Scott&Angelyn

Fiance denied SSN!!!

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Might be just as easy to try the St. Paul office of SSA... that is the office we used

did you have that stamp on your I-94 too?...i think that is the stumbling block...the dinkus @ the border should never have stamped it that way...

the other problem is that my fiance took the afternoon off work to go to St Cloud...it's 45min away... and he's taken a lot of time off already as i'm sure you can understand...and i guess it's not as important as i thought?????...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
St. Cloud, MN?

yup...minnesota...all she saw was the stamp & she automatically said "We do not issue SSN for those who are not authorized to work"...and that she had turned away many Canadians with k-1 visas...like she deserved a badge or something...LOL...she did give me a letter saying why i was being denied in case anyone needed to know why...

i even called the office back in St. Cloud to cite what i found on their own website...and THAT lady said the same thing as the lady yesterday...i am not authorized to work due to the stamp on my I-94 and even pointed out that i am not a "citizen" and have no rights...nice huh?...basically you can't prove them wrong even with their own policy...she said that if i had a problem with their decision to call the DHS and have the I-94 changed...sure...right...okay...considering you can't even contact them...does it pay to fight it?...or will it just be me getting stressed out and running here and there and getting nowhere...i'm usually up for a fight but i'm tired of bureaucracy...LOL

I think if you go back you will do better. Make sure she has the original I-94 and passport and taking the birth certificate too wouldn't hurt.

Timeline
:angry:

my fiance tried to apply to get her SSN yesterday and was denied...her I-94 is stamped "EMPLOYMENT UNAUTHORIZED"...now they won't give her a SSN...unfortunately we forgot to take that sheet with us explaining that K-1 visa holders don't require specific permission for employment from DHS:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

she tried calling today...but they told her that because of the stamp she would have to contact DHS to have it changed...good luck...how do you contact an office or department that says you have to have an appt from INFOPASS and has no phone number listed?...our closest office is Bloomington, MN & there's no phone number...

ANYONE HAVE A NUMBER TO REACH THE IMMIGRATION DEPT OF DHS??????

HELP!!!!! how much of a setback is this???????????

thanks in advance for any advice!!!

p.s. we are getting married April 25, 2008 and want to file for AOS right away...does the fact that she doesn't have a SSN hurt her?...

How much longer is her I-94 valid? Sometimes if the I-94 is w/in two weeks of expireation, they can and will deny you the SS card, no matter what their policy states. You'll have to wait until she gets her GC to obtain the SS card. Otherwise, I would recommend going to a different SS office, w/ the DHS policy printed out, and trying your luck again.

Good luck,

-P

i only got here on April 1st...ha ha April Fools...so it's still good til June 30...it's the darn stamp that's on it...

thanks though... :)

Timeline

HA HA!!!!...somewhat vindicated!!...a guy from SSA Headquarters called me back and he said that the office in St Cloud should not have turned me away..that it's not their job to question the documents, just to file the papers if i have i.d. and my I-94...USCIS will verify whether or not my K-1 is valid and whether or not i am authorized to work...AT THE VERY LEAST THEY SHOULD HAVE FILED MY APPLICATION...he even did a 3-way call between himself, the lady @ St Cloud SSA and myself...so that it was understood that i would get my application filed and that they would not waste my time again...WOW...

hey girls & boys!!!...it pays to stand up for yourself...sometimes things do get attention quickly..even with the Government!!!!

Thank you to everyone who gave me support and advice today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck and best wishes to you all... (F)(L)(F)(L)(F)(L)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is kick-a** news! Way to get things done - bully for you!

I was worried they'd give my husband a hard time when he went on Monday - but it was not an issue, and he encountered well-informed employees. I want to get him on some of our bills, and many here won't allow that without a SSN.

Our journey:

4/30/08 - AOS/EAD/AP mailed to Chicago lockbox

5/1/08 - packaged rcvd at lockbox

5/8/08 - All 3 NOAs received (dated 5/6)

5/8/08 - check cashed

5/10/08 - Biometrics letter received

5/27/08 - Biometrics appointment

6/10/08 - case transferred to CSC - YAY!

7/11/08 - rcvd emails that EAD card ordered and AP approved!

7/18/08 - AP rcvd

7/19/08 - EAD rcvd

7/29/08 - received email: card production ordered

8/2/08 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED IN MAIL!!!

