Jschuurman

Montreal Consulate - Green Card processing times

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Where are you from? Just curious since Canadians aren't eligible for the GC lottery....

K1

------------------------------------

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd say 2-3 weeks, conservatively. It took less than one week for my husband to receive his CR1 visa, but that was because he lived in Montreal and dropped off the information in person and Canada Post took only one day to ship.

If you've kept the tracking number for your envelope, you can see if/when it was shipped.

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Filed: Other Timeline

Approaching 2 weeks and still no magic envelope from Montreal consulate.

Question: Is there another layer of post-interview screening/security checks that take place? I've been reading that some immigrant visa applicants qualify for so-called 'Administrative Processing' that adds to wait time.

But what exactly is Admin Processing ? FBI check ? Name check? Who gets flagged for AP ?

Filed: Timeline
Approaching 2 weeks and still no magic envelope from Montreal consulate.

Question: Is there another layer of post-interview screening/security checks that take place? I've been reading that some immigrant visa applicants qualify for so-called 'Administrative Processing' that adds to wait time.

But what exactly is Admin Processing ? FBI check ? Name check? Who gets flagged for AP ?

Admininstrative Processing would have happened before your approval. Since you have already been approved and they have retained your passport, it is highly unlikely you are now in AP. FBI namecheck is something that happens when you apply for adjustment of status (AOS) after you have entered the US. I have no idea whether greencard lottery winners are processed in the same way as family immigration visas. You might check to see if you can find a greencard lottery board to help you out with some of your questions. But definitely feel free to keep posting. I'm sure a lot/most of the process is the same so we'd be happy to assist you with whatever information we can.

iagree.gif

Thanks.

From what i've gathered on other immigration boards, "Administrative Processing" is directed at immigrants from a short list of high-risk nationalities, as well as those with perceived sensitive science & technology backgrounds. I think DV loterry winners from either of these sub-groups are flagged for AP etc.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks.

From what i've gathered on other immigration boards, "Administrative Processing" is directed at immigrants from a short list of high-risk nationalities, as well as those with perceived sensitive science & technology backgrounds. I think DV loterry winners from either of these sub-groups are flagged for AP etc.

That's true. AP is a nebulous concept that no one really knows about but if, for reasons that no government official is willing to clearly enunciate, the computer can flag a name. The system plays no favourites but if you have an Arabic derived name or Latino name or if your name is phonetically similar to a criminal and if you are male, you can expect the dreaded AP. You are not in AP. Greencard lottery winners are processed the same as everyone else, I knew one person who went through it but he was from Africa so it might be different for Europeans although I doubt it. Pop was cleared of AP but then he was "still being processed" or so an e-mail from MTL said. A few days later the visa arrived, makes no sense whatsoever. It seems MTL almost never responds to e-mails once the visa is mailed. So send them an e-mail.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
But definitely feel free to keep posting. I'm sure a lot/most of the process is the same so we'd be happy to assist you with whatever information we can.

Or fabricate something, either way. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Update: After lengthy email from my lawyer to Immigration Visa unit, and repeated phone calls - MTL processed and shipped passport. For the record, it took 2 weeks which seems to be standard turnaround these days - although who knows how long it could have been without lawyers intervention.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad it all worked out. Probably a bit different since its not a relationship visa! Visa has probably been sitting on someone elses desk who plays soliatire most of the time,lol Relationship Visa staff play snood, but only for a few hrs!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.