Marlita

Jamaica and the NVC

223 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think I just made the biggest mistake so early in the game... :unsure: ..I sent out my money order for the AOS bill and realized that I did not make it payable to the department of state but to National Visa Center....this is a problem isn't it...I am so mad at myself.. :angry: ...this is definitely an RFE right????...even though they say the petitioner part does not affect the overall time since its independent from everything else I didn't want to cause any unnecessary errors....do you think it will be a good idea to call and let them know what i did???... :crying:

NVC Journey Total days: 75

04.09.2008: Case# assigned

05.12.2008: DS230 Entered into System

06.18.2008: Case Complete (So upset that it took this long 37days)

US Embassy:

10.29.2008: Interview Date Assigned

11.17.2008: Medical Appointment

12.03.2008: Interview Date (FINALLY!!!)**APPROVED**

12.08.2008: Visa Delivered

12.21.2008: POE JFK

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Whooooooooo!!!!!!! :dance::dance: ...I got through NVC operator and she said that its no problem that I made it payable to National Visa Center instead of Department State...she said as long as you put your case # on the money order or cashier's check its ok....So everyone make sure you put your case # on everything.... :thumbs:

US Embassy:

Timeline
Whooooooooo!!!!!!! :dance::dance: ...I got through NVC operator and she said that its no problem that I made it payable to National Visa Center instead of Department State...she said as long as you put your case # on the money order or cashier's check its ok....So everyone make sure you put your case # on everything.... :thumbs:

You actually could have done it ever faster by paying online. The online payment system was acting wierd, but i hear a few people are getting thru now. No worries though it takes awhile for the AOS payment to generate the AOS forms anyway. Sounds like you are about a 1 week step behind me. Maybe we'll get to the Embassy at the same time. Are you planning on attending the interview with your husband?

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline
I just found this on the subject:

Step 1:

The K3 visa is classified as a non-immigrant visa while the CR-1/IR-1 visa is classified as an immigrant visa. This means that the CR-1/IR-1 visa holder enters the U.S. as a permanent resident while the K3 visa holder must make an application after entry to adjust status to permanent resident.

Step 2:

The CR-1/IR-1 visa holder can work immediately upon entry to the U.S. with no restrictions. K3 visa holders must apply for employment authorization or wait until they receive a green card before accepting employment.

Step 3:

Although the CR-1/IR-1 visa holder benefits by entering the U.S. as a permanent resident, the approval process can be significantly longer for a CR-1/IR-1 visa than a K3 visa, meaning a longer separation for the couple.

Step 4:

Both types of visas allow travel outside the U.S. and re-entry. The CR-1/IR-1 visa holder receives a green card allowing open travel and the K3 visa is a multi-entry visa, meaning the holder may travel outside the U.S. for up to two years, or until permanent residence is approved.

Step 5:

After arriving in the U.S., if the K3 marriage fails before adjustment of status is complete, the visa holder must leave the U.S. CR-1/IR-1 visa holders receive permanent resident status upon entry and can remain in the U.S. regardless of marital status.

Most all of this I already knew, except for Step 5...thats interesting. Anyway, I am a bit confused about the payment of the $1010. Is that the same amount of payment to lift conditions on all other visas too? And as far as K3 being faster thru Jamaica...usually not. I think K3 works for some African countries most and maybe a few others. Countries like those wait to give out interviews on immigrant visas almost 6 months AFTER completion at NVC...Jamaica doesnt wait that long (praise God), usually only 2-3max. So essentially the CR1 catches up to the K3 in the end.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Step 1:

The K3 visa is classified as a non-immigrant visa while the CR-1/IR-1 visa is classified as an immigrant visa. This means that the CR-1/IR-1 visa holder enters the U.S. as a permanent resident while the K3 visa holder must make an application after entry to adjust status to permanent resident.

Step 2:

The CR-1/IR-1 visa holder can work immediately upon entry to the U.S. with no restrictions. K3 visa holders must apply for employment authorization or wait until they receive a green card before accepting employment.

Step 3:

Although the CR-1/IR-1 visa holder benefits by entering the U.S. as a permanent resident, the approval process can be significantly longer for a CR-1/IR-1 visa than a K3 visa, meaning a longer separation for the couple.

Step 4:

Both types of visas allow travel outside the U.S. and re-entry. The CR-1/IR-1 visa holder receives a green card allowing open travel and the K3 visa is a multi-entry visa, meaning the holder may travel outside the U.S. for up to two years, or until permanent residence is approved.

