mrssmith

How long can you delay returning packet 3?

9 posts in this topic

So we recieved a RFE on 10th April 2008. this in the first sentence said we had 60 days to return the information, then said if not returned by 9th May 2008 our applications would be denied....

I have tried e-mailing the embassy to ask which is correct but have had no answer.

We have all the information now so will return early next week, just to be sure.

However we are not planning to move until April 2009 due to finances and my hubby wanting to get citizenship here before we move to US.

So my question is how long after the NOA2 do we have to return information recieved in packet 3 and have the interview? :wacko:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
So we recieved a RFE on 10th April 2008. this in the first sentence said we had 60 days to return the information, then said if not returned by 9th May 2008 our applications would be denied....

I have tried e-mailing the embassy to ask which is correct but have had no answer.

We have all the information now so will return early next week, just to be sure.

However we are not planning to move until April 2009 due to finances and my hubby wanting to get citizenship here before we move to US.

So my question is how long after the NOA2 do we have to return information recieved in packet 3 and have the interview? :wacko:

Hi,

Did you respond already to the RFE? Coz you need to send them the RFE documents they requested you and be returned to them before or on May 9.

Shape

Edited by SHAPE OF MY HEART

No haven't returned the RFE documents yet, returning them next Tuesday which will be 6th May.

How long do i get once they have approved this initially 1st stage before i have an interview? Is it 12 months?

We do not want to leave until April 2009 at the earliest so need to know how to delay process as long as possible?

Any ideas anyone?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think I've said this to you before, but in your case, I would include a covering letter with the RFE, and ask if they might delay issuing the Approval of the I-130 for a few months. The London Embassy seem to be very understanding of peoples situations, and I'm sure would respond favourable to this kind of request.

If they must issue the approval soon, then it is my understanding (someone jump in if i'm wrong) that the approval of the petition is good for a year. Meaning that the visa must be issued withing a year of the approval of the petition. So even if you delayed the visa issuance till next, say, February, you would still have 6 months validity on the visa before you must enter the country. And probably another few months of leeway to go over and back tying up loose ends.

Basically there is no way that you'll be able to delay the process enough yourself to avoid having the visa issued sometime this year. The best thing to do is include a letter with the RFE explaining the situation, maybe they'll agree to delay issuing the NOA2 or Packet 3 until you let them know that you're ready.

The UK Wiki

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
If they must issue the approval soon, then it is my understanding (someone jump in if i'm wrong) that the approval of the petition is good for a year.

That is what I have always understood to, but have not seen that quoted anywhere but on VJ.

The other thing the OP might need to consider. Is April 2009 when her husband can apply for UK citizenship because that can take quite sometime to get completed, the current estimate is seven months.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Thanks Poiteen, i'll write the cover letter tomorrow and post it with the RFE documents next week.

Lansbury, yes April 2009 is when husband can apply for Citizenship. But i have discovered recently as soon as they have recieved the application you can leave the UK and have your swearing in Ceremony in the US. This is excellent news for us, as we were going to leave without applying as did not want to wait the additional 7 months for the citizenship to process. But now have decided to wait and apply then leave soon afterwards.

I think I've said this to you before, but in your case, I would include a covering letter with the RFE, and ask if they might delay issuing the Approval of the I-130 for a few months. The London Embassy seem to be very understanding of peoples situations, and I'm sure would respond favourable to this kind of request.

If they must issue the approval soon, then it is my understanding (someone jump in if i'm wrong) that the approval of the petition is good for a year. Meaning that the visa must be issued withing a year of the approval of the petition. So even if you delayed the visa issuance till next, say, February, you would still have 6 months validity on the visa before you must enter the country. And probably another few months of leeway to go over and back tying up loose ends.

Basically there is no way that you'll be able to delay the process enough yourself to avoid having the visa issued sometime this year. The best thing to do is include a letter with the RFE explaining the situation, maybe they'll agree to delay issuing the NOA2 or Packet 3 until you let them know that you're ready.

Yes, the approved I-130 is good for a year. I don't see why they're going to have a problem. The approval will probably be sometime in May, which means they can comfortably delay return of packet 3 to Jan 08 or so and then say the interview happens in Feb/March, then they have until July/August of 2009 to use the visa. My suggestion would be to send a letter at some point over the summer saying they have received packet 3 but as they do not want to move to the US until April of 2009, they will not be returning the DS-230 Part1 and checklist until January 09 with the understanding that the I-130 approval is good for one year. I would think that asking for a delay on issuing the I-130 would cause confusion, but that is based on my sense of it rather than actually hearing about anyone's experience with trying it.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Lansbury, yes April 2009 is when husband can apply for Citizenship. But i have discovered recently as soon as they have recieved the application you can leave the UK and have your swearing in Ceremony in the US.

That makes thing so much easier/

How very accommodating and civilized, so British :innocent:

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, Margot's plan works just as well, I suppose I just thought it was best to inform the Embassy of your plan at the earliest opportunity, and see what they suggest, I'll be interested to know how it goes.

:star:

The UK Wiki

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.