lucky_enough

I had my K-1 Visa Interview today !!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hello Dear VJers,

Today was the big day of the K-1 Visa Interview for me at the US Embassy in Copenhagen. Lets see how it went.

My interview was at 2.00 pm. I took off from work early and reached the Embassy at 1.45 pm and I was told to come back at 2.00pm. So I just walked around with some butterflies in my stomach for 15 more minutes and I was there at the gate again at 2.00 pm.

I have been to the Embassy for my B1/B2 before so I knew about the security check and I did not bother to carry any electronics/cell phones/laptops etc. thus I was through security in 2 minutes.

The Security Guards told me to show up at Window 1 for Application Pre-Screening.

A Danish lady appeared at the window right away and asked for the following exactly in this order.

1. DS-156 -- 2 copies

2. DS-156K -- 2 copies

3. Birth Certificate -- Verified the copy with the original.

There is a little bit of info here. SInce I am an Indian citizen resident in Denmark, my Birth Certificate was Indian and in Indian BC the name of the child does not appear since names to children are given at a ceremony after 6 months of birth. So she asked me "Why does the BC does not have any name?" I provided the clarification and it was ok.

4. Police certificates -- 3 PCs -- Two from India, One from Denmark for the last year that I am staying here.

5. DS-157 -- 2 copies

6. DS-230 Part I and II -- 2 copies

7. Big One -- Affidavit of Support. Here is my gamble !! My fiance, her mom (and there was a problem with her mom's naturalization certificate so I didnt make it more complex) did not have enough income, her dad is retired. I thought I will take a chance and went as per the outlines of OF-167 sent to me in Packet 3.

I provided written declaration that I am responsible for my support and no one else.

APPLICANT's own funds

1 -- My Bank Of America Savings Account Balance for the past 3 years. I have worked there in USA for 2 years and I had this as my primary savings account all through even when i am working anywhere else. I requested my Bank to send me a written letter about the required balance details. I showed around 57854$ in savings which is more than 125% of the poverty level income for a year multiplied by 3.

2 -- Proof Of Ownership of Property in India. I own a home and I had the sale deed and mortgage papers and municipal valuation.

3 -- Valuation of my Stocks/Mutual Funds from India and US. The lady was impressed !!

4 -- My Life Insurance.

After seeing especially my stock portfolio valuation from my bank she told me "I think you will be okay". I thought so too, atleast until I can take up a job again which could be atleast a year. I have been working globally in IT Consulting and I think it will be just a matter of time before I take up another job.

When they accepted my Self Support documents, I had a winner right there and I really breathed a sigh of relief. For the first time I felt that I really had my "#### together"(American way).

Now comes the second part of the interview.

An American Lady shows up at the windows and calls me to the window.....says How r u blah blah blah. Then she gets me to sign both the DS-230 Part II under oath and DS-156K.

Then she started asking me questions.

1. Where did you meet your fiance the first time?

2. Have your parents met your fiance?

3. What do they have to say about you marrying an American woman?

4. What are you going to do in USA?

5. When did you propose to your fiance?

6. What does your fiance do for a living?

7. Where are you going to live in USA?

8. Do you have a date set for your wedding?

9. Where are you ging to have your marriage ceremony?

10. Do you have any pictures?

I asked her if she wanted to see our communication details like the emails and phone logs. She said "No its fine !!".

She was pleased with my answers and then she asked me "Do you think we are missing something here that you were told to bring?" I said I didnt think so !!

She told me that was it for today and kept my passport in her file. I asked her when can I expect my passport? She said I will have to discuss with my colleague if we are missing anything here and then we will send you the passport to your home address in Denmark. I said "Thank You !! have a good day" and left.

Now I have to wait and watch I guess when the passport comes back and of course who can forget the brown envelope. But that was my experience and I thought the embassy personnel were pretty helpful and friendly. The only annoying thing was some renovation was going on inside the embassy building where I was having my interview.So lets keep our fingers crossed and see what happens next.

Thanks for all your help guys !! Good luck to you all.

Excuse me if I have forgotten something here and there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
:thumbs: Good luck and fingers crossed you get your visa back stamped!!!!! :thumbs:

HIM, ME and BABY MAKES 3

"THE STRONGEST PEOPLE ARE NOT ALWAYS THE ONES WHO WIN, RATHER THE ONES THAT DO NOT GIVE UP WHEN THEY LOSE."

14 Feb08 Case number assigned

5JUN 08 Got visa

FLYS IN TO CHICAGO POE ON THE 15TH!!!

December 08 move to GERMANY

May2009 Start Case for Naturalization

14 SEPTEMBER 2009 Visa Journey is over!! Husband a US Citizen!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Good luck with the interview. :thumbs:

animated%20usa%20flag1.gifanimated%20thailand%20flag.gif

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=106...amp;ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/223365857736847/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411770628885582/

http://www.thaiworldnetwork.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.