hancock

"Current Status" question on I-485

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks a lot for the all information.

But, I am really confused. Everybody gives different answer. I decided put "out of status" for current status but I have no idea what I am going to put for expires on? If somebody has experience with these two questions: on form I-485 "current USCIS status" and also "expires on". What should I write? Any help from those of you who has gone through it will be great.

:help:

If she is out of status she shouldn't even apply for AP because she won't be able to use it... If she leaves the country she may trigger the ban (3 or 10 years, depending on how long she overstayed)

My wife is not planning to travel. the CIS customet service told me that the fee for filing I-485 includes AP anyways, can be used in case of an emergency. Since she over stayed, then she should apply for a waiver of inadmisability to be able to come back. She is not planning on traveling anyways.

My dilema is answering some of the questions on these forms.

I should put Current USCIS status: (out of status) ? and what should I put for Expires on:( ) ?

On the form I-485 Part 2 application type, I marked box (h) other basis of eligibilty, and filled in the blank as following : Adjustment of status through marriage to a naturalized US citizen or I am a spouse of a US citizen... do you think this is acceptable?

I can't wait until this is over and be done with it. It is too stressful to fill out and navigate these forms.

Any help from those of you who has gone through it will be great.

I would put status: out of status, expires on: out of status. That's what's going to make the most sense. Are you a USC? Then your wife would fill out the 2nd part as: (h) Adjustment of Status based on a marriage to a USC.

Good luck!

Thanks again.

Cool, now back to the original question:

My question is the following:

Part 1 of form I-485 asks for "Current USCIS status" and also for "expiration on" date.

What should we enter on each question? My wife came in as J1 (no 2yr req) and completed her au pair program last year.

her visa expiration date is aug 2008 and her I-94 has no expiration but rather a D/S.

Thank you In advance.

Your status is J-1, expiration date is D/S (duration of status). Make sure that her DS 2019 (the white form that was attached to her passport thet was stamped by the Immigration officer at the Point of Entry) also states "2 year rule does not apply" or "not subject to the two year residence requirement". Her visa might say that but this form must also say that.

If you have more questions about the D/S status I have a lot of info about it from my attorney.

Thanks for the information. I am still puzzeled because my wife does not have any white paper from the immigration officer at port of entry. All she has is the visa in her passport plus an I-94 which states a date of arrival (she took a short trip back to her country while her visa was current, came back on 6/2004) but initial visa issue date is 1/2004 which means it will expire 1/2005. They gave her this I-94 upon arrival back from her trip. So some people tell me to put (out of status as current status) and some says put (green card applicant) and others says put (j-1)

Again, no one clearely told me what would be the best answer, plus I still do not know if I should leave the question (expires on: ) blank or put the date the visa expired on which was 1/2005.

Also, I would likek to know if I should include my form G-325A (biographic info) together with my wife attached to the I-130 form, plus adding it to form I485 form. Like i said earlier I am sending the whole package for the first time including I-130 and green card, travel document, EAD and affidavit of support.

Finally, what is the norm as far as putting the package together. I mean when you put all the completed forms in 1 envelop, is there a right order too do that and can I staple individual forms and then clip them with each other as a package. Any suggestions/

Greatly appreciate all you guys help.

Since your wife has finished her exchange program a couple of years ago (I assume from the dates you are giving) she is "out of status". She would remain to be in J-1 status if she was continuing to work within the J-1 exchange program (which usually lasts 12 months plus one month for travel). If she has completed her program within the timeframe (those typical 12 months plus one for travel), and then stayed beyond that time she is out of status.

My wife is not planning to travel. the CIS customet service told me that the fee for filing I-485 includes AP anyways, can be used in case of an emergency. Since she over stayed, then she should apply for a waiver of inadmisability to be able to come back. She is not planning on traveling anyways.

My dilema is answering some of the questions on these forms. ( Do you have any idea on how to answer the other questions in mentioned earlier?)

I should put Current USCIS status: (out of status) ? and what should I put for Expires on:( ) ?

On the form I-485 Part 2 application type, I marked box (h) other basis of eligibilty, and filled in the blank as following : Adjustment of status through marriage to a naturalized US citizen or I am a spouse of a US citizen... do you think this is acceptable?

