Steve Maughan

Health Insurance for Elderly Parents

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm a Green Card holder (originally from the UK) and recently my Aunt naturalized as a US citizen. I'll be eligible to naturalize in about 18 months. Apparently my Aunt informs me that she could now sponsor my Mum (her sister) to come to the US. From looking at other posts on this forum that does indeed seem to be the case. But - what happens to my Dad? Is he covered if my Mum was sponsored by my Aunt?

The other issue that we have is health insurance. My Mum and Dad would not be eligible for any form of Medicare. Can anyone recommend a good (cheap?!?) company for private (non-US citizen) medical insurance? They are both in quite good shape (Mum is 71 and Dad is 69) but do take a couple of medications for angina (Dad) and some blood anti-coagulator (Mum).

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve Maughan

Filed: Timeline
I'm a Green Card holder (originally from the UK) and recently my Aunt naturalized as a US citizen. I'll be eligible to naturalize in about 18 months. Apparently my Aunt informs me that she could now sponsor my Mum (her sister) to come to the US. From looking at other posts on this forum that does indeed seem to be the case. But - what happens to my Dad? Is he covered if my Mum was sponsored by my Aunt?

Don't know about health insurance.

There is at least 10 year wait before the beneficiary (your mother) and dependants (father) of a petition filed by sibling can immigrate to the USA. When you, as USC, sponsor your parents, there is no wait on top of normal paper processing (1 year). So, total 2,5 -3,5 years from now. So, I don't see a reason for your aunt to sponsor your parents.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Oh definitely, don't go with your aunt petitioning your mother becaue it will take more than 10 years. Once you become a US citizen yourself in 18 months or so, you will be able to petition both parents and their process should take about another year.

As far as health insurance goes, it is hard to find inexpensive coverage. It can cost up to $400 per person, per month, so it is not cheap. What my mother has had to do is get health insurance in Colombia which is very inexpensive, get all her medical stuff taken care of over there, including Rx and pray to God nothing happens while she's here in the States.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Apparently in MA there is a scheme, but pretty much everywhere else you are stuffed.

USC's have major problems, never mind others.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.