Marlita

Jamaica and the NVC

223 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Thanks for starting this thread...this will be really helpful..my hubby is in Kingston now applying for his police record...this is the website if anyone needs info for applying for the police record: http://www.mns.org.jm/ApplyingforPoliceRec...79/Default.aspx

I'm planning to do the email thing too...setting one up under my hubby name...he lives in the bushes too...LOL... I found another thing interesting about how NVC assigns case #(thought I would share it)

3 letters=embassy

first 4#s = year

next 3 = subtract 500 and that is the day of the year when the case was assigned (ex.724-500=224th day on calendar = 08.13)

the last couple of digits = how many petitions they received for that embassy on that day they entered it in the system(ex. 029=your the 29 petition they received for KNG)

The only thing I'm not sure about that is if they mean all petitions like CR-1, K-1s etc...or per specific petition.

Just a little knowledge I would like to share. :thumbs: I hope everyone has a speedy NVC experience because USCIS was sure not. :whistle:

hey guys. you may have already known this..but if you filed taxes jointly with your spouse and they dont live here yet and/or you used an ITIN then we are NOT elig. for the economic stimulus payment..BOO

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Marlita,

Thank you so much for starting this thread......it is so much easier than searching the entire website.

We filed our IR-1....sent in all our documents but my hubby got a RFE(NVC said it was sent of March 29...but nothing yet :whistle: ) I wonder how much longer this letter will take to arrive. My hubby want to travel to Ja. by the end of the week....and ooh by the way im keeping my fingers cross that he gets his US passport by then (He applied on April 9th :blush: ).

We seem to have so much on our plates. Any suggestions???

Thanks guys,

Kishmar

You know sometimes NVC can generate a "false" RFE because its just saying that its missing documentation that you will eventually be sending to them anyway. Its hard for me to know in your situation because I would need to know what was the last items you sent to NVC before getting the RFE phone notice. In most cases, when the NVC line says something was sent out...it really means something was generated, not when it was mailed out of NVC. Once things are indeed generated they get sent to mailroom and can stay there for up to 2 weeks in some cases. This means that it may take alot longer for the item to reach you than you first anticipated. That sounds like the case with your RFE notice.

Does anyone knows how long it takes the NVC to review a DS-230??? NVC operator told me they received it on April 7th.

Thanks,

Kishmar

Per some other folks timelines it looks like it takes around 2 weeks.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline
Thanks for starting this thread...this will be really helpful..my hubby is in Kingston now applying for his police record...this is the website if anyone needs info for applying for the police record: http://www.mns.org.jm/ApplyingforPoliceRec...79/Default.aspx

I'm planning to do the email thing too...setting one up under my hubby name...he lives in the bushes too...LOL... I found another thing interesting about how NVC assigns case #(thought I would share it)

3 letters=embassy

first 4#s = year

next 3 = subtract 500 and that is the day of the year when the case was assigned (ex.724-500=224th day on calendar = 08.13)

the last couple of digits = how many petitions they received for that embassy on that day they entered it in the system(ex. 029=your the 29 petition they received for KNG)

The only thing I'm not sure about that is if they mean all petitions like CR-1, K-1s etc...or per specific petition.

Just a little knowledge I would like to share. :thumbs: I hope everyone has a speedy NVC experience because USCIS was sure not. :whistle:

Oh thats really cool info about how the NVC number is generated! :thumbs: Thanks! i need to get my hubby crackin on the police cert. He was all ready to go and get it and surprise me with it about a month ago and I told him hold off cause i thought our case was moving slow. Now our case has sped up and I'm scared I won't get it in time. :wacko:

Timeline

3 letters=embassy

first 4#s = year

hey guys. you may have already known this..but if you filed taxes jointly with your spouse and they dont live here yet and/or you used an ITIN then we are NOT elig. for the economic stimulus payment..BOO

You know, I read that on turbotax, but I havent even filed my taxes yet.....I really need to get on that. But I'm wondering if i can truly claim my husband as an exemption if he doesnt live here. Turbo tax let me file him as an exemption but also wanted me to enter a SSN. i just skippen SSN and wrote in non-resident alien. hmmm. Well i won't use the ITIN now.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

3 letters=embassy

first 4#s = year

Oh thats really cool info about how the NVC number is generated! :thumbs: Thanks! i need to get my hubby crackin on the police cert. He was all ready to go and get it and surprise me with it about a month ago and I told him hold off cause i thought our case was moving slow. Now our case has sped up and I'm scared I won't get it in time. :wacko:

No worries my dear. You can pay Ja$2000 for expedited 3-day service instead of the Ja$100 for 21-day service.

