iamsam

N-400 Documentation

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing good. I'm getting ready to submit my N-400 (married to a US citizen for 3 years) and I was wondering: apart from the documentation listed on the USCIS website, should I send in more "stuff"? If so, should I use the things I sent in for Removal of Conditional Status (I-751, I believe) AND more recent documentation?

What have your experiences been? If sending in only what USCIS states on their webpage, have they asked for more?

Thanks in advance!

We sent in exactly what the USCIS asked for on their webpage, not one bit more, and we got a very quick response with an interview scheduled.

In the form letter for the interview appointment, they request bringing some more things, including the US Citizen's birth certificate (this is the first time during the whole process we've needed that particular document).

We'll bring lots of stuff to the interview just in case, including a copy of our I-751 filing, plus similar documents covering more recent time periods, but I really don't expect much will be needed. If they don't ask for it, it stays in the briefcase.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing good. I'm getting ready to submit my N-400 (married to a US citizen for 3 years) and I was wondering: apart from the documentation listed on the USCIS website, should I send in more "stuff"? If so, should I use the things I sent in for Removal of Conditional Status (I-751, I believe) AND more recent documentation?

What have your experiences been? If sending in only what USCIS states on their webpage, have they asked for more?

Thanks in advance!

We sent in exactly what they asked for on the N400. But when we went to the interview we brought updated versions of the stuff we sent in for I-751. In fact, the copies of the utility bills were the only thing they kept.

--------------------

Naturalization Timeline

28 JUL 2007 - Sent N-400 and supporting documentation

20 AUG 2007 - Bank Website indicates check has been cashed

15 NOV 2007 - Received NOA

28 NOV 2007 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter

18 DEC 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

14 MAR 2008 - Received Interview Appointment letter

05 APR 2008 - Interview (Baltimore) SUCCESS!!

14 APR 2008 - Citizenship Oath

17 APR 2008 - Applied for US Passport

03 May 2008 - US Passport Received!!!

**Any comments or advice given by me is based on the circumstances of my specific case, and does not infer an in-depth knowledge of immigration law.**

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We sent in exactly what the USCIS asked for on their webpage, not one bit more, and we got a very quick response with an interview scheduled.

In the form letter for the interview appointment, they request bringing some more things, including the US Citizen's birth certificate (this is the first time during the whole process we've needed that particular document).

We'll bring lots of stuff to the interview just in case, including a copy of our I-751 filing, plus similar documents covering more recent time periods, but I really don't expect much will be needed. If they don't ask for it, it stays in the briefcase.

The instructions initially request the US Citizen's birth certificate, so we did send that in already. Including everything else they asked for and about 4 additional documents (car title, copy of insurance, etc.)

The instructions initially request the US Citizen's birth certificate, so we did send that in already.

Nitpick: In the N-400 instructions, they only request proof of citizenship for the US Citizen, similar to what they request for the I-130 or I-129F. A birth certificate can be one perfectly good way to fulfill this requirement, assuming the citizen was born in the US. But in our case, we've always submitted the US Citizen's passport as proof of citizenship, from the initial I-129F/I-130 and everything since.

In the checklist that comes with the interview letter, they explicitly request the US Citizen's birth certificate. This marks the first time during the entire proces when we've had to dig up this particular document.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Nitpick: In the N-400 instructions, they only request proof of citizenship for the US Citizen, similar to what they request for the I-130 or I-129F. A birth certificate can be one perfectly good way to fulfill this requirement, assuming the citizen was born in the US. But in our case, we've always submitted the US Citizen's passport as proof of citizenship, from the initial I-129F/I-130 and everything since.

In the checklist that comes with the interview letter, they explicitly request the US Citizen's birth certificate. This marks the first time during the entire proces when we've had to dig up this particular document.

Why do they need all that info on the US Citizen when the US Citizen is no longer needed for the alien to naturalize?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

THe requirement is that in order to get the 3 year naturalization, the alien must have been married to a US Citizen for 3 years and that person must have been a US CItizen for the same three years. A passport does not establish the date the USC spouse got their citizenship. A BC or naturalization certificate does, which is why they require it.

If one would have waited the typical 5 years, information in regards to the USC spouse would not be required at all.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.