Isabel

Serious problem...i believe o.o

26 posts in this topic

It is surprising that they didn't do anything about this before -- how are they filing taxes? Does she have a tax id? How about working? No SS#. No greencard. Nothing.

And is she still filing taxes in Canada?

Well there is the thing that i dont agree with...in their lifestyle....but you know its their life.

No she is not working, has no ssn, nor does she file taxes since she cant work. She never filed taxes. He did over the army. Dont know how they did that. She is pretty much staying at home playing video games. :blink:

He finally got work after a year and hopefully gets a better paying one soon. right now they are supported by his mother, who lives with them.

I guess they just dont wanna face things and are indeed very laid back and sometimes rather far away from reality. I will trying to get them on the site. I am actually pushing this whole thing because I think it is very wrong what they are doing. She doesnt even have health insurance. If something happens and she needs treatment they are totally screwed.

Then again of course I tried the past year not to interfere with this whole thing too much since it is none of my business. I am just so mad. I mean we go through all that immigration thing, are seperated for months and months and then there are those couples who are so laid back and it doesnt really have consequences for them. That is just plain wrong in my opinion. But then again they are good people and I like em very much so Im trying to help out. It is just very hard to motivate them :wacko:

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

02/28/06...NOA1....I-130 VSC

May 2006..Medical in Frankfurt

06/14/06...I-130 approved via email [day 111]

06/19/06...NOA2....I-130 received via mail

07/10/06...talked to embassy to expedite the process

07/12/06...NVC stated case completed and sent to FRANKFURT[day 147]

07/17/06...received packet 3 from embassy

07/29/06...received packet 4

08/15/06...INTERVIEW at 7:30am- APPROVED

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

08/23/06...I am back home

09/20/06...received greencard in mail

09/27/06...received SSC in Mail

09/23/07...our daughter was born :)

30/05/07...filed for Removal of Conditions

07/05/08...received NOA for I-751

01/07/08...college here I come :)

waiting for biometrics and Approval.....

usa1.gifKeith & IsabelgermanyWHT_rd30.gif

I think the USC should make sure that USCIS has closed the case first. Then read the guidelines here for filing I-130 and AOS together. She has to be able to prove she was here legally when they married and that she hasn't left the country since she entered and was married. Remember to do this she would have had to enter the US without intent to marry but married while here and did not leave. She will have to convince USCIS of this to be approved.

alright to make things really complicated: she did go to canada again to visit her family after they got married. Does that make the whole thing worse? What does that change?

This may be a problem. Again, your friends need to do research on their own and if they can't understand things, they can get the help of an attorney. It sounds like they're just very laid-back about this whole thing...and they don't seem to care or want to find out what they need to do. This is the wrong approach and it may cause more problems in the future. How could they think that just by marrying the wife will get a green-card? Is there a country where its that easy to gain residency....without filling out any paperwork?

Please counsel your friends to get on VJ directly to become more informed, and they should at this point seek the assistance of a qualified lawyer. I don't know, but it could cause problems that she has left the country and returned since marrying? They may very well have to apply for a spousal visa (IR/CR1 or K3) and she may have to return there to inverview. I think leavin g the country negates the option of filing for Adjustment of Status while in the US.

-P

I agree with you. After reading all the advice here I will tell em to get a good lawyer. I think it is just way to complicated. He holds a security clearance right now and having a foreign wife is actually one thing that can jeopardize that thing when he goes to renew it....especially when she doesnt even have an alien number and all those things. My hubby just got his renewed and had to get my visa, greencard etc copied and even had to undergo a polygraph. So i mean in the long run they are screwed if they dont do anything. But we told them so they are aware of that. Right now the thing that is holding them back is the fear that she may get deported. I guess there is a decent chance. But after all it is their own mistake. :bonk: Things dont disappear just because you dont look at em.

Thanks all for the great advice :)

Isabel

Edited by Isabel

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

They sound very young.

Do caution her though, not to leave the US or she may be prohibited from returning.

I have no idea about their situation in terms of what they'd do if something were to happen to him. She'd have no standing here. Further, w/o a SS# (or equivalent) she wouldn't be able to get any life insurance that she may be due. If she were to run into any trouble, say, a car wreck, she could find this whole thing unravel if anyone realizes she's her illegally.

Apart from how much it sucks for them to have disregarded the law (they can't claim ignorance now, you know?) they just need to recognize that this is no joke -- she could be removed and not let back in. And how much would that suck? It is time for them to grow up -- and his mother should make that clear to both of them.

You're a good friend for pushing them on this. But his parents should really be doing it. Sigh...

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

They sound very young.

Do caution her though, not to leave the US or she may be prohibited from returning.

I have no idea about their situation in terms of what they'd do if something were to happen to him. She'd have no standing here. Further, w/o a SS# (or equivalent) she wouldn't be able to get any life insurance that she may be due. If she were to run into any trouble, say, a car wreck, she could find this whole thing unravel if anyone realizes she's her illegally.

