psiprez

SO having trouble with APCO form

19 posts in this topic

My SO is going to be quite irate with me for posting this, but I need to ask/vent.

We are currently waiting for Packet 3 to arrive, and are getting our paperwork together in advance. Everything is fine, except that he still hasn't sent away for the APCO Police Certificate. I'm not worried about the added time, because it will only take a few extra days to receive it.

The reason he hasn't sent away for it is that he doesn't know anyone from the approved list of occupations who can sign his passport photos. And I mean NO ONE on the list. He is just a quiet workaday guy who never has any medical or legal troubles, so he never deals with these types of people. And he has no friends or relatives in these professions. You know the list:

In order to satisfy ACRO requirements, the person certifying must be included in one of the following groups:

• Accountant

• Bank/building society official

• Barrister

• Broker

• Chairman / Director / Manager / Personnel Officer (limited company)

• Chemist

• Chiropodist

• Commissioner of Oaths

• Councillor: local or county

• Civil Servant (permanent)

• Dentist

• Engineer (Qualified)

• Fire Service Official

• General Practitioner

• Justice of the Peace

• Legal Secretary

• Member of Parliament

• Merchant Navy Officer

• Minister of a recognised religion

• Nurse (SRN and SEN)

• Officer of the Armed Services (active or retired)

• Optician

• Police Officer / Police Staff

• Post Office Official

• Solicitor

• Teacher or Lecturer

• Warrant Officers or Chief Petty Officers

The closest he comes is his boss, who owns the company he works for. Except he's only worked there for 19 months. He refuses to approach her about signing it, because it says they need to know you for 2 years, and he won't put her in the position to be dishonest. He cannot go to his GP because he just retired. His Postman doesn't know him by face, and neither does the bank, library, police, you name it.

So now we are stuck. I can't believe that THIS will be our undoing. And with me being so far away, I can't do anything to help. I've said he should go down to the bank and try. I mean, if they agree it's his bank account, then they can agree it's his photo. I even said to take his passport to the police station and ask someone there to look at his passport and see that it's obviously him. But he won't go.

Any advice?

Edited by psiprez

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
So now we are stuck. I can't believe that THIS will be our undoing. And with me being so far away, I can't do anything to help. I've said he should go down to the bank and try. I mean, if they agree it's his bank account, then they can agree it's his photo. I even said to take his passport to the police station and ask someone there to look at his passport and see that it's obviously him. But he won't go.

Any advice?

Your suggestions here are excellent and probably the best way to get it done, but if he won't go then he needs to understand that it could prevent him getting his visa. Has he said why he won't go?

Gillian

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I had pretty much the same problem, as it turned out I didn't need the ACPO form, but if i had, my plan was to go to the Bank. They have a documentable relationship with me for the last 2 1/2 years. Since I only moved here 3 years ago they were pretty much the only people that would have qualified. Sure each individual in the bank hasn't known me personally for 2 years, but I think that it would have been enough to satisfy the requirements.

Lansbury, as our resident police expert, care to comment? :)

Edited by Poiteen

The UK Wiki

Doesn't he have a dentist?

In case you haven't noticed.... he's British. :lol:

And no, no chemist, no minister.

I felt awful and distrustful doing so, but I went so far as to ask if there was something he was hiding from me (as in, a police record). Thankfully he didn't get upset, and thankfully he isn't hiding anything.

I'm sure it will get done. I'm also sure it will add a month to our timeline. And I'm sure I will go insane trying not to nag him to get it done.

Just to be sure... do you need to send the police certificate back with Packet 3, or do you just need to bring it to the interview?

--------------------

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

you just need it for the interview. I put stuff off for ages too, but somehow an interview date has a way of focusing the mind ;)

Also, once he manages to get it sent out, it only takes 10 working days max to be returned. :D

The UK Wiki

Filed: Timeline

He must be registed with a GP.... his GP's office will sign it for him even if the actual GP is new or in his case just retired, the practice Nurse can also do it... he can also get his local Jobcenter + to sign the photos all he needs to do is take his birth certificate and his passport to any Jobcenter and give them his NINO and his passport and birth certificate and they will do it... I used to work for DHSS and Jobcenter+ and we used to do it all the time for people, Civil Servent is one of the listed people who can sign....

Kez

Edited by Kezzie

This one Kinda has me stumped im reading the ACRO form as im filing it soon and i cant see anywhere on the form that it says you have to have known the person for two years?? or is it just me?

21-01-08 Found Sponsor UIL

12-02-08 Requested Affadavits of Bona Fide marriage from freinds

04-03-08 1st affadavit received

07-03-08 2nd Affadavit received

11-03-083rd Affadavit received

12-03-08 Our affadavit notarised

13-03-08 I-130 Posted DCF london Embassy

15-03-08 Application rejected (Rejection was due to lack of evidence of DW permission to work and live in the uk which they had already and eveidence we had been living in the country permanently for the last six months)

17-03-08 Re submitted I-130 and G-325a's DCF to london along with supporting evidence.