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline

3 letters=embassy

first 4#s = year

You know, I read that on turbotax, but I havent even filed my taxes yet.....I really need to get on that. But I'm wondering if i can truly claim my husband as an exemption if he doesnt live here. Turbo tax let me file him as an exemption but also wanted me to enter a SSN. i just skippen SSN and wrote in non-resident alien. hmmm. Well i won't use the ITIN now.

yeah. we filed and i sent it in with the w-7 and then they filed it from there with the itin

the itin comes in handy for stuff like adding to a checking acct. and stuff.

i also read that if you filed with an itin and dont get the stimulus then you can claim that deduction on taxes next year..(assuming your SO is here by that point..I am beginning to doubt)

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Timeline

I haven't reached this far in my journey yet but thanks SO MUCH Marlita for posting :thumbs:

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

04/22/09 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

08/27/09 - RFE Hardcopy Received

09/11/09 - Evidence sent to CSC

09/16/09 - Evidence Received by CSC

09/20/09 - Touch...on a Sunday???

09/25/09 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. Dated 9/18

NVC Timeline

10/01/09 - NVC Case Number Assigned

10/02/09 - DS3023 & I-864 Bill Generated

10/02/09 - Paid I-864 fee online

10/03/09 - DS3032 Emailed

10/13/09 - Sent I-864 Packet

10/14/09 - NVC Received I-864 Packet

10/20/09 - I-864 Received via AVR

10/22/09 - IV Bill Generated

Timeline
Marlita,

Thank you so much for starting this thread......it is so much easier than searching the entire website.

We filed our IR-1....sent in all our documents but my hubby got a RFE(NVC said it was sent of March 29...but nothing yet :whistle: ) I wonder how much longer this letter will take to arrive. My hubby want to travel to Ja. by the end of the week....and ooh by the way im keeping my fingers cross that he gets his US passport by then (He applied on April 9th :blush: ).

Thanks guys,

Kishmar

You know sometimes NVC can generate a "false" RFE because its just saying that its missing documentation that you will eventually be sending to them anyway. Its hard for me to know in your situation because I would need to know what was the last items you sent to NVC before getting the RFE phone notice. In most cases, when the NVC line says something was sent out...it really means something was generated, not when it was mailed out of NVC. Once things are indeed generated they get sent to mailroom and can stay there for up to 2 weeks in some cases. This means that it may take alot longer for the item to reach you than you first anticipated. That sounds like the case with your RFE notice.

Does anyone knows how long it takes the NVC to review a DS-230??? NVC operator told me they received it on April 7th.

Thanks,

Kishmar

Hi My hubby received the RFE mail last night (April 14th)

Date on the letter says March 29th, Post mark April 11th...

Its amazing how the NVC does things.. I guess one just have to decide on waiting on these people make sure you get it right the first time around so you dont have to deal with longer than necessary

"Love is patient, love is kind, love keeps no record of wrongs"

Timeline
I haven't reached this far in my journey yet but thanks SO MUCH Marlita for posting :thumbs:

Have you started your journey yet? If so, which visa will you be leaning towards?

4ABAm4.png

Removing Conditions:

10/27/11: Petition mailed to VSC

10/28/11: Package received and signed for by Renaud

10/31/11: NOA1

Timeline
Marlita,

Thanks guys,

Kishmar

Thanks,

Kishmar

Its amazing how the NVC does things.. I guess one just have to decide on waiting on these people make sure you get it right the first time around so you dont have to deal with longer than necessary

If you don't mind me asking why did you get an RFE??? :blush:

NVC Journey Total days: 75

04.09.2008: Case# assigned

05.12.2008: DS230 Entered into System

06.18.2008: Case Complete (So upset that it took this long 37days)

US Embassy:

