Mickitwin

Bringing Pets From the UK

195 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Continental don't allow pets in the cabin from Manchester, I can tell you that as lacking any straight answers I went to the airport and asked them directly.

I had to take my cat to Heathrow on a Virgin train, but they do cheap deals from Manchester.

I can honestly say that while United Airlines were my only option for the price, if you can afford it don't fly with them because they really did not care when my second flight was cancelled and they did not want to prioritise me for the good of the animal - made me stand in a queue for rebooking that took 2 hours to get to the front of - by that point of course there were no flights left and they really did not give a damn. The only reason I was last in the awful 2 hour queue for rebooking was because of their screw-up, they let people on our flight then of course would not let us off until finally confirming it was cancelled - by that point the entire airport was queued at the rescheduling desk, I was last in line because I waited patiently for everyone to leave the plane before getting off with the bulky cat carrier.

Plenty of seats in first class - did they care to upgrade me? No. Did they care to have a hotel available during emergency situations, despite freak weather being common in the USA in summer? No. All fully booked. Fully booked BEFORE the flight cancellations. If flight cancellations are so common, why the hell don't they have a hotel available for United travellers? I'd gladly pay the extra fee for the emergency.

Then I missed my rescheduled flight with Delta that United set up because United did not care to tell Delta I had a cat despite me insisting they check with Delta. The process of rebooking the cat took too long, I missed the plane - Delta were rude to me, United were just as rude when I went to the desk to reschedule AGAIN. Saying it was not their fault that I missed the plane etc. Fortunately a seat had opened up on the next United flight. Or rather, 4 seats opened up. It was only when I got to the departure lounge that I realised they had not assigned me a seat and they had given about 30 other people a theoretical seat on the plane. I only got on it because I stood at the desk as SOON as I realised, 5 minutes after that the lady called for everyone with an unconfirmed seat to come queue for allocation. I was first in line. My question is, if there are 4 seats why give a theoretical seat to 30 odd people and why not prioritise animals, when they certainly prioritise kids - kids can eat in airport restaurants, use the toilets and aren't packed in a tiny carrier.

I honestly think if it had been an extra day I'd have been in serious trouble, the cat was panting severely when we got out at Miami and passing out on my knee on the way home without waking when his name was called - seriously scary. Easily fixed with food and water but he hadn't wanted to eat until the point I could finally let him out of the carrier. Be warned that United do not care at all about your pet. If you can get a direct flight, get a direct flight, if you can not get a direct flight, arrange on the web with a pet friendly person who can put you up if anything like this nightmare scenario happens. United will not bump you in the queue for rescheduling, they will not provide food for the pet, they will not provide a hotel if you get stuck.

Also, if you get rescheduled and your cat is quiet it's better to smuggle them on the plane than open your mouth and tell them. Stick a coat over the carrier, walk nonchalantly on the plane. I actually did this on the second united flight. Why? Well the guy who gave me the rebooking told me "They don't know you have a pet as it's short notice, but if they give you trouble tell them to ring the United desk and I'll OK it." When all those people got behind me for rescheduling, I thought "yeah, balls to that." I figured if I was going to cause them extra work my seat would just be given to somebody else rather than them going through the hassle of ringing the front desk. I threw a coat over the carrier and got on the plane. Don't care if I did wrong, my cat was suffering.

• 3 months later...

We will bring 3 pets with us, a dog, a cat & a rabbit.

Did anyone ever bring a rabbit over?

IR1/CR1 Visa - DCF at London Embassy

April 16, 2013: Mailed out I-130

April 18, 2013: Date Petition filed
May 13, 2013: APPROVED!
May 22, 2013: Case Number received
June 3, 2013: Mailed out DS-230 & DS-2001
June 4, 2013: Medical Exam at Bentick Mansion
Unfortunately I have to re-do it in 6 + weeks as I was diagnosed with pneumonia
June 22, 2013 I traveled to the USA with the plan of returning to the UK, spoke to a Immigration lawyer and he told me to change my status and go the AOS route.
Since 2014 I am a permanent resident.

• 1 month later...

I just flew with my dog on the 10th November 2011. I chose American airlines, because of bringing him, they were really helpful. We chose the airport for the POE based on temperatures, as, if it is too hot or cold, they will not take animals, and you wont know this till the day! LA seemed the best one, for my journey.