Timeline
St. Cloud, MN?

yup...minnesota...all she saw was the stamp & she automatically said "We do not issue SSN for those who are not authorized to work"...and that she had turned away many Canadians with k-1 visas...like she deserved a badge or something...LOL...she did give me a letter saying why i was being denied in case anyone needed to know why...

i even called the office back in St. Cloud to cite what i found on their own website...and THAT lady said the same thing as the lady yesterday...i am not authorized to work due to the stamp on my I-94 and even pointed out that i am not a "citizen" and have no rights...nice huh?...basically you can't prove them wrong even with their own policy...she said that if i had a problem with their decision to call the DHS and have the I-94 changed...sure...right...okay...considering you can't even contact them...does it pay to fight it?...or will it just be me getting stressed out and running here and there and getting nowhere...i'm usually up for a fight but i'm tired of bureaucracy...LOL

oh well...i was mainly concerned that i wouldn't be able to file for AOS without it...but i'm not going to sweat it...i'll concentrate on getting married...YAY!!!!...i should still be able to do the driver's license, bank account, etc without it...

I haven't applied for a SSN yet, but I am wondering if it is even worth it without EAD. Everything I have read, even on the application for a SSN says you need a valid non-work reason. I have been trying to figure out this question on another posting... here's a good link that was passed on... https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

Filed: Timeline
HA HA!!!!...somewhat vindicated!!...a guy from SSA Headquarters called me back and he said that the office in St Cloud should not have turned me away..that it's not their job to question the documents, just to file the papers if i have i.d. and my I-94...USCIS will verify whether or not my K-1 is valid and whether or not i am authorized to work...AT THE VERY LEAST THEY SHOULD HAVE FILED MY APPLICATION...he even did a 3-way call between himself, the lady @ St Cloud SSA and myself...so that it was understood that i would get my application filed and that they would not waste my time again...WOW...

That was very nice of that guy to do that. Probably not many people at SSA would bother to call you.

That was very nice of that guy to do that. Probably not many people at SSA would bother to call you.

Indeed.. I'm glad you got the problem sorted out for yah! :thumbs:

Edited by krakatoa

Timeline
St. Cloud, MN?

oh well...i was mainly concerned that i wouldn't be able to file for AOS without it...but i'm not going to sweat it...i'll concentrate on getting married...YAY!!!!...i should still be able to do the driver's license, bank account, etc without it...

I haven't applied for a SSN yet, but I am wondering if it is even worth it without EAD. Everything I have read, even on the application for a SSN says you need a valid non-work reason. I have been trying to figure out this question on another posting... here's a good link that was passed on... https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

the whole point is that a K-1 visa is one of the visas that is exempt from needing a reason to work...the K-1 comes under "Employment Authorization by Class of Admission"...that is in the following link...right from the "POMS" or policy manual of the SSA...

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

i think that i will try again to get into the office and apply, having to rely on rides from others at this point though...as it is, i won't have it in time to apply for AOS...so if i don't get back to the office it won't be the end of the world...although i would like to see that lady's face when i come in again...hee hee...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Very glad the office got put straight - hopefully it will help to ensure that other applicants don't get turned away!

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

it doen't matter whether you get SSN now or after marriage. I didn't get my either coz I've applied for it 2 weeks before my I-94 expired also here in MN. But she said that it won't matter if I get it after marriage. Though I've learned that government employees have no idea of what's going on and what to do! Thay are not really helpful :(

Anyway good luck to you and all the best!

Timeline
it doen't matter whether you get SSN now or after marriage. I didn't get my either coz I've applied for it 2 weeks before my I-94 expired also here in MN. But she said that it won't matter if I get it after marriage. Though I've learned that government employees have no idea of what's going on and what to do! Thay are not really helpful :(

Anyway good luck to you and all the best!

yeah it really doesn't matter when you get it as long as you get it right?...it just makes it easier to get some things done i think, like bank accts, driver's license, getting your name on bills etc...

some government employees have been great...some not so much...LOL...it's the same anywhere...

where in MN are you?...i am about 45 minutes West of Minneapolis/St Paul...nice to talk to someone who immigrated here!!

take care and good luck!!!

Timeline
:dance: Applied for SSN again @ St. Cloud office and they actually put my application through this time...no questions...the lady did make a comment that "if" i get it, it will take longer than usual...4 weeks instead of 2 and that if i didn't get it to take it up with Homeland Security in Bloomington...seemed like they were expecting me...wanted to know who i had e-mailed @ Headquarters...like i had a connection or something...LOL... :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.