Step 5:

After arriving in the U.S., if the K3 marriage fails before adjustment of status is complete, the visa holder must leave the U.S. CR-1/IR-1 visa holders receive permanent resident status upon entry and can remain in the U.S. regardless of marital status.

Most all of this I already knew, except for Step 5...thats interesting. Anyway, I am a bit confused about the payment of the $1010. Is that the same amount of payment to lift conditions on all other visas too? And as far as K3 being faster thru Jamaica...usually not. I think K3 works for some African countries most and maybe a few others. Countries like those wait to give out interviews on immigrant visas almost 6 months AFTER completion at NVC...Jamaica doesnt wait that long (praise God), usually only 2-3max. So essentially the CR1 catches up to the K3 in the end.

K-3 doesn't have the intermediate steps like the AOS bill and things like that, so that is where it is quicker.

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Timeline

You actually could have done it ever faster by paying online. The online payment system was acting wierd, but i hear a few people are getting thru now. No worries though it takes awhile for the AOS payment to generate the AOS forms anyway. Sounds like you are about a 1 week step behind me. Maybe we'll get to the Embassy at the same time. Are you planning on attending the interview with your husband?

I wanted to do the online but was having a hard time getting through an operator yesterday to get my IIN so I just decided to mail off the payment next day delivery...Now that I'm thinking about it while i was on the phone with one today I should have gotten it for the IV bill... :wacko: ..oh well...I will try again tonight...I'm definitely planning to go to the interview (God willing)...We will probably get an interview date around Aug/Sept if all goes well... :innocent:

US Embassy:

Timeline

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5:

K-3 doesn't have the intermediate steps like the AOS bill and things like that, so that is where it is quicker.

Yes, that is where it is quicker, but the way NVC assigns interviews, CR1 catches up and K3 is usually quicker by 2-3 months if that for Jamaica. However for many other countries K3 can be around 6 months or more quicker.

Ok, I just typed a HUGE breakdown of the K3 vs CR1 per the USCIS website and it completely failed and disappered. It was very useful info too!! Augh!!! i don't have time now to retype so I'll try and do it tonight.

Timeline
I wanted to do the online but was having a hard time getting through an operator yesterday to get my IIN so I just decided to mail off the payment next day delivery...Now that I'm thinking about it while i was on the phone with one today I should have gotten it for the IV bill... :wacko: ..oh well...I will try again tonight...I'm definitely planning to go to the interview (God willing)...We will probably get an interview date around Aug/Sept if all goes well... :innocent:

Yeah, I was thinking August too. I hope. Our 1 year anniv is in Aug. So is the IIN number the same for both AOS fee, and IV fee? Once the online system is up...James Shortcuts will be almost obsolete. This will save so much time and money. I just send my forms priority and not overnight...they get there in 2 days.

Timeline

Yeah, I was thinking August too. I hope. Our 1 year anniv is in Aug. So is the IIN number the same for both AOS fee, and IV fee? Once the online system is up...James Shortcuts will be almost obsolete. This will save so much time and money. I just send my forms priority and not overnight...they get there in 2 days.

i'm praying for you, I know u want hubby here quick fast. now i almost have no reason to go to j.a. i'm going thru traveling withdrawal.

question - is there a way you can pursue both at the same time, the k-3 and cr-1 and have them come up on the k-3 and then go back down for their cr-1 interview??

Timeline

i'm praying for you, I know u want hubby here quick fast. now i almost have no reason to go to j.a. i'm going thru traveling withdrawal.

question - is there a way you can pursue both at the same time, the k-3 and cr-1 and have them come up on the k-3 and then go back down for their cr-1 interview??

Good question, but no u can't get one visa while the other continues on. Actually since the July fee hike once you apply for K3(submit the I-129f in conjunction with I-130), the CR1 visa is supposed to cease after NOA2. Meaning once you decide to go K3 there's no goin back, or there's no waiting to see which visa wins the race to embassy the fastest. Which makes sense to me....cause it frees up employees from having to work 2 application packs for one person. However, there has been all this talk on the K3 forum that the K3 may become obsolete and phased out. Lots of folks were persuing K3 thru USCIS to find out that it was administratively closing. :wacko: Its a bunch of mess if you ask me. I know that K3 filers were getting NOA2 on average about 2 months later than CR1 during the whole back log fiasco. Seems like they are pulling it together, but there's alot of inconsistentcies with K3 as of lately.