I booked him to go, but again you don't pay until the day. I got a cage off of a website (140 pounds), made sure I had everything. I needed a health certificate, but not a rabies shot. I wasn't up to date on my vaccinations, but they did not seem worried about it. Arrived on the day, with Alex. He is a German Shepard, so I couldn't put him in the cage in the car, but did so in the car park! I took him to the AA check in, in terminal 3 at Heathrow, and checked him in, paid $175.00! I arrived 3 hours before my flight and was pleased i did, it took 45 minutes to check Alex in! He was quiet..didn't bark at all. After we got checked in, I took him outside for a walk, until about an hour before the flight.

I took Alex who was inside the cage, to the area for over-sized baggage, where i had to remove him, so security could check the cage, then they check his collar, and he was put back inside.

We then flew the 10 hours or so. When I finally saw him after my POE he was perfectly happy, excited to see me! I took him outside in LA, they have a dog area there, which he christened almost on cue! Welcome to America Alex!

A few hours later, we took a connecting flight to Vegas, no problems at all.

Total cost , under 300 pounds!

Total experience - 10 / 10

July 2010 - Hubby and our children moved back to USA (for work etc)

Nov 2010 - Visited for 3 weeks (it hurts like mad to be away from them)

June 2011 - visited for 4 weeks

26th June 2011 -I-130 Express Mail to Chicago

28th June 2011- I-130 Chicago signed for package

12th July - Returned to UK..

29th June 2011 - USCIS informed me Noa1 mailed on 29th June

2nd July 2011 - Touched

8th August 2011 - Expedite approved

12th August 2011 - Touched

12th August 2011 - The dreaded RFE!

9th September 2011 - RFE received by CSC - being reviewed!

13th September 2011 - USCIS approved

19th September 2011 - NVC received file.

4th October 2011 - NVC # assigned, emailed dob amendment email (amended now), emailed DS-3032, Logged into payment portal (not invoiced), booked medical - 20th October

5th October 2011 - Emailed expedite

6th October 2011 - 2 emails from NVC (expedite and ds-3032 responses)

- SIF at payment portal.

7th October 2011 - expedite approved

12th October 2011 - case left NVC (nice birthday present!)

13th October 2001 - case arrived in UK

20th October 2011 - Medical - passed

24th October 2011 - DS-230 & DS-2001 received by Embassy

3rd November 2011 - interview - approved

4th November 2011 - text message from courier, saying they are delivering on Monday

7th November 2011 - Visa received

10th November 2011 - POE - LA

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm intrigued. I usually fly with United and wondered if anyone had taken their rabbit with them? My dad politely informed me that it would cost more than the rabbit was worth which is probably true, but it would be nice to get a rough estimate.

14/01/2012: Mailed off I-129F

20/01/2012: NOA1

19/06/2012: NOA2 (no RFEs)

26/07/2012: Medical

02/10/2012: Interview Date - approved!

25/10/2012: POE - Chicago O'Hare

24/01/2013: Applied for AOS/EAD/AP

19/03/2013: EAD/AP approved

21/03/2013: AOS interview scheduled for 24/04/2013

24/04/2013: Interview - Approved!

11/05/2013: Green Card received.

event.png

I'm intrigued. I usually fly with United and wondered if anyone had taken their rabbit with them? My dad politely informed me that it would cost more than the rabbit was worth which is probably true, but it would be nice to get a rough estimate.

I'd keep my rabbit in cabin with me. They're very nervous animals and baggage/cargo might be a deadly amount of stress for a bunny. I have never flown United for international flights but have flown my cat in cabin with them probably 20+ times domestically and have always had a really good experience. When the flights were not full, the attendants even shared a snack box with Phoebe and let me keep her carrier on the seat. She's a seasoned traveler and has a bunch of "wings" pinned to her carrier lol.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Justin & I have been looking for ways to get our collie from NY to ID and this thread reminded me of some points that may be of use for VJ'ers.

United have merged with Continental so you have to abide by their pet rules & regs and it will generally cost more to fly your pet with them. USAirways will no longer take animals in cargo as of the end of this month I think. Some airlines wont take live animals at all any more.

