k0mplex

Wedding in the US Virgin Islands?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I just wanted to add my experience. My hubby came here on a K-1 on 9/10/09. We went to St. Thomas on 12/13/09. I was very nervous, but was also told my CBP that it is no problem. Leaving they scanned your passport. I was nervous because hubby's I-94 said good until 12/09/09 because that was the 90 days they give to marry (as you all know). Anways, the office just asked if we had gotten married and if we sent out our AOS packet yet. I confrimed both and that was it.

I read somewhere that some confusion comes in because they do verify that you are legally allowed in the U.S., otherwise it's like going to any other state. For example when we went to Vegas we just showed licenses. Then for St. Thomas , as a USC, I had to either bring my passport or my birth certificate. Hubby had to bring his Jamaican passport. Getting back to what I read, the article said that since St, Thomas is an island it's easier for someone that isn't suppose to be in the U.S. to just sail there and then fly into the states. Whereas flying state to state there isn't really that chance to get into one of those states illegally and then be trying to fly to another state. Hope that makes sense.

I don't know how the F-1 visa work, but I think if you are here legally then there is no problem with going to the USVI. I felt extra confident that it wasn't a problem when they scanned my husbands ID and his information came up and the officer was OK with what he saw. So to me that shows that it wasn't just an officer not knowing what was going on and we got lucky.

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming marriage!!

* I probably won't read back here so if anyone as questions just PM me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you so much for sharing that! It makes me feel better knowing that it has been done. My fiance will be coming in on a K1 and we like the idea of the USVI. Ha, any suggestions on locations there? I would love to hear about anyone's wedding there.

Thanks again, I feel so much better!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.