Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cca

Please help- do i cancel my wedding?

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

Im new to this site but ive heard how much people help you on it so i thought id give it a go.

I got engaged to my boyfriend of 2 years earlier this year. He is a USC and Im a British Citizen.

We filed our peition only to have it sent back to us saying we'd sent it to the wrong place (silly on our behalf i know) and that we had to send it to CSC.

We sent it about 2 weeks ago now and am anxiously waiting our NOA1.

I have had 2 J1 visas in te past and never thought that it may exceed over 6mnths in order to get this fiance visa so we've booked venues ect for oct 25th! Now im thinking should I cancel and postpone it because my friends and family need to know if they are to book flights or not. Or shall i just weigh my chances and get my guests to just book tickets last min but not change the date?

To be hnest, im going more to the side of changng it. My fiance graduates from his university in dec and could be posted anywhere in usa for his job so we really want to have a wedding before that and get it all over and done with before that happens. Does middle of dec seem a reasonable amount of time to obtain visa?? from april till then??

Also, we only sent a copy each of the Biographical info form but i read somehwre that you had to send 2 each (2 for you 2 for your fiancee) Will this slow application down??

One more question...is it ok for me to visit him in the USA whilst im waiting for my NOA2 just for a couple of weeks if i take information expalining ties for UK? Shall i just not menton im seeing my fiancee at border control or can they scan the passport and see youve applied for K1 visa??

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

:wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi cca,

We filed at CSC in middle of October and unfortunately we are still waiting. You might get lucky but as you have guests and family involved I would not take the chance to plan wedding date. We ourselves plan to get married on 08/08/08 and not so sure it will go ahead.

We personally only send 1 biographical form for each.

I went to the USA in December and did not have any problems

Good luck in your journey and all the best

(F)


Laurence

10/15/2007 NOA1

04/29/2008 RFE by email

05/03/2008 RFE hard copy received

Reply to RFE sent 05/05/2008

RFE received at CSC 05/06/2008

NOA2 05/15/2008

NOA2 hard copy 05/19/2008

Packet 3 received 06/09/2008

Packet 3 completed and sent 06/10/2008

Medical 06/11/2008

Packet 3 received @ Embassy 06/12/2008

Packet 4 07/03/2008

Interview 07/17/2008

POE 07/31/2008

Wedding 08/08/2008

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The common response is NEVER make plans until you have the visa in hand... particularly if you put money at risk that will be forfeited.

CSC appears to be taking upwards of 5 mos. for petition approval and then you have NVC and the London Consulate... you need to verify but that could add maybe another 3-4 mos.

PS as this is a K-1 or UK question and NOT a K-3, I will move it.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi everyone,

Im new to this site but ive heard how much people help you on it so i thought id give it a go.

I got engaged to my boyfriend of 2 years earlier this year. He is a USC and Im a British Citizen.

We filed our peition only to have it sent back to us saying we'd sent it to the wrong place (silly on our behalf i know) and that we had to send it to CSC.

We sent it about 2 weeks ago now and am anxiously waiting our NOA1.

I have had 2 J1 visas in te past and never thought that it may exceed over 6mnths in order to get this fiance visa so we've booked venues ect for oct 25th! Now im thinking should I cancel and postpone it because my friends and family need to know if they are to book flights or not. Or shall i just weigh my chances and get my guests to just book tickets last min but not change the date?

The most frequent answer you'll get here is never solidify any wedding plans until the visa is in had. Unexpected delays can and will occur all the time....its best not to book any venues or make any plans until you know for sure.

To be hnest, im going more to the side of changng it. My fiance graduates from his university in dec and could be posted anywhere in usa for his job so we really want to have a wedding before that and get it all over and done with before that happens. Does middle of dec seem a reasonable amount of time to obtain visa?? from april till then??

Also, we only sent a copy each of the Biographical info form but i read somehwre that you had to send 2 each (2 for you 2 for your fiancee) Will this slow application down??

Only one/person of the biographical info(1 for you and 1 for your fiance)form is needed...but be aware that the form itself comes in quadruplicate...so 4 pages must be sent in for you and 4 pages for your fiance - all bearing an original signature. It can slow the application down if you do not include a required portion of the petition, because CSC may issue you an RFE (request for further evidence) asking you to send the missing documents....thereby slowing the process. In the end the slowdown may add a couple/few weeks to the length of your 'journey'.

One more question...is it ok for me to visit him in the USA whilst im waiting for my NOA2 just for a couple of weeks if i take information expalining ties for UK? Shall i just not menton im seeing my fiancee at border control or can they scan the passport and see youve applied for K1 visa??

This answer will vary...some have tried and had no problems, others have been turned away at the POE. It must be a personal choice for everyone. In my opinion....if it is not a big deal should you be turned away at entry, and have to fly right back (in effect losing the $ paid for the ticket) then by all means come and take a chance. :)

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

:wacko:

Just as a side note - you mention having had J1 visas in the past. Did you J1 have the 2 year home stay restriction? If so, has that requirement been met or will it be met by the time you'd be receiving the visa? I say it only because the J1 home stay requirement supercedes the issuance of another visa, and you would have to wait out the time before the visa can be issued. Just an FYI.

Good luck,

-P

Edited by Paula&Minya

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Thanks for that reply. We are going to wait antill end of July to see what the situation is on Visa and then move if neccesary. Also we dont want to risk being denied entry so he is comin to UK in about 2 weeks!!! :yes:

Umm about the 2 yr home stay for J1 visa. Im trying to find out if that applys to me but i dont think it does. I went over to be a camp counsellor (thats how i met him) and applied for J1 visa twice (2006 and 2007) and had no probs. It wasnt funded by govn and it wasnt a medical training programme so i think i may be ok. Im not sure how to find out 100% though. Any suggestions??

Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...