I can't wait until this is over and be done with it. It is too stressful to fill out and navigate these forms.

Thanks again.

Sorry I messed up the previous post. Again!

Status:out of status, expires on: out of status (that's what I would choose to write in there). Basis for eligibility: Marriage to a USC.

Thaks (Joanna & Bobby), it has been a great support, getting your input... again I feel lots of

Is there anyone out there who actually filed their application inserting (out of status) as current CIS status and it was acceptable by USCIS? if that is the case then i feel comfortable. If there is a better response, it would be better since I do not want CIS to return our applications, and delay it further.

My wife has been stuck at home for the past 3 and half years at home.

Just put the date when I-94 expires.

AOS

03/20/2008 Wedding

04/24/2008 I-130, I-485, I-765 sent to Chicago

05/01/2008 Notice Date (Day 6)

05/09/2008 Biometrics Notice in mail (for 05/22)

05/22/2008 Biometrics appointment (Day 27)

08/20/2008 EAD card received

09/26/2008 Interview Letter in mail (for 11/10)

11/10/2008 Interview (Day 199) APPROVED!

12/02/2008 Green Card received (Day 221)

ROC

09/20/2010 I-751 sent to California Service Center

09/21/2010 Notice Date (Day 1)

10/12/2010 Biometrics Notice in mail (for 11/03)

11/03/2010 Biometrics appointment (Day 44)

01/07/2011 APPROVED! (Day 109)

01/13/2011 Green Card received (Day 115)

.png

which is D/S?

Thanks a lot for the all information.

But, I am really confused. Everybody gives different answer. I decided put "out of status" for current status but I have no idea what I am going to put for expires on? If somebody has experience with these two questions: on form I-485 "current USCIS status" and also "expires on". What should I write? Any help from those of you who has gone through it will be great.

:help:

If she is out of status she shouldn't even apply for AP because she won't be able to use it... If she leaves the country she may trigger the ban (3 or 10 years, depending on how long she overstayed)

My dilema is answering some of the questions on these forms.

I would put status: out of status, expires on: out of status. That's what's going to make the most sense. Are you a USC? Then your wife would fill out the 2nd part as: (h) Adjustment of Status based on a marriage to a USC.

Good luck!

Thanks again.

Part 1 of form I-485 asks for "Current USCIS status" and also for "expiration on" date.

What should we enter on each question? My wife came in as J1 (no 2yr req) and completed her au pair program last year.

her visa expiration date is aug 2008 and her I-94 has no expiration but rather a D/S.

Thank you In advance.

Your status is J-1, expiration date is D/S (duration of status). Make sure that her DS 2019 (the white form that was attached to her passport thet was stamped by the Immigration officer at the Point of Entry) also states "2 year rule does not apply" or "not subject to the two year residence requirement". Her visa might say that but this form must also say that.

If you have more questions about the D/S status I have a lot of info about it from my attorney.

Thanks for the information. I am still puzzeled because my wife does not have any white paper from the immigration officer at port of entry. All she has is the visa in her passport plus an I-94 which states a date of arrival (she took a short trip back to her country while her visa was current, came back on 6/2004) but initial visa issue date is 1/2004 which means it will expire 1/2005. They gave her this I-94 upon arrival back from her trip. So some people tell me to put (out of status as current status) and some says put (green card applicant) and others says put (j-1)

Again, no one clearely told me what would be the best answer, plus I still do not know if I should leave the question (expires on: ) blank or put the date the visa expired on which was 1/2005.

Also, I would likek to know if I should include my form G-325A (biographic info) together with my wife attached to the I-130 form, plus adding it to form I485 form. Like i said earlier I am sending the whole package for the first time including I-130 and green card, travel document, EAD and affidavit of support.

Finally, what is the norm as far as putting the package together. I mean when you put all the completed forms in 1 envelop, is there a right order too do that and can I staple individual forms and then clip them with each other as a package. Any suggestions/

Greatly appreciate all you guys help.

Since your wife has finished her exchange program a couple of years ago (I assume from the dates you are giving) she is "out of status". She would remain to be in J-1 status if she was continuing to work within the J-1 exchange program (which usually lasts 12 months plus one month for travel). If she has completed her program within the timeframe (those typical 12 months plus one for travel), and then stayed beyond that time she is out of status.

