jeffcloe

Discrepancies In Documents

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone, thanks for welcoming us here and thanks for all who gave and still sharing their sincere opinions on the first topic I posted, would like to inform that we thought the lawyer filed it in Vermont but actually petition was filed in California (which I think is much much slower than Vermont).

I am posting a new topic about Discrepancies in Documents. In my birth certificate, one letter is wrong with my surname, instead ...riga... (which is the correct spelling) I have ...rega... on my birth certificate. When I applied for my passport years ago I had it corrected (in my passport) since I supported it with a notarized affidavit of discrepancy.

Before sending my documents to my fiance in the USA, I asked the lawyer if I need to get a notarized affidavit of discrepancy, and he said there's no need to submit that but I was asked attached a copy of my passport.

I only want to know if there are anyone in here who has same issues like this and have done their applications, I want to know if it will become a big deal later on and slower the process of the application.

Thank you so much, God bless us all.

For we walk by faith, not by sight.

II Corinthians 5:7

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife had a somewhat similar problem - Her baptismal certificate - they need this when applying for the Visa; had her name spelled incorrectly also. She had to go get it corrected and take a corrected baptismal certificate to the embassy - she was able to get it done through the notaries etc. in her home town. This was in Colombia - Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone, thanks for welcoming us here and thanks for all who gave and still sharing their sincere opinions on the first topic I posted, would like to inform that we thought the lawyer filed it in Vermont but actually petition was filed in California (which I think is much much slower than Vermont).

I am posting a new topic about Discrepancies in Documents. In my birth certificate, one letter is wrong with my surname, instead ...riga... (which is the correct spelling) I have ...rega... on my birth certificate. When I applied for my passport years ago I had it corrected (in my passport) since I supported it with a notarized affidavit of discrepancy.

Before sending my documents to my fiance in the USA, I asked the lawyer if I need to get a notarized affidavit of discrepancy, and he said there's no need to submit that but I was asked attached a copy of my passport.

I only want to know if there are anyone in here who has same issues like this and have done their applications, I want to know if it will become a big deal later on and slower the process of the application.

HI Cleo, we got same worry as of now. I just noticed it last night that my name on my 2nd daughter's birth certificate was written as MA. instead of MARIA.since we have submitted already the I-129F, am worried that it might cause an RFE. I didn't send any supporting papers to attest I am MARIA since I just noticed it last night. Good for you coz you had your photocopied passport. Maybe I can anticipate by securing an affidavit of discrepancy and send it to my fiance.

Hope someone here would share on this similar case so we know what to do ahead of time.

Good luck and God bless!

Our Medical Experience

K1/K2 Interview Experience

glitterfy-flpbk9170423469534.gif

AOS/EAD/AP

09/11/09 *** Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

09/12/09 *** Received/signed by R.Mercado

09/17/09 *** NOA1 (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/21/09 *** NOA1 Hardcopy received (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/24/09 *** Biometrics Appointment Letter Rcvd 10/19, 11am

09/29/09 *** Appt. to correct typographic name error (referred for biometrics..done)

10/06/09 *** RFE: Form 1040 of recent tax yr

10/20/09 *** Processing resumed

10/21/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/22/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/27/09 *** Transferred to CSC (AOS)

10/28/09 *** Touched(AOS)

10/29/09 *** Notices sent: EAD card production, AP approved

10/30/09 *** Touched (EAD/AP)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AOS: processing resumes at CSC)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/03/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/04/09 *** AP approval letter received

11/03/09 *** Card production (EAD)

11/04/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/05/09 *** Touched (EAD)

11/06/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/07/09 *** EAD Card received

12/07/09 *** Welcome Notice mailed

12/08/09 *** Card production (AOS)

12/10/09 *** Approval notice mailed

12/12/09 *** GREEN CARD received

Timeline

Rather CLOE, I myself is mispelling your name.LOL.

Our Medical Experience

K1/K2 Interview Experience

glitterfy-flpbk9170423469534.gif

AOS/EAD/AP

09/11/09 *** Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

09/12/09 *** Received/signed by R.Mercado

09/17/09 *** NOA1 (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/21/09 *** NOA1 Hardcopy received (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/24/09 *** Biometrics Appointment Letter Rcvd 10/19, 11am

09/29/09 *** Appt. to correct typographic name error (referred for biometrics..done)

10/06/09 *** RFE: Form 1040 of recent tax yr

10/20/09 *** Processing resumed

10/21/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/22/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/27/09 *** Transferred to CSC (AOS)

10/28/09 *** Touched(AOS)

10/29/09 *** Notices sent: EAD card production, AP approved

10/30/09 *** Touched (EAD/AP)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AOS: processing resumes at CSC)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/03/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/04/09 *** AP approval letter received

11/03/09 *** Card production (EAD)

11/04/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/05/09 *** Touched (EAD)

11/06/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/07/09 *** EAD Card received

12/07/09 *** Welcome Notice mailed

12/08/09 *** Card production (AOS)

12/10/09 *** Approval notice mailed

12/12/09 *** GREEN CARD received

Timeline

I also had the same problem,when we filed for K1,i have just attached a copy of a notarized affidavit of discrepancy since my application for RA9048 is not done yet at that time but i'm going to bring my annotated birth certificate when my interview comes.