04-04-08 Credit Card Billed NOA1

05-04-08 Email received confirming File date 4th of April

09-04-08 Evidence received back along with Affidavit of bona-fide marriage

21-04-08 Applied for Police certificate from the Gardaí

31-05-08 Received Police Clearance from the Gardai

19-06-08 1400hrs sent application for Police clearance certs ACRO

19-06-08 1401hrs Realised i hadnt put in copies of bills and passport so posted them in a separate envelope

20-06-08 Received phone call asking for copies of bills and passport

28-06-08 Received ACRO police cert and RFE for Affadavits ####### see 09-04-08. Sent original affadavits

09-07-08 NOA2 Received :)109 Days from filing

11-07-08 Packet 3 Received

14-07-08 Posted DS-230 waiting on Birth Certificate (long)

11-08-08 Visa Interview APPROVED

12-08-08 Medical at 0850

19-08-08 Visa in hand

05-12-08 Arrive in Twin Cities (Provisional)

hehe yeah but mines an old one its not on there. Just went to the website and sure enough there it is. Good job i saw this i was going to get a copper to do it for me.

21-01-08 Found Sponsor UIL

12-02-08 Requested Affadavits of Bona Fide marriage from freinds

04-03-08 1st affadavit received

07-03-08 2nd Affadavit received

11-03-083rd Affadavit received

12-03-08 Our affadavit notarised

13-03-08 I-130 Posted DCF london Embassy

15-03-08 Application rejected (Rejection was due to lack of evidence of DW permission to work and live in the uk which they had already and eveidence we had been living in the country permanently for the last six months)

17-03-08 Re submitted I-130 and G-325a's DCF to london along with supporting evidence.

04-04-08 Credit Card Billed NOA1

05-04-08 Email received confirming File date 4th of April

09-04-08 Evidence received back along with Affidavit of bona-fide marriage

21-04-08 Applied for Police certificate from the Gardaí

31-05-08 Received Police Clearance from the Gardai

19-06-08 1400hrs sent application for Police clearance certs ACRO

19-06-08 1401hrs Realised i hadnt put in copies of bills and passport so posted them in a separate envelope

20-06-08 Received phone call asking for copies of bills and passport

28-06-08 Received ACRO police cert and RFE for Affadavits ####### see 09-04-08. Sent original affadavits

09-07-08 NOA2 Received :)109 Days from filing

11-07-08 Packet 3 Received

14-07-08 Posted DS-230 waiting on Birth Certificate (long)

11-08-08 Visa Interview APPROVED

12-08-08 Medical at 0850

19-08-08 Visa in hand

05-12-08 Arrive in Twin Cities (Provisional)

He must be registed with a GP.... his GP's office will sign it for him even if the actual GP is new or in his case just retired, the practice Nurse can also do it... he can also get his local Jobcenter + to sign the photos all he needs to do is take his birth certificate and his passport to any Jobcenter and give them his NINO and his passport and birth certificate and they will do it... I used to work for DHSS and Jobcenter+ and we used to do it all the time for people, Civil Servent is one of the listed people who can sign....

Kez

Good idea - I'm going to suggest the Jobcenter.

He actually has no idea who is GP is now. But he does need to go to the office to get his medical and vaccine records. I'm gong to tell him to just ask the nurse there.

Going to call him now. :)

AND.... I just noticed I spelled ACRO as "APCO" LOL!! I wonder where I got THAT from?? :wacko:

Edited by psiprez

--------------------

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

Filed: Other Timeline
Doesn't he have a dentist?

In case you haven't noticed.... he's British. :lol:

And no, no chemist, no minister.

I felt awful and distrustful doing so, but I went so far as to ask if there was something he was hiding from me (as in, a police record). Thankfully he didn't get upset, and thankfully he isn't hiding anything.

I'm sure it will get done. I'm also sure it will add a month to our timeline. And I'm sure I will go insane trying not to nag him to get it done.

Just to be sure... do you need to send the police certificate back with Packet 3, or do you just need to bring it to the interview?

Ok no chemist, no minister....but he went to school.

Sounds to me like he thinks it's a stupid requirement (which it is) and he just doesn't want to be bothered. I have to admit though, you're handling it a lot better than I would.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
He actually has no idea who is GP is now. But he does need to go to the office to get his medical and vaccine records. I'm gong to tell him to just ask the nurse there.

I've recently registered with what was my original childhood GP surgery and had to take along my passport as proof of identity.. so there is no problem with them signing off my photos for me (when I get around to getting them done). Any GP who has been with the surgery for more than two years ought to be fine to sign them as they will know of him from a professional point of view.

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.