I'm not trying to root for one visa over another here, just pointing out some of the issues that others who are trying to decide may want to take into consideration. I do believe that the K3's out of USCIS are coming back together....but it has been stated by USCIS officals that they are administratively closing that visa also.....so who knows :blink: .

Timeline

it would be nice if they could make the CR-1 process shorter 12 to 14 months to get a spouse and 6 to 8 months to get a spouse thru k-3 or financee thru k-1 doesn't seem fair. If they are phasing out the k-3 then the cr-1 should be speeded up.

Timeline
it would be nice if they could make the CR-1 process shorter 12 to 14 months to get a spouse and 6 to 8 months to get a spouse thru k-3 or financee thru k-1 doesn't seem fair. If they are phasing out the k-3 then the cr-1 should be speeded up.

Well on average the CR1 only takes 10-12 months. Many people were getting it done in 9-10 months before this fee hike, so it really isnt' that long. I estimate 10 months for my process...God willing. Some people take longer cause they had a few RFE's, didn't use shortcuts, abnormal security checks...etc etc. I on't understand how the K1 visas are so much faster on average....those seem to be the easiest way for fraud to happen and I would think they would be scrutinized more. I'm not against those that do K1's..let me just put that out there, cause people get sensitive...but i think about it and if a person wanted to move to the US for "false or wrong" pretinses the K1 is the EASIEST way to do it. All you have to do is propose to someone or get someone to propose to you. There's no other legal binding, no checks and balances, thats it. You could get here and flee if you wanted. Of course you'd be considered illegally here, but when has that stopped people before. We all know that you can live perfectly fine in this country without a valid visa. So for USCIS to approve those petitions faster is odd to me...I'd think it would be the other way around.

Timeline

Well on average the CR1 only takes 10-12 months. Many people were getting it done in 9-10 months before this fee hike, so it really isnt' that long. I estimate 10 months for my process...God willing. Some people take longer cause they had a few RFE's, didn't use shortcuts, abnormal security checks...etc etc. I on't understand how the K1 visas are so much faster on average....those seem to be the easiest way for fraud to happen and I would think they would be scrutinized more. I'm not against those that do K1's..let me just put that out there, cause people get sensitive...but i think about it and if a person wanted to move to the US for "false or wrong" pretinses the K1 is the EASIEST way to do it. All you have to do is propose to someone or get someone to propose to you. There's no other legal binding, no checks and balances, thats it. You could get here and flee if you wanted. Of course you'd be considered illegally here, but when has that stopped people before. We all know that you can live perfectly fine in this country without a valid visa. So for USCIS to approve those petitions faster is odd to me...I'd think it would be the other way around.

Hey Marlita...I hear you. It does seem like to me that there should not be as long a wait period as there is for a CR-1 versus the K-1. But that's a debate for another day. What I do hope is that the wait time for CR-1's could be cut down to 6-7 months. I know it's wishful thinking, but gosh...waiting for a whole year to be with your spouse is enough to drive anyone mad!! I was explaining this whole visa process & immigration thing to my co-workers the other day. They were all like, "Why doesn't your husband just come over? Doesn't he have a passport?" I was like YEAH, but it isn't that easy. I said to one of them that I understand why people do it illegally. It's easier, and in some cases, there seems to be LESS risk than doing it the right way!! Go figure! But I have to believe that God's will will be done, and until that day comes I will wait...

4ABAm4.png

Removing Conditions:

10/27/11: Petition mailed to VSC

10/28/11: Package received and signed for by Renaud

10/31/11: NOA1

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well, in defense of the K-1's, I don't think they are really the easiest way to fraud. You have to file saying you want to marry someone and move to the US to do it. You have to wait out the entire processing time, which is additional proof that you really do want to do it. You must then marry within the 90 day window and then file for the AOS and the green card. At any point, you can stop the visa or the AOS processing and the beneficiary would either be SOL or have to go back because they had not adjusted.

With the other two visas.......well, anyone can marry someone on the spur of the moment. Just because most that we know of shout it from the hills that they had big ceremonies with the beneficiary's family present, there are those who do it quietly in quickie ceremonies, sometimes under the guise of drunken good times in foreign countries with sweet talk ringing in their ears. Marrying someone does not really prove a thing. Look at someone like Pamela Anderson.....do you really see her marriages as long lasting? Drunken tryts most were.

I sometimes think they make the wait so long so people are forced to deal with some of the issues.

I don't think there is an absolute in any of this. It's all a ####### shoot.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.