - it needs to be there. Hope this helps! ttyl,

mich

Wow, that was all incredibly helpful, thank you! I'm going to get started on all of this right away. I can't believe they want original birth certificates...well I guess I can believe it...but it's kind of scary to hand that over! :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

mich

Wow, that was all incredibly helpful, thank you! I'm going to get started on all of this right away. I can't believe they want original birth certificates...well I guess I can believe it...but it's kind of scary to hand that over! :)

np. :) I actually just found these a few days ago, so I was freakin' out a bit 'cause I thought I didn't have to get all that stuff ready until the interview (so much for my "research"!). So yeah... my wife is going ot get started on all these ASAP (since she's the only one that can get them for her country).

I didn't read the Canada-specific stuff... they require originals? In the PDF (the first link), they say this:

Please obtain the original documents or certified copies from an appropriate authority (the issuing entity) for yourself and each family member who will accompany you to the United States. All documents that pertain to your petition are required, even if they were previously submitted to the CIS with your petition.

That's the first paragraph on the top of page 2. So unless you're seeing something more specific somewhere, it looks like a certified copy would be just fine. I totally agree with you that it's a bit scary to have to give up the originals! I am trying to get certified copies of everything instead ;) Hope this helps. ttyl,

mich

Let me show you how to get your tax returns the easy way

aussiewench's thread for kicking butt in the NVC ('cause i'm too lazy to keep looking it up - haha)

Our DS-3032 email to the NVC

02 Jan 2006 - Married

...----===::: CR-1 :::===---...

22 May 2006 - Case # Assigned @ NVC

14 Jul 2006 - DS-230 Package Received by USC

We stopped pursuit of CR-1 to pursue K3/AOS. For us, both required the same document, we could only have one valid copy, and the K3 was moving faster.

See profile for the details up to and in between the events listed here.

...---===::: K3 :::===---...

17 May 2006 - Date NVC says petition shipped to embassy

18 May 2006 - Case # Assigned @ NVC

01 Jul 2006 - Packet "3" received from embassy

18 Jul 2006 - Medical

21 Sept 2006 - K3 Interview Date (APPROVED)

27 Sept 2006 - Received Visa

06 Oct 2006 - Arrives in the USA! Finally home together. :)

(Truncated timeline - sig too long. See profile for all details.)

HumanUnit, it took us about 4 or 5 months to get my husband's long form birth certificate (and yeah, it's actually just a certified copy). You'll have to go to your MPP to get it expedited if you want it quicker. They'll do it as long as you bring in proof that you need it quickly (the letter from the NVC stating that you need it should do). It costs an extra $15 (I think) to expedite, but it's worth it.

Edited by approvemedammit

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

Timeline
HumanUnit, it took us about 4 or 5 months to get my husband's long form birth certificate (and yeah, it's actually just a certified copy). You'll have to go to your MPP to get it expedited if you want it quicker. They'll do it as long as you bring in proof that you need it quickly (the letter from the NVC stating that you need it should do). It costs an extra $15 (I think) to expedite, but it's worth it.

THANK YOU for this information! I would have just sent in his little wallet sized birth certificate!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.