And with regards to weather, check your airlines pet policies as most airlines will have a 'winter weather embargo' or a 'summer weather embargo'. The airline will list specifically which states this applies to flying from and to and it really is worth checking.

event.png

• 9 months later...

Hey everyone, does anyone have experience recently flying with a rabbit in cabin, I know a lot of airlines changed their policy and no longer allow pets in cabin internationally. I do have hope with united airlines, whom I need to call....ill be flying from Heathrow, London to Newark USA, is like to think it'll be ok but any advice would be great, thanks :)

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I would strongly reccomend Lufthansa for dogs and cats - they are extremely professional, still allow smaller animals in cabin international and are the most fairly priced airline. My cat flew to DC with me a few months ago and it was very easy!

I would strongly reccomend Lufthansa for dogs and cats - they are extremely professional, still allow smaller animals in cabin international and are the most fairly priced airline. My cat flew to DC with me a few months ago and it was very easy!

I just called Virgin and they quoted me £375 for my cat which is the minimum cost (i estimated travel date as sep-dec) so must range on time of year you are travelling too. They only accept IATA approved carriers and she recommended Atlas, and Pet Mates

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Timeline

I just called Virgin and they quoted me £375 for my cat which is the minimum cost (i estimated travel date as sep-dec) so must range on time of year you are travelling too. They only accept IATA approved carriers and she recommended Atlas, and Pet Mates

That's a good quote especially as it will be a direct flight. Lufthansa is cheaper but will involve a change in Frankfurt or Munich (70 euros in cabin/ 150 euros in hold). IATA regulations too but nobody really checked this and neither did they check my cats documents in the uk or USA. Does your cat have a EU pet passport? If not I would recommend starting that process now - rabies jab is definitely reccomended! We purchased the Vari Kennel - which was great.

That's a good quote especially as it will be a direct flight. Lufthansa is cheaper but will involve a change in Frankfurt or Munich (70 euros in cabin/ 150 euros in hold). IATA regulations too but nobody really checked this and neither did they check my cats documents in the uk or USA. Does your cat have a EU pet passport? If not I would recommend starting that process now - rabies jab is definitely reccomended! We purchased the Vari Kennel - which was great.

Thanks for your advice how do I go about getting the pet passport? Is it a long process then?

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Timeline

Thanks for your advice how do I go about getting the pet passport? Is it a long process then?

Its fairly easy - allow at least a month before you wish to travel. Find out if your Vet is licenced to produce the EU passport - if so, you can book your cat in for his/her jabs. He/She will need to have a chip and a rabies jab which needs to be administered AT LEAST three weeks before travel and all regular immunisations should be upto date. The vet will produce a EU passport.

In order to travel - the Vet will need to stamp and sign the certificate of health section in the back of the passport not more than 10 days before travel. All major carriers accept the EU passport.

You can take your cat without the passport but you will still need to have a rabies jab and obtain a certificate of health (fit to travel). The cost of which is often more than getting a EU passport. And the benefit of obtaining the passport is that should you need to bring the cat back to the UK, it will be easier as long as the Rabies jab is kept upto date.

If you have any questions please do feel free to send me a message :)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Thank you for all the precious informations. :thumbs:

NOA1 August 6 2012
NOA2 April 16 2013

NVC April 22 2013

Packet 3 received May 25th 2013

Interview July 11th 2013

I'm not a reference between packet 3 and 4. Some papers were missing so things were delayed.

Approved
See Timeline for update

RFE another child to add delays the case

Green Card received 18 July 2014 Almost a year! :(

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have spent all day on the phone with shipping companies to get quotes for moving Storm.

Funny thing... many companies on google say they are IPATA registered but do not appear here http://www.ipata.org/search-on-line-for-a-pet-shipper So I only took companies from this list.

2 failed my 'phone test' - i.e. seemed to give conflicting information etc.

3 passed with flying colours, seemed very concerned with his welfare & my happiness

The rest were just business like.

Waiting for a barrage of emails and phone calls over the following few days.

Due to the size/weight of my dog, most airlines won't allow him to fly as excess baggage - so we are looking at companies only.

I'll let you know how it goes.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.