Ahmed & Sue

Do second marriages in Egypt have "prenuptual" agreements?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
There is an thing there, like what you are talking about which some older women do wear in Tunisia. It's white and a lot of times they hold it closed in their teeth - It's called sifsari ... I've seen it be more common in the rural areas...

Yep! that's a headcovering and a niqab-type face covering as well (could be one piece). So their line about being in with Tunisian traditions doesn't even make sense. That's even more covering than just regular hijab. That's why their statement makes no sense to me. It's probably true that modern fashion in not traditional for them, but to ban it at all in public places and say it's not traditional would be an excuse.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Yes that type of covering, sifsari I believe started and was worn in the southern areas for protection from the sun and extreme elements - at least that is what my husband's mother told me - that the women wanted to keep their skin soft, and 'whiter' and this was the best way when they had to work the land, etc to protect their skin. There are different versions of it - one being just a huge white piece of cloth going over the head, held closed between the teeth, that drapes down to around the waist -and regular modest Islamic clothing under - skirts, blouses, etc. In my husband's town the old women have a different way to wear it - region specific.

And I just mean that the article was good as in I read some stuff I didn't know (though some seems untrue now) and it gave a good over view for someone who wasn't that sure what we were talking about ... I wouldn't say it's banned in public places though - as far as I know just government buildings and military buildings/areas - Tunisian women do wear hijab and other variations of it and walk in the streets of all the towns I've been in that way - I was just making the point that some do not - some go to the opposite end of extreme and that's okay there as well...

Edited by Ash * Habibati

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

one of my best friends ever can actually tie a knot with a marachino cherry stem....................with her tongue!!!!! no using hands at all, just her tongue. to this day i'm in awe.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

oh boy.........there is a challenge to accept. This one might keep me busy all summer. I'm still sitting here trying to fold my tongue in half. Not as easy as it sounds. It's a good thing no one can see me right now.

I really hadn't realized there was so much to the dress of the culture. This is definately an informational forum.

I asked the daughter, btw, and she laughed when I told her about the "screaming". She said sounds like something she wants to learn......lol. Teenage girls are enough, I should have never mentioned it.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
Hey, the screaming, is that because of the wedding, or do they just do it to be doing something? If it is something they just do to be doing, I am surprised the younger generation here has not caught onto it yet. Maybe I can make some brownie points with my teenager.......lol. Can you see them all in a group trying to immitate that? It already has be laughing.

Thanks,

Sue

in israel my female in laws (family of in laws not just MIL) do it during all kinds of celebrations but *right* at the point when the thing happens. So right after you step on the glass during a wedding. Right after the snip at a circumcision. Right after someone blows out their birthday candles. etc... Also they/we will do it walking a bride to the mikveh, during a wedding party or occasion where they are playing mizrahi or arabic style music etc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ladies, I wanna ask, can you see Americans wearing this dress on a regular basis and being comfortable? The clothing looks light, but at the same time, in the summer heat here with the high humidity, I can't see anyone being completely covered very long and being comfortable.

When we were in Egypt, it was hot, but it was dry. Ahmed was complaining of the heat, and I was completely comfortable, even in long dresses and jeans. I never did put the airconditioning on. If I would have to cover up head to toe here in the summer I would never make it through the day without fainting.

Guess when I write out the prenuptual, I have to make sure I put something in it about not having to wear a complete covering while I am outside the house.............lol.

And since everyone has been so open with their posts, and I am realizing it is common to do a prenuptual, or some form of pre-marriage contract, I am going to go ahead with it. I had previously asked Ahmed about it, and he agreed, however I wanted some input from others, and I wanted to know what is customary. When we talked, he seemed like he understood what I was asking. I took the time to explain the prenuptual to him. I also tried to explain to him why I was asking him to do it. I just don't want him to get here and then say I never told him. Sometimes we are not on the same page, but we usually get there.

Timeline
Why do you step on a glass during a wedding?

There are a couple of reasons, one being that it reminds you that with joy comes sadness, or to temper one's joy... and the other I have heard is that it is a reminder of the destruction of the temple. Chaishai may have heard of other reasons.

Timeline
Ladies, I wanna ask, can you see Americans wearing this dress on a regular basis and being comfortable? The clothing looks light, but at the same time, in the summer heat here with the high humidity, I can't see anyone being completely covered very long and being comfortable.

When we were in Egypt, it was hot, but it was dry. Ahmed was complaining of the heat, and I was completely comfortable, even in long dresses and jeans. I never did put the airconditioning on. If I would have to cover up head to toe here in the summer I would never make it through the day without fainting.

It depends on what you're wearing. I have some two-layer chiffon abayas that i can wear shorts and a tank top under and I am fine. I wear pants and long sleeve or a long shirt every single day, no matter how hot it is. You get used to it, but no, it's not comfortable in a car without A/C. Otherwise, it's totally fine. Covering your head and neck are a different animal though. I get hot with my hair covered with cotton. I figure I'm going to switch over to a chiffon soon. I don't cover my neck, but when i was in jordan i did-- and i thought i would die sometimes. I literally wanted to rip it off. It depends on your religious convictions as to whether or not you're going to put up with it here. Those who feel it's necessary, do just fine and probably get used to it as far as not passing out or wanting to rip it off and feeling constricted.

It's a very personal thing - I feel like hijab is between you and God. I am Muslim, my biological father is Muslim, (mother is American), husband is Muslim, etc But for me hijab is in the clothing I'm wearing on a daily basis (my wedding dress being an exception before I get jumped on for that lol ) For me I'm just more focused on covering everything and being respectful, yet comfortable in my own skin, but I'm not going to cover my head. Again, personal choice 1000% and I was raised not to see difference between a woman who does or a woman who does not. As I've said before my husband's mother does and his sister does not - individual thing. My husband has told me several times he does not want me covering my head, that it's not okay for him. There are a ton of arguments going both ways but at the end of the day it is between you and God and that's the one you've got to answer to - I always say don't judge me and I won't judge you, because we all get judged in the end. I've worn it before - Actually been totally covered before and blimey was I uncomfortable - Just personal choice, we all have to do what's right for us.

I meant to add (got a little post reply button happy) you're going to be comfortable wearing whatever you are comfortable with inside - I think no matter where you are - As far as the heat, they have some really nifty tricks to beat that hehe My husband's mother amazes me when it gets 120 degrees F and more there she still manages - But I will admit when she hits the door to the house, she's stripping hehehe :rofl:

It's a very personal thing - I feel like hijab is between you and God. I am Muslim, my biological father is Muslim, (mother is American), husband is Muslim, etc But for me hijab is in the clothing I'm wearing on a daily basis (my wedding dress being an exception before I get jumped on for that lol ) For me I'm just more focused on covering everything and being respectful, yet comfortable in my own skin, but I'm not going to cover my head. Again, personal choice 1000% and I was raised not to see difference between a woman who does or a woman who does not. As I've said before my husband's mother does and his sister does not - individual thing. My husband has told me several times he does not want me covering my head, that it's not okay for him. There are a ton of arguments going both ways but at the end of the day it is between you and God and that's the one you've got to answer to - I always say don't judge me and I won't judge you, because we all get judged in the end. I've worn it before - Actually been totally covered before and blimey was I uncomfortable - Just personal choice, we all have to do what's right for us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.