I had the one letter error corrected on my surname,also,my bc has no Ma. and since i'm using Ma. in all my pertinent records i had it included.It took me a total of 4 mos to get the copy of my annotated BC.

Edited by josephandbheng

Timeline

I also had the same problem,when we filed for K1,i have just attached a copy of a notarized affidavit of discrepancy since my application for RA9048 is not done yet at that time but i'm going to bring my annotated birth certificate when my interview comes.

I had the one letter error corrected on my surname,also,my bc has no Ma. and since i'm using Ma. in all my pertinent records i had it included.It took me a total of 4 mos to get the copy of my annotated BC.

Hi, I have just one question, even if I only have one wrong letter on my BC I still need to get my annotated BC? Can you share the process you've been through with your annotated BC, thanks... If I need that I think I should be doing it now.

Thanks for that very informative message.

FYI- USCIS does not look at the documents as closely as we assume they do.

After we were already approved, and I was filling out the interview forms, I noticed about 4 mistakes/typos on our original petition that I sent out:

For her ex-husband's date of death, I wrote 5/3/2000, and the death certificate (which I included) said something like 7/15/2000. I screwed up her date of marriage too. One of her daughter's birtdates was off by a day.

I don't know how the hell we got approved. :bonk:

I have discrepancy too but on my Middle Name. When I'm processing for my passport, the DFA asked me to get an affidavit of discrepancy but still the DFA followed the spelling on my birth certificate which is the misspelled Middle Name. I suggest that whatever written on your passport, that should be the one followed whenever you make any other transactions or whatever purposes.

Cos recently, I was having a problem about getting SSS ID. It's already my turn to have pic taken but unfortunately they asked me to change the spelling of my Middle Name on the SSS application form which is the right spelling and needed to follow the spelling on my passport. SO, i have no choice but to fill-up another form to change my Middle Name this time the wrong spelling... :lol: so since then, I decided to just use the misspelled Middle Name since it's the spelling written on the passport.

WHAT'S WRITTEN ON YOUR PASSPORT, THAT SHOULD BE THE ONE FOLLOWED. Especially when you're going to fill out DS-156.

Goodluck and God bless.

RM

9609146D057AA80CDF2E2C50BA3CBB48.png

Timeline
I have discrepancy too but on my Middle Name. When I'm processing for my passport, the DFA asked me to get an affidavit of discrepancy but still the DFA followed the spelling on my birth certificate which is the misspelled Middle Name. I suggest that whatever written on your passport, that should be the one followed whenever you make any other transactions or whatever purposes.

Cos recently, I was having a problem about getting SSS ID. It's already my turn to have pic taken but unfortunately they asked me to change the spelling of my Middle Name on the SSS application form which is the right spelling and needed to follow the spelling on my passport. SO, i have no choice but to fill-up another form to change my Middle Name this time the wrong spelling... :lol: so since then, I decided to just use the misspelled Middle Name since it's the spelling written on the passport.

WHAT'S WRITTEN ON YOUR PASSPORT, THAT SHOULD BE THE ONE FOLLOWED. Especially when you're going to fill out DS-156.

Goodluck and God bless.

RM

Hi RM, how are you?

Uhmmm my case is a little different from yours, when I applied for passport I had to bring affidavit of Discrepancy, the mistake on my BC is in my surname, then when I got my passport they had it corrected, since then every time I renew my passport I always get the correct spelling of my surname, but my BC still is in the wrong spelling, I heard someone said BC can be fix but I am not sure, but if CSC will ask for just Affidavit Of Discrepancy I have that ready already.

Thanks for sharing that, goodluck and God bless us all

Timeline
Hi, I have just one question, even if I only have one wrong letter on my BC I still need to get my annotated BC? Can you share the process you've been through with your annotated BC, thanks... If I need that I think I should be doing it now.

Thanks for that very informative message.

Hi,regarding your question,i was told by my friend that she just submitted a notarized affidavit of discrepancy when they filed their k1 petition and she brought the same affidavit when she went to her interview and she got approved without having problem.

i have just corrected mine because of the thought that what happened to others might not happen to me since evey consul has different moods or point of view.also,since im done with my annulment and i'll change my passport likewise my IDs from married back to my single name,might as well correct everything.another thing is that,i've been using my name with Ma. in all my pertinent records,i dont want to have problems in the future that they might ask me why im using Ma. where there's nothing written on my BC likewise with the one letter error on it.

regarding RA9048,i just went to Manila local civil registry,they gave me a list of documents to gather like TOR,form 137,certified true copy both of my MC and BC,voter's registration.they had me signed an affidavit and had it notarized,since i'll be adding Ma. on my name,i had it published for 2 consecutive weeks in a local newspaper and after i got the certification of publication,i had it submitted together with all the requirements,paid at the cashier and was asked to make a follow up after 90 days.it was only after almost 4mos that i got my finality,included in the finality arethe certification that the petition for the correction/change of name has been granted,certified true copy of my BC with remarks(proper annotation) on it,and brought it to NSO east avenue Area B,after 2 weeks,i got my annotated copy of my BC.

hope this helps.you can pm me if you have question regarding this matter and i'll be glad to help :)

good luck on your journey.God bless

Edited by ManilaIdaho

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.