My dilema is answering some of the questions on these forms. ( Do you have any idea on how to answer the other questions in mentioned earlier?)

Thanks again.

Sorry I messed up the previous post. Again!

Status:out of status, expires on: out of status (that's what I would choose to write in there). Basis for eligibility: Marriage to a USC.

Thaks (Joanna & Bobby), it has been a great support, getting your input... again I feel lots of

Is there anyone out there who actually filed their application inserting (out of status) as current CIS status and it was acceptable by USCIS? if that is the case then i feel comfortable. If there is a better response, it would be better since I do not want CIS to return our applications, and delay it further.

My wife has been stuck at home for the past 3 and half years at home.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Duration of Status, as long as you follow the requirements of your status, you are considered "in status" and able to stay.

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

I decided put "out of status" for current status but I have no idea what I am going to put for expires on? If somebody has experience with these two questions: on form I-485 "current USCIS status" and also "expires on". What should I write? Any help from those of you who has gone through it will be great.

If you decided to put "out of status", then the logical answer for "expires on" is "N/A". An "out of status" status does not really have a known expiration date, right? Being out of status technically "expires" when the applicant either receives a green card or leaves the US, but you can't really know when or if that will happen.

On another note: gosh, guys, can you please parse your quotes a little bit, so we don't have to navigate mile long posts consisting of quotes and re-quotes.

10-Apr-08...Filing date for I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

02-May-08...Biometrics

31-Jul-08...EAD Card received

15-Sep-08...Interview (APPROVED)

27-Sep-08...GC received

03-Aug-10...Filed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

06-Aug-10...NOA 1-yr Extension Letter

10-Sep-10...Biometrics

02-Dec-10...ROC approved! (Card production ordered)

Thank you In advance.

Hi there,

I am still not sure what should I write for current USCIS status on I 485 and what should I write for (Expires on: )

My wife has stayed beyond her authorized stay, in fact since 1/5/2005, what should I write in this situation?

Thanks

Out of status

N/A

10-Apr-08...Filing date for I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

02-May-08...Biometrics

31-Jul-08...EAD Card received

15-Sep-08...Interview (APPROVED)

27-Sep-08...GC received

03-Aug-10...Filed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

06-Aug-10...NOA 1-yr Extension Letter

10-Sep-10...Biometrics

02-Dec-10...ROC approved! (Card production ordered)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
Duration of Status, as long as you follow the requirements of your status, you are considered "in status" and able to stay.

D/S means that the "clock didn't start ticking" for the unlawful presence (which means that the 3 or 10 year ban does not apply if she leaves the country- unless an Immigration Judge or an immigration authority doesn't find a violation of status). Know that from personal experience!!!

Because she has completed her J-1 program whatever it was (au pair probably???), she is out of status. Out of status, but without what they call- overstay. She didn't maintain her status (which was working as an au pair for example), but she didn't overstay. It's crazy how this immigration stuff works...

Been there done that...

Out of status, expires either put N/A or out of status.

Edited by Joanna&Bobby

AOS Timeline begun!

AOS sent- June 26th 2008

NOA1- July 3rd

Touch- July 7th (check cashed)

Touch- July 8th

Biometrics notice received- July 14th (notice date- July 9th)

Biometrics Appointment- July 25th

Touch- July 25th

RFE e-mail notice- July 28th

RFE response sent- September 9th

RFE response received by USCIS and case processing resumed- September 12th

AOS Touch- September 18th

Transfer to CSC- September 26th

AOS Touch-September 29th

Received Transfer Letter in mail- October 2nd

AOS Touch- case pending at the office to which it was transferred- October 3rd

AOS Touch- October 6th

EAD Touch- October 29- CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED-yippeeeeeeeeee! I can get a drivers license

EAD Touch- November 3rd- Approval notice sent (JEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ RIGHT AFTER I WROTE THIS MY EAD CARD CAME IN MAIL!!!!!! I mean the Mailman brought it HOW WEIRD IS THAT???????????)

AOS Touch Dec 19th

AOS Touch Dec 21st

AOS APPROVED JAN 29th

Removing Conditions 12/16/2010- Application sent by certified mail

Approved 3/07/2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.