Apart from how much it sucks for them to have disregarded the law (they can't claim ignorance now, you know?) they just need to recognize that this is no joke -- she could be removed and not let back in. And how much would that suck? It is time for them to grow up -- and his mother should make that clear to both of them.

You're a good friend for pushing them on this. But his parents should really be doing it. Sigh...

Well his mother is really trying hard but no matter how much she buggs em they procrestinate things. So far they just got really lucky nobody found out yet. She is not allowed to leave the US. They told her that when she last entered the US so she is afraid of that...so she wont go :thumbs:

Im actually trying to get them setup with an appointment at the local immigration office and see what they advice.

Isabel

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I noticed that you said he was in the Army ..... did he get deployed to a war zone at all ??

If so, the reason he may be putting his head into the sand about all of this could be due to PTSD .... in which case, this whole scenario is quite understandable .... and in it's own strange way, quite normal.

If this is the case, he needs to get help from the VA pronto .... because if his wife is deported (which could possibly happen by the sounds of it), it may not be a pretty sight.

If PTSD is an issue, the guy needs help, not more pressure.

Hi, I noticed that you said he was in the Army ..... did he get deployed to a war zone at all ??

If so, the reason he may be putting his head into the sand about all of this could be due to PTSD .... in which case, this whole scenario is quite understandable .... and in it's own strange way, quite normal.

If this is the case, he needs to get help from the VA pronto .... because if his wife is deported (which could possibly happen by the sounds of it), it may not be a pretty sight.

If PTSD is an issue, the guy needs help, not more pressure.

yes he was deployed to a warzone. But he doesnt have PTSD. But i do hear you. My hubby was in a warzone too, doesnt have PTSD but panic attacks....everyone is different. He always procrestinate things i mean not only that thing. And I am actually trying to get his wife to do the immigration stuff mainly, not him. Since he is WORKING, she is NOT doing anything. It is time to get her involved in things. I did all the immigration paperwork and had my hubby sign...except the affidavit obviously. So she can do it too. Not hard to setup appointments. Yes he needs to be present etc but after all it is her life and she should be the one pushing forward not him.

Isabel

Edited by Isabel

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
They sound very young.

Well his mother is really trying hard but no matter how much she buggs em they procrestinate things. So far they just got really lucky nobody found out yet. She is not allowed to leave the US. They told her that when she last entered the US so she is afraid of that...so she wont go :thumbs:

Im actually trying to get them setup with an appointment at the local immigration office and see what they advice.

Isabel

Don't get them an appointment at with immigration this is a big NONO ecause she will be detained possibly and then deported.

She was very lucky when she entered last that she wasn't deported. If they gave her an I-94 after she was married she still cannot adjust here I dont think. She will have to go to Canada to interview. They won't have an easy time of it but they will have to go through the waiver process.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but entering after you are married there isn't the possiblity to adjust here.

They also need to go to www.immigrate2us.com concerning waivers.

They sound very young.

Isabel

Don't get them an appointment at with immigration this is a big NONO ecause she will be detained possibly and then deported.

She was very lucky when she entered last that she wasn't deported. If they gave her an I-94 after she was married she still cannot adjust here I dont think. She will have to go to Canada to interview. They won't have an easy time of it but they will have to go through the waiver process.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but entering after you are married there isn't the possiblity to adjust here.

kk wont do that then. Sooooo I just looked in her passport. There is only one stamp for april 14. no date when to leave no I 94, no nothing. No 2 stamps. so no stamp when she visited canada. Is that good or bad?? :blink:

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
They sound very young.

Isabel

kk wont do that then. Sooooo I just looked in her passport. There is only one stamp for april 14. no date when to leave no I 94, no nothing. No 2 stamps. so no stamp when she visited canada. Is that good or bad?? :blink:

Is the date of the stamp after they were married?

They don't always stamp for Canada. I have 2 stamps -- one I flew and the other I asked for and this is after multiple crossings. I don't think my husband (Canadian citizen) has any stamps in his passport recording how many times he's crossed into the US (or back).

But they do scan often even if they don't stamp so there may be an electronic record even w/o a passport scan.

It is important that they don't lie.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

They don't always stamp for Canada. I have 2 stamps -- one I flew and the other I asked for and this is after multiple crossings. I don't think my husband (Canadian citizen) has any stamps in his passport recording how many times he's crossed into the US (or back).

But they do scan often even if they don't stamp so there may be an electronic record even w/o a passport scan.

It is important that they don't lie.

k i was wondering about that. They are calling up different lawyers now and see what the prices are. The first one they called wants $200 an hour. :blink:

That lawyer also said that she didnt need a visa to get into the US. Yeah , doh...I didnt need one to get into the US either since Germany has the visa waiver program. Still didnt mean I could come and go with no restrictions whenever I wanted.... :wacko: Ah well. I wonder how hard it is to find a good lawyer who knows what he does. So they might actually have her in the system electronically. Figures.

Well I guess from this point on they gotta work with the lawyer. I think it is weird that I am more concerned than they are :unsure::wacko:

Greets and txs sooo much

Isabel

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.