10.29.2008: Interview Date Assigned

11.17.2008: Medical Appointment

12.03.2008: Interview Date (FINALLY!!!)**APPROVED**

12.08.2008: Visa Delivered

12.21.2008: POE JFK

Timeline
Marlita,

Thanks guys,

Kishmar

Thanks,

Kishmar

If you don't mind me asking why did you get an RFE??? :blush:

He did not date the Affidavit of Support form and he did not send in the 2007 taxes/w2

"Love is patient, love is kind, love keeps no record of wrongs"

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Lita,

It is the K-1 for which you have to file the AOS within 90 days, NOT THE K-3, THE K-3 IS A TWO YEAR VISA. If you want you can do the K-3 and then file for the EADand get a SS#. Then your spouse can help with paying for the AOS. And it is a two year re-entry VISA so no Advance Parole is needed.

yes it is a bit redundant, because at the end you still have to pay the $1010 for things you don't need, but if done right, no two year green card is needed. i.e. by the time me and hubby file the AOS, we will be married for two years and he will get a 10 year green card, so no lifting of conditions.

When I first joined VJ, I read where you could pursue K-3 AND CR-1 at the same time, so technically hubby could have came up here on his k-3 and went back for his cr-1 interview.

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Timeline
Lita,

It is the K-1 for which you have to file the AOS within 90 days, NOT THE K-3, THE K-3 IS A TWO YEAR VISA. If you want you can do the K-3 and then file for the EADand get a SS#. Then your spouse can help with paying for the AOS. And it is a two year re-entry VISA so no Advance Parole is needed.

yes it is a bit redundant, because at the end you still have to pay the $1010 for things you don't need, but if done right, no two year green card is needed. i.e. by the time me and hubby file the AOS, we will be married for two years and he will get a 10 year green card, so no lifting of conditions.

When I first joined VJ, I read where you could pursue K-3 AND CR-1 at the same time, so technically hubby could have came up here on his k-3 and went back for his cr-1 interview.

??? I'm confused...so essentially the K3 is just like the CR1 but you STILL have to pay $1010 for things you don't even need? That doesnt sound right, so many I'm not getting this. Is there not a limited time that you must file AOS on K3? It seems like the K3 is almost the same as CR1 but for some reason you have to pay a super high fee. The CR1 visa is a 2 year re-entry visa too, but you don't have to pay $1010. In 2 years on CR1 you will get a 10 year card after lifting conditions and I think that fee is around $500 or so, but with K3 you STILL have to pay to lift conditions after 2 years. If you were already married 2 years before initial visa issue you'd get the IR1-10year card. I really don't understand the K3 visa. :wacko:

Edited by Marlita

Timeline

Marlita;

As far as I understand the K3 visa, which is also considered a non-immigrant visa. It allows your hubby get here faster than the CR1. They both need AOS if the marriage is less than 2 years and you get a conditional green card and have to file to remove conditions before the two year period expires thus the $1010 fee. If you have been married for more than 2 years you are considered an IR-1 which is an immigrant visa and is issued a 10-year GC with no lifting of conditions and no additional fees to pay.

That is what I have garnered from reading on VJ.

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline

I just found this on the subject:

Step 1:

The K3 visa is classified as a non-immigrant visa while the CR-1/IR-1 visa is classified as an immigrant visa. This means that the CR-1/IR-1 visa holder enters the U.S. as a permanent resident while the K3 visa holder must make an application after entry to adjust status to permanent resident.

Step 2:

The CR-1/IR-1 visa holder can work immediately upon entry to the U.S. with no restrictions. K3 visa holders must apply for employment authorization or wait until they receive a green card before accepting employment.

Step 3:

Although the CR-1/IR-1 visa holder benefits by entering the U.S. as a permanent resident, the approval process can be significantly longer for a CR-1/IR-1 visa than a K3 visa, meaning a longer separation for the couple.

Step 4:

Both types of visas allow travel outside the U.S. and re-entry. The CR-1/IR-1 visa holder receives a green card allowing open travel and the K3 visa is a multi-entry visa, meaning the holder may travel outside the U.S. for up to two years, or until permanent residence is approved.

Step 5:

After arriving in the U.S., if the K3 marriage fails before adjustment of status is complete, the visa holder must leave the U.S. CR-1/IR-1 visa holders receive permanent resident status upon entry and can remain in the U.S. regardless of marital status.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.